• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big-bang has happened, or currently in progress ?

Onoma

Well, since the universe seems to still be expanding, I'd lean towards " it's still happening "

Einstein-Cartan theory avoids singularities, interestingly

gnostic

The Lost One
"Happened" refers to something which has comes to its end.
Keeping this thing in mind my my question to science is:
  • Big-bang has happened ?
  • Or, big-bang currently in progress ?

Before the theory was coined as the Big Bang theory in 1949, it was simply referred to as the “expanding universe model”, during the 1920s.

The expansion of the universe is still occurring today, and seemed to have accelerated.

So in that sense, the Big Bang theory is still happening, since the universe is still expanding.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
What `standard` would have to be implemented, or used here ???

Nothing to a singularity, to what other entity existed ?

Where is the comparative entity to measure with or too ?

How else to state it, we need a comparative other entity.

How `fast` is "fast".....how `large` is "small", how `small` is "large" ?

Why was the `void` never inside the singularity ?

Heyo

Veteran Member
"... which postulates ..." At the start in your link. Could you learn to read and comprehend? And if you have to, put me on ignore.
It gets old. You are not the first one, which treats a postulate as a fact. I can do that too. I postulate that God exists, therefore it is a fact. You wouldn't accept that and nor would I. But I don't accept as a fact something which starts with "which postulates".
"Inflation predicts that the observed perturbations should be in thermal equilibrium with each other (these are called adiabatic or isentropic perturbations). This structure for the perturbations has been confirmed by the Planck spacecraft, WMAP spacecraft and other cosmic microwave background (CMB) experiments, and galaxy surveys, especially the ongoing Sloan Digital Sky Survey.[73] These experiments have shown that the one part in 100,000 inhomogeneities observed have exactly the form predicted by theory. There is evidence for a slight deviation from scale invariance. The spectral index, ns is one for a scale-invariant Harrison–Zel'dovich spectrum. The simplest inflation models predict that ns is between 0.92 and 0.98.[74][72][75][76] This is the range that is possible without fine-tuning of the parameters related to energy.[75] From Planck data it can be inferred that ns=0.968 ± 0.006,[70][77] and a tensor to scalar ratio that is less than 0.11. These are considered an important confirmation of the theory of inflation.[17]" - Inflation (cosmology) - Wikipedia

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
"Inflation predicts that the observed perturbations should be in thermal equilibrium with each other (these are called adiabatic or isentropic perturbations). This structure for the perturbations has been confirmed by the Planck spacecraft, WMAP spacecraft and other cosmic microwave background (CMB) experiments, and galaxy surveys, especially the ongoing Sloan Digital Sky Survey.[73] These experiments have shown that the one part in 100,000 inhomogeneities observed have exactly the form predicted by theory. There is evidence for a slight deviation from scale invariance. The spectral index, ns is one for a scale-invariant Harrison–Zel'dovich spectrum. The simplest inflation models predict that ns is between 0.92 and 0.98.[74][72][75][76] This is the range that is possible without fine-tuning of the parameters related to energy.[75] From Planck data it can be inferred that ns=0.968 ± 0.006,[70][77] and a tensor to scalar ratio that is less than 0.11. These are considered an important confirmation of the theory of inflation.[17]" - Inflation (cosmology) - Wikipedia

Yeah, ...
At present, while inflation is understood principally by its detailed predictions of the initial conditions for the hot early universe, the particle physics is largely ad hoc modelling. As such, although predictions of inflation have been consistent with the results of observational tests, many open questions remain.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Well, something was responsible for mankind,
I guess it is the melding of the Stuff from us.

I also think that the Cosmos had a lot to add also.

But `Gods` or other, one or the other, Spirit goes on.

Later than sooner, I'll meet you in the Cosmos.

chinu

chinu
Before the theory was coined as the Big Bang theory in 1949, it was simply referred to as the “expanding universe model”, during the 1920s.

The expansion of the universe is still occurring today, and seemed to have accelerated.

So in that sense, the Big Bang theory is still happening, since the universe is still expanding.
Is it possible to discover the thing which is still expanding ?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I would guess that `God` is out there somewhere, you think ?
NAH !
This mystery has been going on for ages, and still we don't know for sure.
But no worry, in a relatively short time we all will know from personal experience:skull:
.....or

Last edited:

gnostic

The Lost One
Is it possible to discover the thing which is still expanding ?
From what I understand about cosmology, all 3 pioneer physicists - Alexander Friedmann (1922), Howard Percy Robertson (1924-25) and Georges Lemaître (1927) - have independently explained and predicted the universe that they were aware of at that time, have been expanding.

Both Robertson and Lemaître respectively predicted that determining if the universe was expanding, it would be through observing the wavelengths between two distant galaxies. If the spectrum were “red-shifted”, these galaxies were moving away from each other. But if their wavelength were “blue-shifted”, it would indicate the galaxies were moving towards each other.

Redshifts are also used to measure distance of galaxies and stars from Earth.

Mind you, this was in 1920s, and it was only very recently that Edwin Hubble discovered in 1919 (from the Hooker Telescope, the largest telescope in the world at that time) that the Milky Way weren’t the only galaxy.

Before the invention of the telescopes (the first was constructed in 1608; Galileo built his own in the following year), Andromeda and Triangulum could be observed through naked eye.

After this invention, other astronomers began using them throughout the 17th, 18th and 19th century, and Charles Messier began cataloguing all the stars and nebulas that can observed at that time. And Messier have listed Andromeda and Triangulum as “nebulas” inside o the Milky Way, not as separate “galaxies”. No astronomers corrected Messier, until 1919, by Edwin Hubble, because Hubble used a far larger telescope with better resolution than all other telescopes used by Messier and other astronomers.

It was 1919, that the world realized that the Milky Way wasn’t the only galaxy in the universe, and the universe was even larger than even Hubble expected.

But getting back to my point about the “red-shifted” objects. Robertson (1924-25) and Lemaître (1927) predicted and explained the how, but it was again Hubble, who made the discovery in 1929, with Andromeda, Triangulum and other former nebulas.

The Redshift was the first evidence that the universe was expanding. Redshifts are still be used today as mean of observing and measuring distant objects.

Now I am more of a history buff than an astronomer or astrophysicist, but the history of astronomy and cosmology and their technology and discoveries interested me.

So if you want to know or learn more than I could explain the science’s side of astrophysics, then you are better off asking @Polymath257 , @Astrophile or @ecco , because they have better grasps of physics than me.

But what I can say that the Big Bang model is still the current working “science theory”, being explored by many observatories (eg Sloan Digital Sky Survey, and other galaxy redshift surveys), including the space programs of NASA (eg Hubble, COBE, Spitzer Space Telescope, WMAP) and ESA (responsible for Planck spacecraft).

More recently, in 1989, science have discovered the universe was not only continuing to expand, it has been accelerating and it is still accelerating, because of the observation of type 1a supernova.

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I do hope that Spirits have memories,
....or...
Would be something...we try so hard for many years to remember scriptures/science, and then "bliep"...all is gone
Tibetans practise with their mandalas to let go their attachments, by destroying those beautiful drawing afterwards:)

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Up at ....oh well...time passes well

The destruction of meromictic religion and ancient relics is fantastically abhorrent.
I love the importance of historic treasures, despite their importance to history.
But in the mean time, our Spirits will have to do, until afterwards I mean...:rolleyes:
You know what I mean.......
But...now will do also !

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
I also think that the Tibetans were releasing emotions at the same time.
And still doing it now. And it takes a whole lot of days to do that,
just like the creation, and the Sun, and Earth, and man.

Wow....what happened to the B.B. O.P.
Am I bad ?