• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Big Tent" Paganism is Collapsing?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
As a religious movement, contemporary Paganism was (and in many ways still is) countercultural. Countercultural movements start by defining themselves in opposition to various mainstream cultural norms and in that they maintain some semblance of unity through mutual disagreement with those norms. As contemporary Paganism has matured, it has undergone numerous transformations among which is a greater focus on defining ourselves on our own terms rather than as a counter to mainstream culture. Through this we have had a myriad of Pagan traditions arise, some of which resist or refuse to use the word "Pagan" to describe themselves.

At the close of the 2010s, what is the state of "big tent" Paganism? Are we still a cohesive religious movement or are we beginning to fragment further? What is your perspective on the evolution of contemporary Paganism over the past decade or two? How do you see it changing in the coming decades?

This post is partially inspired by this here - Paganism in the 2020s – What to Expect in the Next Decade - which got me thinking about the issue.

amorphous_constellation

It probably has to grow enough so that it naturally influences culture, rather than remains as something seen as 'anti-cultural.' Then, the culture responds to it with adapting new ideas that go mainstream, new narratives that achieve unity etc. It has to reach a point where there are at least familiar cultural centers in everyday american towns, and from there one can think about whatever the result of that will be. I think the whole thing will steadily grow throughout the decade, and things like that might start to gradually occur

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Pantheacon, critical to the development of big-tent Paganism on the West Coast of my country, is meeting for the last time this month, and its organizers cite factional squabbling and debates as a major reason why. It cannot be a good sign if you want to imagine an ecumenical future.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Pantheacon, critical to the development of big-tent Paganism on the West Coast of my country, is meeting for the last time this month, and its organizers cite factional squabbling and debates as a major reason why. It cannot be a good sign if you want to imagine an ecumenical future.

Wow, I'd heard a few rumors about the big conventions starting to shut down but I hadn't heard about this one. I've never been to one myself as I largely lack the means.

Bear Wild

As a religious movement, contemporary Paganism was (and in many ways still is) countercultural. Countercultural movements start by defining themselves in opposition to various mainstream cultural norms and in that they maintain some semblance of unity through mutual disagreement with those norms. As contemporary Paganism has matured, it has undergone numerous transformations among which is a greater focus on defining ourselves on our own terms rather than as a counter to mainstream culture. Through this we have had a myriad of Pagan traditions arise, some of which resist or refuse to use the word "Pagan" to describe themselves.

At the close of the 2010s, what is the state of "big tent" Paganism? Are we still a cohesive religious movement or are we beginning to fragment further? What is your perspective on the evolution of contemporary Paganism over the past decade or two? How do you see it changing in the coming decades?

This post is partially inspired by this here - Paganism in the 2020s – What to Expect in the Next Decade - which got me thinking about the issue.

I appreciate the article on the link. It was nice to see that non-theistic Nature worship still an option which is the best description my religion.
Do not know if anyone is interested but here is just as a personal experience that I went through for what is worth. I started following a pagan path about 20 years ago as I lost all faith in the Christian religion I was raised in. The lack of appreciation of nature and the clear male orientation to male dominance finally separated me. I found the option in much of the pagan believes I found. Unfortunately I lived in a part of the country with little support. The closest connection was the Native American spirituality which I was accepted well in but always seen still as separate. When trying to discuss ideas in the cauldron form I came across a negative respect because is I saw the symbolic wealth of Northern European pre-Christian myths and archeology rather than believing in the gods and goddess or pantheon movement at that time. I also found a strange blending of pre-Christian and Christian beliefs with strong hierarchy development characteristic of roman designed Christian structure. Without anyone I could find a identify with I lost a connection with paganism and lost as well with any religious group.
Ironically I decided to take a trip to Ireland for vacation and remembered my pagan view of the world. I started my trip to Tara and arrived in mist surrounded by ravens and crows

followed a hike up to longcrew with sheep and in awe of the carine and its megalithic art.

Then to the burren of Cavan

followed a hike up to Carrowkeel

then to a stone circle near kinnity castle

and finally to end with knowth.

and inside of knowth

and Newgrange

The trip reminded me of how much connection I have with Celtic pagan connection.
I even entered the sacred river of the Boyne as well as enjoyed a the night of Samhain on the hill of terra.
So even if I still see the tales as symbolic as well as the gods and goddesses of the Celtic world I still feel the connection.
Evidently I see nature as the source of spirituality but I seem to see it through celtic pagan symbolism.
Next visit is planned for Norway to connect with my norse pagan beliefs.

GoodbyeDave

I'd say that "big tent paganism" was always something of an illusion — neopagans trying to take over the rest of us. That's why I don't use the term pagan of myself — I don't want to be associated with atheists who are only there for the magic. I can relate to the Heathen, to Shinto, to Vodu — but not to Wicca or Druidry. To describe paganism (in the widest sense) as counter-cultural is also false, save for some neopagans.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd say that "big tent paganism" was always something of an illusion — neopagans trying to take over the rest of us. That's why I don't use the term pagan of myself — I don't want to be associated with atheists who are only there for the magic.

I haven't met any atheists who are only there for the spellcraft who call themselves Pagan. They usually describe themselves as occultists or something similar. I guess you had a different experience?

In any case, fair point about the "big tent" being something of an illusion from the get go. Well, I don't know if I'd say illusion so much as recognizing it's a construct with some academic usefulness but limited application outside of that endeavor. Classifying religions and religious movements is never easy, and the way we think about them is always something of an artifice no matter how we slice up the pie, as it were.

To describe paganism (in the widest sense) as counter-cultural is also false, save for some neopagans.

To clarify, the OP doesn't intend to refer to Paganism in the widest sense but specifically the contemporary religious movement in English-speaking (aka, Western) nations. As minority religions that adopt beliefs and practices clearly outside of prevailing Western norms, isn't that inherently countercultural? Countercultural just means something is opposed to or different from prevailing norms. And oh boy, is anything outside of monotheist theology countercultural in the West... I remember this on almost a daily basis reading threads on RF. :sweat:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I appreciate the article on the link. It was nice to see that non-theistic Nature worship still an option which is the best description my religion.
Do not know if anyone is interested but here is just as a personal experience that I went through for what is worth. I started following a pagan path about 20 years ago as I lost all faith in the Christian religion I was raised in. The lack of appreciation of nature and the clear male orientation to male dominance finally separated me. I found the option in much of the pagan believes I found. Unfortunately I lived in a part of the country with little support. The closest connection was the Native American spirituality which I was accepted well in but always seen still as separate. When trying to discuss ideas in the cauldron form I came across a negative respect because is I saw the symbolic wealth of Northern European pre-Christian myths and archeology rather than believing in the gods and goddess or pantheon movement at that time. I also found a strange blending of pre-Christian and Christian beliefs with strong hierarchy development characteristic of roman designed Christian structure. Without anyone I could find a identify with I lost a connection with paganism and lost as well with any religious group.
Ironically I decided to take a trip to Ireland for vacation and remembered my pagan view of the world. I started my trip to Tara and arrived in mist surrounded by ravens and crows

followed a hike up to longcrew with sheep and in awe of the carine and its megalithic art.

Then to the burren of Cavan

followed a hike up to Carrowkeel

then to a stone circle near kinnity castle

and finally to end with knowth.

and inside of knowth

and Newgrange

The trip reminded me of how much connection I have with Celtic pagan connection.
I even entered the sacred river of the Boyne as well as enjoyed a the night of Samhain on the hill of terra.
So even if I still see the tales as symbolic as well as the gods and goddesses of the Celtic world I still feel the connection.
Evidently I see nature as the source of spirituality but I seem to see it through celtic pagan symbolism.
Next visit is planned for Norway to connect with my norse pagan beliefs.
Beautiful pics. Thanks for sharing.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'd say that "big tent paganism" was always something of an illusion — neopagans trying to take over the rest of us. That's why I don't use the term pagan of myself — I don't want to be associated with atheists who are only there for the magic. I can relate to the Heathen, to Shinto, to Vodu — but not to Wicca or Druidry. To describe paganism (in the widest sense) as counter-cultural is also false, save for some neopagans.
I don't like the term "pagan", either. Most Hellenic polytheists don't seem to and that makes sense.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I love the word Pagan. I like how it feels as well as my personal associations with it.

I think there will always be an underlying "pagan" movement that never quite mainstreams enough to lose its spirit. I see it as similar to the Goth counterculture. It had some mainstreaming, especially through stores catering to the style. But there is still a striking underground counterculture that retains its original spirit.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't like the term "pagan", either. Most Hellenic polytheists don't seem to and that makes sense.

Honestly, I've grown less fond of the term myself - at least with how I see the term sometimes being used. I have a more restrictive understanding of what "Pagan" means that excludes many groups that really are better understood as separate movements (that is how they are treated in academia) but then I constantly have to interact with folks who use a broader brush anyway.

I do find Beckett's model of "big tent Paganism" useful, though, and I probably should have clarified his model in the OP because I think it's maybe been causing some misunderstandings. Beckett conceptualizes Paganism as a tent with four pillars that represent where someone's center is for their tradition:

1. Nature - aka, "dark green religion" that has a strong commitment to nature
  2. Community - aka, tribal religion that usually includes ancestor worship and hospitality
  3. Deity - aka, polytheist religion that focuses on relationships with the gods
  4. Self - aka, self-transformative improvement and commitment to personal excellence
Each of us often falls more under one or two of these pillars than others. For my part, I'm really heavy on the "nature" and "deity" end of things, but not so much the "community" and "self" aspects though these are present in my path as well to some extent. Maybe I should make a separate thread where we can discuss where we fall in this model... haha.

GoodbyeDave

I haven't met any atheists who are only there for the spellcraft who call themselves Pagan. They usually describe themselves as occultists or something similar. I guess you had a different experience?
You might try searching on the web for atheopagan. And, to use language accurately, anyone who believes that the gods are only archetypes of the collective unconscious (whatever they may be) is an atheist.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
You might try searching on the web for atheopagan. And, to use language accurately, anyone who believes that the gods are only archetypes of the collective unconscious (whatever they may be) is an atheist.

I've heard "naturalistic Pagan" but not this term. Must be a newer one? I tend to find the inclusion of atheism within the framework of Paganism to be questionable and consider "atheist Pagan" to be an oxymoron (much like I'd find "monotheist Pagan" to be an oxymoron). That said,
I try to respect the labels/titles people use for themselves regardless.

Bear Wild

I've heard "naturalistic Pagan" but not this term. Must be a newer one? I tend to find the inclusion of atheism within the framework of Paganism to be questionable and consider "atheist Pagan" to be an oxymoron (much like I'd find "monotheist Pagan" to be an oxymoron). That said, I try to respect the labels/titles people use for themselves regardless.

You present an article which makes someone like me still connected with a pattern of belief then now we come up with terms to separate those who see the gods and goddesses as important symbolic elements. This is a bit disheartening. I appreciate the god Dagda and for what that god stands for as do I appreciate the goddess Morrigan with all of her symbolism. Their union as the union of the tribe with the land. While standing on the banks of river the Boyne I felt a connection with the goddess Boann. Is the goddess the river symbolic of the water to the land both uncontrolled and providing the life sustaining water or a female human like goddess with human like characteristics? Which way did the Celts or the pre-celts see the goddess such as Boann?

Even if I do not believe in literal gods and goddess as specific entities I still see them as aspects that real to me. This may seem confusing to those who see gods and goddesses literally but for me at this time it works. So am I less pagan than those who believe differently? Personally I think the image of much of the gods and goddesses changed anyway with the influence of the Romans and Christians when they were finally recorded in writing making them more human like than what they may have been seen before this contact.

I think there is an advantage to having the tolerance of accepting the range in views of those who appreciate and share a folklore and shared history. Who knows as I approach the Norse eddas and sagas and hopefully visit the area where they were honored I will meet up with Odin and change my opinion. I experience new things every day so who knows.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
You present an article which makes someone like me still connected with a pattern of belief then now we come up with terms to separate those who see the gods and goddesses as important symbolic elements.

Could you clarify this a bit for me? I think I follow what you're saying, but I'm not sure since I may be thinking about the nature of the gods and what it means to be a theist differently than you do. Are you saying that mythological literalism is somehow required for theism?
To my mind, it doesn't really matter what you "believe" about the gods as much as it matters how you
behave towards them. That is to say, the whole "literal versus symbolic" thing is something of a false dichotomy or simply unimportant to me - it's still theism either way if you are engaging in worship. If this has nothing to do with what you intended to say, please disregard... haha.

Nayana

I've found that people are being redrawn into Paganism and Wicca. I myself have been away while I was at university but have reconnected with a local group that had about 8 members and is now 12-15 regularly.

I do know that in Sydney that Pagan and Wiccan covens are often 'closed' which means that rarely new members from the general public are being admitted into the circles and most new people are sourced from peoples families and close connections.

I think the pagan umbrella has issues with uniting, there are a lot of gods and goddesses and every coven has their own set of practises.

What I would like to see:

Just like how the wheel of the year, the 8 holidays, gives unity across almost the entire umbrella (And also corresponds to many hindu holidays - see Indo-European religions.) There needs to be some practises which unite all pagans.

I feel that the 5 offerings are the perfect place to unite. Regardless on the deity, that the representation of earth air fire water and spirit/ether would be a good place to unite and provide a basis of common practise.