• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big health insurance lied about Canada

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I wonder how long the insurance industry and its bought and paid for politicians will be able to hoodwink Americans in accepting a third-world health care system.

An ex-Cigna exec says he spread lies about Canada’s health system—and it hurt Americans

he was among those in the health insurance industry who spent huge sums to convince Americans that Canada’s single-payer system was “awful.”

The industry and its lobbying group, American Health Insurance Plans (AHIP), manipulated data and found the rare case stories they needed to spread disinformation campaigns suggesting that Canadians have long waits for healthcare, he said. Not only was that untrue, but in Canada, where there are no deductibles or co-pays, “no one gets turned away from doctors due to lack of funds,” he said. “In America, exorbitant bills are a defining feature of the system.”

Canada has been more successful at managing the Covid-19 pandemic than the US, Potter wrote, and Canadians who have been laid off because of it have not lost health insurance along with their income. In the US, millions are losing their jobs and coverage and they’re “scared to death,” he said.

QuestioningMind

I wonder how long the insurance industry and its bought and paid for politicians will be able to hoodwink Americans in accepting a third-world health care system.

An ex-Cigna exec says he spread lies about Canada’s health system—and it hurt Americans

he was among those in the health insurance industry who spent huge sums to convince Americans that Canada’s single-payer system was “awful.”

The industry and its lobbying group, American Health Insurance Plans (AHIP), manipulated data and found the rare case stories they needed to spread disinformation campaigns suggesting that Canadians have long waits for healthcare, he said. Not only was that untrue, but in Canada, where there are no deductibles or co-pays, “no one gets turned away from doctors due to lack of funds,” he said. “In America, exorbitant bills are a defining feature of the system.”

Canada has been more successful at managing the Covid-19 pandemic than the US, Potter wrote, and Canadians who have been laid off because of it have not lost health insurance along with their income. In the US, millions are losing their jobs and coverage and they’re “scared to death,” he said.

Sadly there are FAR too many people who WANT to believe the blatant lies. Anyone who's ever actually spoken with people who live in Canada knows that they're very pleased with their coverage and are dumbfounded to learn how many Americans go bankrupt each year simply because they were unfortunate enough to have gotten sick.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

If I’m being honest, whilst I certainly have criticisms of our healthcare system, the US model looks absolutely barbaric.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

I'm for one SHOCKED! SHOCKED, I tell you, that the leaders of a for-profit industry would tell lies in order to increase their profits...

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Of course Canadian dental care need not apply.

They're on their own on that one unless they are lucky enough to have an employer cover.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Of course Canadian dental care need not apply.

They're on their own on that one unless they are lucky enough to have an employer cover.
My Medicare and supplement don't cover dental care so I buy it separately.

But I would not object to including that and vision in the US version.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Sadly there are FAR too many people who WANT to believe the blatant lies. Anyone who's ever actually spoken with people who live in Canada knows that they're very pleased with their coverage and are dumbfounded to learn how many Americans go bankrupt each year simply because they were unfortunate enough to have gotten sick.

Not just Canadians.
The conversation appears bizarre to us here in Australia, and I know there are a bunch of other countries who'd say the same.