• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Big Brother is Watching You"

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Your web browser records every keystroke, it knows what websites you visit, it watches your cursor skip around the screen.
It knows how much time you spend on "Big Booty Bimbos."

The NSA tracks your emails, phone calls, text messages, browsing history, tweets, and can access everything your web browser's recorded..

Late model cars can be externally scanned for driving history -- time, location, speed -- weather or not you used your turn signals.

Now it looks like you, yourself may be tracked, anywhere you go. FBI Face Recognition Technology Has 'No Limits,' Congressional Hearing Reveals
If Congress doesn't take legislative action, the FBI's vast and growing facial recognition database could someday soon allow the government to track Americans' "every move" in a breathtaking, nationwide violation of the Fourth Amendment.
That was the takeaway of a scathing hearing in the Congressional Oversight Committee on the FBI's use of facial recognition technology last week.

Am I the only one who finds this post 9/11 surveillance state a bit ... Orwellian?
Discuss.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Your web browser records every keystroke, it knows what websites you visit, it watches your cursor skip around the screen.

The NSA tracks your emails, phone calls, text messages, browsing history, tweets, and can access everything your web browser's recorded..

Late model cars can be externally scanned for driving history -- time, location, speed -- weather or not you used your turn signals.

Now it looks like you, yourself may be tracked, anywhere you go. FBI Face Recognition Technology Has 'No Limits,' Congressional Hearing Reveals

Am I the only one who finds this post 9/11 surveillance state a bit ... Orwellian?
Discuss.
Next thing you know we'll be finding out Trump was golfing despite Fox News saying he was working.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Discuss.

It's really nothing new. Talk of surveillance and big brother was also prevalent during the Cold War, although the only thing different now is the technology is vastly improved. But even Big Brother is not totally invulnerable, as there are other governments and private entities (such as wikileaks) which have thwarted them on occasion.

Not that I'm proud of this, but back in the 80s, I used to be associated with drug dealers. But even they would usually get by okay, as long as they were careful about what they said on the phone, kept their mouths covered when they talked, kept no written records, and were careful about who they talked to and what they said. It's only the stupid ones who get caught.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Discuss.
You are not alone.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

Discuss.
No, you are not the only one who is concerned about this. Whether the motive is control of the masses for political or social purposes, or control of the masses for profit, the result is the same--we no longer have any personal privacy that anyone except our neighbors, and maybe not even them, care to respect.

MD

qualiaphile

Discuss.

It is absolutely Orwellian but this has been discussed for decades. I think the only privacy we now have is when we talk in private, as warrants are still needed to wire tap people. I don't have facebook, I've deleted all my old accounts and don't plan on using it ever.

I don't care if the NSA knows I like big booty bimbos (which I do), but I do care if they know I criticize the state. That being said there are many groups and networks out there which would be classified as a threat to national security that continue to exist. This suggests to me that either there's too much data out there for them to sift through or that they allow such groups to exist so that they can track them.

There is a general social malaise with regards to most things that matter. Climate change, privacy laws and other important topics are not discussed on social media with more of a focus on identity politics and other distractors from the Left. Throw in good ol fashioned capitalism and 90% of people do not give a crap about anything meaningful, deep or real. It's all identity politics, theatrics and consumption. .

idav

Being
Premium Member
It is absolutely Orwellian but this has been discussed for decades. I think the only privacy we now have is when we talk in private, as warrants are still needed to wire tap people. I don't have facebook, I've deleted all my old accounts and don't plan on using it ever.

I don't care if the NSA knows I like big booty bimbos (which I do), but I do care if they know I criticize the state. That being said there are many groups and networks out there which would be classified as a threat to national security that continue to exist. This suggests to me that either there's too much data out there for them to sift through or that they allow such groups to exist so that they can track them.

There is a general social malaise with regards to most things that matter. Climate change, privacy laws and other important topics are not discussed on social media with more of a focus on identity politics and other distractors from the Left. Throw in good ol fashioned capitalism and 90% of people do not give a crap about anything meaningful, deep or real. It's all identity politics, theatrics and consumption. .
There's not too much data to sift through they just have to be specific about what they want to know. If they wanted to know who was doing "big bootie" searches or criticizing the state they will find everyone of us you.

esmith

Veteran Member
Society, in general, no longer seems concerned with the idea of privacy.
Yeah, just look at the social sites like facebook, everyone wants everyone else to know what they are doing or planing on doing. What the government and business are doing is peanuts compared to that.
Every wonder why certain ads pop up on ones web browser that seem to follow ones viewing and purchasing habits?

Discuss.

It actually significantly exceeds Orwellian, his surveillance was more overt and less pervasive. You also forgot your mobile phone which pretty much tracks your every move.

It's probably closer to Bentham's panopticon.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Years and years ago I adopted the philosophy that anything posted online or sent via email was in effect a "postcard" that could be read by the "mailman". That, for me, was an outcome of the 1960's and certain things I did back then and what we found out about how the FBI etc operated even that long ago. I don't see any essential change from then to now except in the technology.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It actually significantly exceeds Orwellian, his surveillance was more overt and less pervasive. You also forgot your mobile phone which pretty much tracks your every move.

I never really thought of the surveillance itself as Orwellian as much as the government's ability to manipulate language, past issues of newspapers, and even human memory.

Surveillance also works both ways, as anyone can use their cameras and keep an eye on law enforcement and other government personnel. Everyone is being watched, and it's next to impossible to send any videos or other recordings down the memory hole, since it can be instantly widely disseminated and saved by countless people. Even if they're monitoring the internet, they still move rather slowly. YouTube might delete a video but only after thousands have already seen it.

I think it's the Orwellian "memory hole" which made it even more frightening than just surveillance by itself, since that's something that governments do anyway.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think the only privacy we now have is when we talk in private, as warrants are still needed to wire tap people.
Well, your communications are already being tapped. I think the warrants are only needed if your local police or prosecutor want access to the data, or want to tap you directly with their own systems.

Agreed. This is what keeps me up at night. I can't help wonder what authoritarian social control the state might impose when it knows all our associations, activities and political leanings. It has a nefarious track record.
If the government had had today's technology a century or two ago it might have quashed all the social movements and reforms we enjoy today.

Every wonder why certain ads pop up on ones web browser that seem to follow ones viewing and purchasing habits?
If you think the pop-ups are bad now... Marketing Groups Applaud Senate Vote That Could Let ISPs Sell Consumer Data Without Consent – Adweek
it's going to get worse.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Yeah, I forgot a lot of surveillance modalities, now I think about it. The Stingray comes to mind: Investigation: Law enforcement use secret devices to track cell phone signals
-- basically a mobile phone tap that hijacks local phone calls/texts.

Of course, your TV and computer are watching you, as well: TVs spying on us is just the tip of the iceberg. Is Congress ready to act? | Michael E Capuano (I have tape over this laptop's camera as I type).

But the most nefarious: 'Spy-brator' sex toy set to pry on women's intimate moments and RECORD orgasms :eek:
Apparently there are several manufacturers selling similar devices. A Canadian manufacturer was recently fined USD $3M when its device proved too easily hackable.

MD

qualiaphile
Well, your communications are already being tapped. I think the warrants are only needed if your local police or prosecutor want access to the data, or want to tap you directly with their own systems.

Agreed. This is what keeps me up at night. I can't help wonder what authoritarian social control the state might impose when it knows all our associations, activities and political leanings. It has a nefarious track record.
If the government had had today's technology a century or two ago it might have quashed all the social movements and reforms we enjoy today.

If you think the pop-ups are bad now... Marketing Groups Applaud Senate Vote That Could Let ISPs Sell Consumer Data Without Consent – Adweek
it's going to get worse.

No I mean talking in person, not over the phone. I don't think the govt has the manpower to install bugs everywhere and technology still hasn't reached the level of miniature to spy on the populace with insect drones.

In a way there is a bright side to this, more people will communicate organically and technology will lose some of its dominance with regards to communication.

I never really thought of the surveillance itself as Orwellian as much as the government's ability to manipulate language, past issues of newspapers, and even human memory.

Orwell's society was based on Soviet communism and the idea that you were always potentially being monitored was an important component of that. East Germany was probably the most notable example.

The Stasi held files on more than 10% of the country's adults and had such a large network of covert informants that almost any conversation you had might be in earshot of an informant who could even be someone in your family.

Surveillance also works both ways, as anyone can use their cameras and keep an eye on law enforcement and other government personnel. Everyone is being watched, and it's next to impossible to send any videos or other recordings down the memory hole, since it can be instantly widely disseminated and saved by countless people. Even if they're monitoring the internet, they still move rather slowly. YouTube might delete a video but only after thousands have already seen it.

I think it's the Orwellian "memory hole" which made it even more frightening than just surveillance by itself, since that's something that governments do anyway.

While I get your point, that assumes the government doesn't put restrictions on internet use, or even ban it outright.

A totalitarian regime could use modern technology in a very oppressive manner to make such actions very risky for the person carrying them out. You would be connecting to their network after all.