• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big Brother Is Watching

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm not worried, I'm too old to care.
However, it is well understood on this forum that I am right of center on polictical and some social philosophies and with some calling for the re-education of those that support those ideals who knows. (by the way this is the only social media outlet that I express my political and social thoughts)
And on this case, from the opposite side of the political spectrum, I agree with you.

The mere fact that we agree on a point makes the validity of the point evident.

Heyo

Veteran Member
The idea that "only those doing wrong need to worry" is one of the biggest pieces of authoritarian apologetics ever conceived. Almost anything could be viewed as "wrong" by those carrying out the overly intrusive surveillance. Just look at blasphemy charges for online posts in some countries as an example.
You don't even have to do something "wrong"or something that might be seen as wrong in the future. An example our Prof loved to cite was what happened at a big, Bavarian based car manufacturer. Some consultant had told them that their workers were too old on average. So they did some data mining (in an age when the term "data mining" wasn't even invented). By comparing 4 data points they found that many older employees used the company bus, were female and in the lowest wage class (i.e. cleaning women). Getting rid of them wouldn't drain any knowledge and they were also unlikely to buy a car to get to work. They simply cancelled the company bus and the women had to quit. This wouldn't have been possible without computer aid and the few unsuspicious data points.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Remember when there was a hugh stink raised about the Federal Government spying on citizens.
For those of you who don't : The NSA Continues to Violate Americans' Internet Privacy Rights

Now stop and think about the idea that Big Brother is now Google, Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, and a host of other high tech social media companies.

Those that use those services(?) should not have an issue with the little ole government prying into you life, you have already given permission to the worst offenders.
One would think it would have stopped since Snowden.

The idea that "only those doing wrong need to worry" is one of the biggest pieces of authoritarian apologetics ever conceived. Almost anything could be viewed as "wrong" by those carrying out the overly intrusive surveillance. Just look at blasphemy charges for online posts in some countries as an example.
If a stranger walked behind you all day and kept staring and followed you wherever you go, I'm pretty sure the police would be called for a stalker. Problem now is that the govt and corporations are doing the stalking.

It's authoritarianism 101 and a horrible intrusion into a persons right to privacy.

Heyo

Veteran Member
A few years ago i tried to "hide" from the government both here in Norway and especially NSA from USA, i used all the fancy tools to be unseen online. But soon realized how much work it involved to be off grid, and what do i have to hide anyway. If the big cooperations want my info they get it anyway.
I'm in the process of setting up my new smartphone and it is a pain in the back to do that without using google. In theory Android is an open source system based on Linux. In praxis google has inserted itself so deeply that it's hard to get rid of and still have a working phone.
And I don't even try to be "off grid". I just want a little bit of privacy.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Remember when there was a hugh stink raised about the Federal Government spying on citizens.
For those of you who don't : The NSA Continues to Violate Americans' Internet Privacy Rights

Now stop and think about the idea that Big Brother is now Google, Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, and a host of other high tech social media companies.

Those that use those services(?) should not have an issue with the little ole government prying into you life, you have already given permission to the worst offenders.
A general rule of thumb, If you put something on a computer, cell phone, smart tv, etc. you are sharing it with the world.
Anything you do not want to share, do not put it on anything that uses electricity.
Otherwise it may very well make it online for the whole world to see.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I don't think I'm anyone important enough for the power that be to waste any time on.

@Ostronomos had better watch out though.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I like the quote from Snowden: "Saying you don't mind surveillance because you have nothing to hide is like saying you don't mind censorship because you don't have anything to say." (Or something like that, but you get the idea.)

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member

You are more to the right than I am but I am unsure of your position on a smaller government. Would you be in favor of federal legislation? A government committee? I am not sure what would work well but I will agree that something needs to be done here. It has been brought up numerous times and we are well past due.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I don't think I'm anyone important enough for the power that be to waste any time on.

@Ostronomos had better watch out though.
It's been an open secret for years that American Muslims have been predominantly put under surveillance under the umbrella of PATRIOT Act measures, so either we are to believe that Muslims are of supreme importance (which I'm sure will please a few resident followers of Islam here) or that the clandestine services of the US government wasted a lot of their time on unimportant people of specific demographics for no good reason.

esmith

Veteran Member
I don't like the idea of the government getting too involved in regulating business or peoples personal actions unless it directly compromises public safety or national security. The only problem is how much involvement is too much?
As far as social media goes, if one is okay with the world knowing what you think, eat, purchase, to name only a few then that's their problem.
As far as on-line shopping goes, I admit I use it, especially during this pamdemic. Would I like to see an option that one would have to opt into allowing a company to gather data about you? Yeah, I would like to see that, but then the argument would be they have to do that to cover some of their cost. But, I for one woould be open to paying a "users fee" to exclude them from gathering data. Then again there is no way to guarantee that your information is secure once it goes on the internet.
Basically your dammed if you use it or inconvinced if you don't use it.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It's been an open secret for years that American Muslims have been predominantly put under surveillance under the umbrella of PATRIOT Act measures, so either we are to believe that Muslims are of supreme importance (which I'm sure will please a few resident followers of Islam here) or that the clandestine services of the US government wasted a lot of their time on unimportant people of specific demographics for no good reason.

You are free to believe what you want.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Yes a person with differerent ideas, phlosophy, etc than some.

It's power really. And whether the powers that be sees it as a threat or not.

IOW, I doubt they see me as a threat. Other people, groups, maybe they do. That's who needs to worry.
Personally, I'd prefer not to give the federal government any more power. It's not a good idea.
Fear drives people more than freedom though. People who have power will always use that. It doesn't matter which party they belong to.