• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big blunder by the Institute for Creation Research

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
It's hard to translate an ancient language, especially one's with what I call 'word-pictures', like Greek and Hebrew, into English. Hence, the reason why there are so many different English translations. Everyone thinks they can do it better than the other guy. If you are only using English versions, and are dedicated to just one at that, I think it's fair to say that it would be very difficult to try and understand exactly what the Bible is saying, without having at least a working understanding of ancient Greek and Hebrew. And, on top of that, the fact that the Bible, particularly the Old Testament, is full of metaphor, hyperbole, allegory, poetry, and the like, makes it that much more difficult to try and pinpoint exactly what meaning the Bible is trying to convey.

camanintx

It's hard to translate an ancient language, especially one's with what I call 'word-pictures', like Greek and Hebrew, into English. Hence, the reason why there are so many different English translations. Everyone thinks they can do it better than the other guy. If you are only using English versions, and are dedicated to just one at that, I think it's fair to say that it would be very difficult to try and understand exactly what the Bible is saying, without having at least a working understanding of ancient Greek and Hebrew. And, on top of that, the fact that the Bible, particularly the Old Testament, is full of metaphor, hyperbole, allegory, poetry, and the like, makes it that much more difficult to try and pinpoint exactly what meaning the Bible is trying to convey.
Or it could just be fiction.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
If the global flood story is true, it is quite odd that as Noah's descendants
repopulated the world, the ones who moved far away did not leave any surviving records about a man named Noah, and the mountains of Ararat. It is well-known that stories can easily be transmitted verbally over many centuries, and later be written down. Surely a story as important as the flood story would have survived, and would have been recorded many times. The same goes for the story of the Ten Plagues in Egypt. If such extraordinary events were true, they surely would have been recorded

The story of the flood is perhaps the one story that is found in many cultures around the world. It is also a prominent story in Hindu religion.

outhouse

Atheistically
The story of the flood is perhaps the one story that is found in many cultures around the world. It is also a prominent story in Hindu religion.

I think the important thing to take away is the moral lessons for man to be good

sadly its lost when debating with hard line theist because with the literal interpretation the allegory simply has vanished.

outhouse

Atheistically
The earth does flood everywhere every year and when man settled a long rivers during the beginning of agricultural after the last ice age, many early civilizations were flooded away. Thus we have flood stories from around the world.

People some what learned not to build in flood plains but you still had tsunamis legends and those thousand year floods.

I would love to see the flood record for the Euphrates where noahs legend originated. We know there was a attested flood of 2900BCE that is well documented. It would be neat to see if that was the largest flood in the last 5000 years. Im sure there are records for this. makes me curious.

gnostic

The Lost One
If Noah did collect a pair of every animal and if he park his Ark on Mount Ararat, then you would expect to see signs of all sorts of Australian marsupials from there to Australia. Many should have die along the way, in the long and perilous trek. This serious absence of evidences debunk the Noah's Ark.

And the marine fossils found in the Himalaya were there, millions of years before Noah's supposed Flood (about 4400 years ago), and those mountains have been around millions of years, and they are still rising, every year. These facts also debunk creationists' claims.

not nom

it clearly shows the sumerian version and noahs are close and the rest have differences

such as?

- man is "evil"
- earth is flooded
- very few survivors, usually "good"

again, and again, and again... ?!

yeah, there are variations, there are drastically different versions (in one the bad guys kinda get away with it, getting everyone else killed, heh), but I find the amount of stories that follow that exact same pattern much too astonishing to dismiss it with a simple "there are differences". of course they are, and yay for them! when jews wrote "god spoke to noah", the hopi might have said "noah opened the door at the top of his head" :D

Trey of Diamonds

I am a firm believer that the Bible is the inerrant word of God. I am a Christian, that is what I believe.

I am a Christian and that is not what I believe. Why do you think the Bible is inerrant? How do you explain the contradictions? How do you explain the evidence provided by Bible Scholars that some parts of the Bible are forgeries and others are mistakes by scribes who hand copied older texts?

outhouse

Atheistically
such as?

- man is "evil"
- earth is flooded
- very few survivors, usually "good"

again, and again, and again... ?!

yeah, there are variations, there are drastically different versions (in one the bad guys kinda get away with it, getting everyone else killed, heh), but I find the amount of stories that follow that exact same pattern much too astonishing to dismiss it with a simple "there are differences". of course they are, and yay for them! when jews wrote "god spoke to noah", the hopi might have said "noah opened the door at the top of his head" :D

the first flood story in the levant is from the sumerians from a real flood, thats how I know who is and is not on the right track here.

All the other flood stories in the levant originate with this real flood as the verbage is identical in some places.

and having myths written by others where a deity is mad and floods his people is normal as well as a man in a boat who has morals is normal for any culture that gets flooded by a regional flood

not nom

and having myths written by others where a deity is mad and floods his people is normal as well as a man in a boat who has morals is normal for any culture that gets flooded by a regional flood

peru? really? heh.

and I see what you did there. it's not about a deity who "floods his people", it's about a deity that utterly kills everybody, and only a local hero from their people survives.

outhouse

Atheistically
peru? really? heh.

yes even Peru

what would you like to know about the country lol

and I see what you did there

then pay attention lol :) and learn because its just simple history

Now if you have some other brilliant idea or hypthesis please share

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the important thing to take away is the moral lessons for man to be good

sadly its lost when debating with hard line theist because with the literal interpretation the allegory simply has vanished.

I absolutely agree.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
That's something that has always interested me, is that the Christians who are so busy trying to prove the literal interpretation of the flood story are completely missing the point of the story.

not nom

then pay attention lol :) and learn because its just simple history

I am aware of all you said, and it changes nothing. here is the bit you skipped:

it's not about a deity who "floods his people", it's about a deity that utterly kills everybody, the whole world, and only a local hero from their people survives.

maybe someone else wants to have a go at explaining that away.

and yes, that also means NONE of these stories can be true. since it can't have been either a dude [named X, Y or Z], but also siblings, and babies, and.. whatever. umbrellas. but where does that story come from?

Now if you have some other brilliant idea or hypthesis please share

lolwhut? I'm not the one making a hypothesis, actually that would be you. if you forgot, I can quote that for you, too. me, I'm just wondering.

not nom

That's something that has always interested me, is that the Christians who are so busy trying to prove the literal interpretation of the flood story are completely missing the point of the story.

hey, maybe it's a meme implanted by aliens to keep us pure? maybe they seeded apes with higher brain functions and implanted false memories of them leaving their (strayed) people behind in whatever disaster seemed locally plausible. and on the 21st december of 2012, they will return, and harvest the faithful, hurl earth into the sun, and transfer the crop to a new planet.

but that is not a hypothesis, that's just how I would do it :D

Last edited: