• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biden's Administration Paying Contractors Not To Work

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Make it easier for illegals to cross?
We should make it easy for low and medium skilled workers to get temp work visa and increase fines for companies hiring illegal workers. That way ppl will use the legal route

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Good question.
Out of curiosity: what do you perceive as the actual problem about people being illegally in the USA?
I can imagine several....
- Disease control.
- Criminal entry.
- Terrorist entry.
- Taxing importation of goods.
- Prohibiting importation of some goods.
- Corrupting influence of finding illegal "under the table work".

There could be other arguments against open borders.
But I speculate that Ameristanian government reasons
are the same as Canuckistanian government's for are
for protecting its border with us.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
We should make it easy for low and medium skilled workers to get temp work visa and increase fines for companies hiring illegal workers. That way ppl will use the legal route
Exactly, which is why I do believe we should spend far more effort than what we now do on temporary work visas that can be reissued if one works and behaves.

What I find so hypocritical with all too many on the right is that they complain out of one side of their mouth that "We need more workers" while on their other side of their mouth they say "But not those".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What I find so hypocritical with all too many on the right is that they complain out of one side of their mouth that "We need more workers" while on their other side of their mouth they say "But not those".
Oh, really...who said that?
I think this might be an imagined claim.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Good question.

I can imagine several....
- Disease control.
- Criminal entry.
- Terrorist entry.
- Taxing importation of goods.
- Prohibiting importation of some goods.
- Corrupting influence of finding illegal "under the table work".
You make a good point for Mexico to close its borders to American travelers.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Make it easier for illegals to cross?
There is a better solution. If you do not want illegal immigrants make it more difficult for them to get jobs. There are countless businesses that would die without the cheap labor of illegal immigrants.

If some of the laws in place right now were enforced that would do the trick. For example, requiring valid social security numbers to take a tax break for paying your employees is more than feasible to enforce. Neither side wants to do it because they both know that we need those workers. This is why the wall is a sham.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There is a better solution. If you do not want illegal immigrants make it more difficult for them to get jobs. There are countless businesses that would die without the cheap labor of illegal immigrants.
It would also be necessary to make it more
difficult to get charity & government benefits,
upon which they'd depend if not working.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That, but would also be necessary to make it more
difficult to get charity & government benefits, upon
which they'd depend if not working.
Or perhaps rewrite policy. Face the fact that we need those workers. If it was easier for them to get in and out we might find that most of them want to live at "home". Current policy all but forces entire families to move and then we end up paying some unnecessary bills.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Or perhaps rewrite policy. Face the fact that we need those workers.
I don't know about "need". Sure, we (other people)
use them. But we're coping with the current labor
shortage by increasing automation. That seems a
better direction than a migrant work population, or
massive immigration.
Eternal economic & population growth is not a
sustainable model.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I don't know about "need". Sure, we (other people)
use them. But we're coping with the current labor
shortage by increasing automation. That seems a
better direction than a migrant work population, or
massive immigration.
Eternal economic & population growth is not a
sustainable model.
And automation will probably improve over the years, but there is still quite a bit of work that has to be done by hand. Locally strawberry picking is one of those. It is a job that only migrants appear to be willing to do for the money offered. I wonder how much would have to be paid to get locals to do it. Would we be limited to certain fruits and vegetable only coming from Mexico?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And automation will probably improve over the years, but there is still quite a bit of work that has to be done by hand. Locally strawberry picking is one of those. It is a job that only migrants appear to be willing to do for the money offered. I wonder how much would have to be paid to get locals to do it. Would we be limited to certain fruits and vegetable only coming from Mexico?
An intermediate program to ween us off foreign labor?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
An intermediate program to ween us off foreign labor?
That would be a good idea. There is no way that we can just slam the door shut and send all of the illegals packing without severe economic consequences. The problem is that neither side appears to want to do this because of their own political agendas.

Oh, and one more thing. We would also need to quickly revamp the Social Security system. Another posted does not like it when I point out that it is a Ponzi scheme, but without a constantly growing population it will quickly fail at the current rates since we in effect pay the elderly with money coming in today. Not the money put in by the elderly in the past. Illegals contribute to that when they are paid with a paycheck. And many businesses do, even though it is illegal. For them to declare wages as a cost they have to put tax money, withholding and Social Security and Medicare into the system. Otherwise they would be taxed on that money as "profit" even though they paid it out. That money is not insignificant.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That would be a good idea. There is no way that we can just slam the door shut and send all of the illegals packing without severe economic consequences. The problem is that neither side appears to want to do this because of their own political agendas.

Oh, and one more thing. We would also need to quickly revamp the Social Security system. Another posted does not like it when I point out that it is a Ponzi scheme, but without a constantly growing population it will quickly fail at the current rates since we in effect pay the elderly with money coming in today.
Nah...it won't fail.
We don't need more population for it.
They have options....
- Raise taxes.
- Cut benefits by means testing.