• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Trouble in China

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Are the Yellow Vests going to invade Britain? ;)

Looking at that bbc photo i would say that even if they were i dont think 15 people in yellow vests would make much difference.

And whats to invade, the biggest gripe is fuel prices and fuel is dearer in the UK

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Question; what do yellow vests, EU, Britain and France have to do with "Big Trouble in China" and the protests in Hong Kong....I'm just asking because I don't see relationship there....have never even seen a student protester in China wearing a yellow vest either....

so based on topic you leave me little choice

5414660_8716bf615a.jpg

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Question; what do yellow vests, EU, Britain and France have to do with "Big Trouble in China" and the protests in Hong Kong....I'm just asking because I don't see relationship there....have never even seen a student protester in China wearing a yellow vest either....
I was rather hoping that people like you, @Audie , and @Revoltingest( people with Chinese connections) would help sort out what's really going on in Hong Kong.

What it appears to me is that the mainlanders are consistently breaching agreements they made with Hong Kong over 20 years ago. People in Hong Kong are resisting Chinese authoritarianism, in favor of the representative government they are used to and prefer.

What I'm seeing is the USA government, this time the Trump administration, throwing democracy and liberty under the bus because it's "bad for business".
If I'm misunderstanding something, perhaps people better acquainted with the reality would express an opinion.
Tom

Wu Wei

I was rather hoping that people like you, @Audie , and @Revoltingest( people with Chinese connections) would help sort out what's really going on in Hong Kong.

What it appears to me is that the mainlanders are consistently breaching agreements they made with Hong Kong over 20 years ago. People in Hong Kong are resisting Chinese authoritarianism, in favor of the representative government they are used to and prefer.

What I'm seeing is the USA government, this time the Trump administration, throwing democracy and liberty under the bus because it's "bad for business".
If I'm misunderstanding something, perhaps people better acquainted with the reality would express an opinion.
Tom

See post #34

Also, where was it ever agreed upon with Beijing that they would allow voting for officials in Hong Kong. They allowed them 50 years of business as usual, that is all.

A big issue here is "The Basic Law" and the fact that it was agreed that the central government in Beijing maintains control over Hong Kong's foreign affairs as well as the legal interpretation of the Basic Law. That left Beijing a lot of lea-way, and at the moment it appears Beijing's interpretation is that the Basic Law is a purely domestic legislation gets its authority from the Constitution of the People's Republic of China.

The extradition issue, the appointing of a Governor of Hong Kong seem to be what started all of this and to be honest it is more of a student uprising at the moment.

Originally it was people and students of Hong Kong. but the protests were vastly different. The average person in Hong Kong protesting was fairly calm and peaceful, a lot of people, and no violence and little disruption to business. The student side started to disrupt business, that would get many of the Hong Kong folks off your side and then things got violent. Don't see many, if there are any, regular citizens of Hong Kong protesting, but the students still are. But there are aso those in Hong Kong that have no issue at all with Beijing and just want things back to normal. Not sure how many of for and against there are to compare, I just know it is not all. Also pretty darn sure there is little or no mainland Chinese support for this, and even if there is, they are not going to say anything about it. Even those on We Chat watch what they say very VERY closely as it applies to Hong Kong

Last edited:

Wu Wei

Sorry, I missed that.

But I'm still seeing the same thing I was before. The USA throwing basic principles under the bus because it's not profitable to support them.
Tom

Where and how?
What do you expect the US to do?

Shad

Veteran Member
Perhaps China's concern will be about Hong Kong finances. The protests do not mean much. It could be put down in two days with harsher methods. Who cares about a few roaches killed? It is not very wise to be protesting in China. It does not really change anything.

Too much media coverage in HK itself. There are too many people with access to the internet in HK posting videos, commentary, etc. HK has more sympathy as it is more "Western" if not in reality by perception. Compared to the Muslim minority coverage is very distant. Little is getting outside from those the government is taking action again. The claims of terrorism and radicalization resonate with a lot of the Western public.

Notanumber

A Free Man

so based on topic you leave me little choice

5414660_8716bf615a.jpg

There is civil unrest much closer to home for us in the UK and it has lasted much longer than what is going on in HK.

Wu Wei

Same thing we do to everyone.
Tax the stuff that they want us to buy. That sort of thing.
Tom

Tax who;

China? We had a trade war and it made no difference in Hong Kong. Actually it would likely only make it harder in Hong Kong and give CCTV a field day as it applies to blaming the USA for the issues in Hong Kong

Tax the businesses in Hong Kong? They are not Chinese, they are European and American and all you do there is push them to look elsewhere for what they need and possibly push them faster to Shenzhen, thereby killing Hong Kong faster.

I don't see where there is much the US can do in Hong Kong and part of that has to do with not having full support of Hong Kong natives when it comes to US getting involved. It is not a second Tiananmen, the military is not involved and it is being handled by police. Add to that many of the protestors have been labeled terrorists by Beijing.

Wu Wei

There is civil unrest much closer to home for us in the UK and it has lasted much longer than what is going on in HK.

Post title

"Big Trouble in China"

Not big trouble in the UK or US or with "Yellow Vests want to discuss that, start a thread for it

Again, what does yellow vests, EU, Britain and France have to do with "Big Trouble in China" and the protests in Hong Kong.

Having similar issues does not mean it has anything to do with China. If you start a post to discuss the Anglo-Zanzibar War, which lasted about 40 minutes, it does not mean I can start discussing the US Civil war and the Russian Civil war just because they were longer with higher death tolls.

Just saying.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Post title

"Big Trouble in China"

Not big trouble in the UK or US or with "Yellow Vests want to discuss that, start a thread for it

Again, what does yellow vests, EU, Britain and France have to do with "Big Trouble in China" and the protests in Hong Kong.

Having similar issues does not mean it has anything to do with China. If you start a post to discuss the Anglo-Zanzibar War, which lasted about 40 minutes, it does not mean I can start discussing the US Civil war and the Russian Civil war just because they were longer with higher death tolls.

Just saying.

If the creator of the thread wants me to butt out, I will do.