• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biden to unveil gun control measures, appoint ATF chief

We Never Know

No Slack
And it's exactly that "bad judgment" that should be a major concern to us regrinding gun possession. Especially the that "bad judgment" is in relation to the safety and well-being of others.

We all make bad judgements. Speeding is a bad judgement. Should they be banned as well? How about a person who runs a stop sign?

PureX

Veteran Member
I personally think all criminal records(including SIS probation where the charge is pretty much dropped after probation) and all medical records for(treatment for depression, schizophrenia, etc) should be made available to the government when doing background checks on the purchase of a firearm. But then you get into violating people rights and so in.
I would include some time limitations, however. Ten years pass with no further indication of social irresponsibility should wipe the slate.

As to our "rights": they must be held IN BALANCE WITH OUR RESPONSIBILITIES to each other. Just because I like playing with military grade assault weapons doesn't me I have a "right" to do so next to a school playground. This is what regulation is all about: balancing our "rights" with our responsibilities to each other. Something the gun fetishists seem to know or care very little about.

PureX

Veteran Member
We all make bad judgements. Speeding is a bad judgement. Should they be banned as well? How about a person who runs a stop sign?
Do these regularly and you will have your license to drive taken away. Exactly as it should be. As you will have shown yourself to be too irresponsible to be trusted to drive among the rest of us.

Same should be done with guns. Only because very few of us actually NEEDS a gun to live, and because guns are designed to kill us (not transport us) the rules and resonsibilities can and should be much stricter.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
EVERY law will be ignored by them, they are CRIMINALS, after all, by definition. So, are you suggesting that we eliminate all our laws because the criminals will ignore them?
Laws are deterrents not preventive. That's what anti gun people don't understand.

Nothing will stop people with squirming brains intent on killing others. They will simply get their weapons from arms smugglers and laws mean nothing to these people whatsoever.

We Never Know

No Slack
I would include some time limitations, however. Ten years pass with no further indication of social irresponsibility should wipe the slate.

As to our "rights": they must be held IN BALANCE WITH OUR RESPONSIBILITIES to each other. Just because I like playing with military grade assault weapons doesn't me I have a "right" to do so next to a school playground. This is what regulation is all about: balancing our "rights" with our responsibilities to each other. Something the gun fetishists seem to know or care very little about.
One can argue that a person sent to prison for a drug felony and paid for his crime with time, then after prison if ten years pass with no further indication of social irresponsibility should we wipe their slate clean?

We Never Know

No Slack
Do these regularly and you will have your license to drive taken away. Exactly as it should be. As you will have shown yourself to be too irresponsible to be trusted to drive among the rest of us.

Same should be done with guns. Only because very few of us actually NEEDS a gun to live, and because guns are designed to kill us (not transport us) the rules and resonsibilities can and should be much stricter.
Not really. Lawyers help the ones with money keep their license for all kinds of violations all the time wereas a poor man would lose theirs.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

A person planning to kill people with a car or truck won't care one iota if he or she has a license or not.

We Never Know

No Slack
A person planning to kill people with a car or truck won't care one iota if he or she has a license or not.
This was under a 4 month span.

"There have been at least 104 incidents of people driving vehicles into protests from May 27 through Sept. 5, including 96 by civilians and eight by police, according to Ari Weil, a terrorism researcher at the University of Chicago's Project on Security and Threats"

Cars hit people 104 times at BLM protests since George Floyd's death

PureX

Veteran Member
Laws are deterrents not preventive. That's what anti gun people don't understand.
Everyone understands this just fine. It's the gun nuts that keep insisting that the laws must be 100% preventative or they're completely useless. it's idiotic. Also, I am not "anti-gun". I am anti-idiots-having-guns. That means the road ragers, the stalkers, the bar fighters, the domestic abusers, the junkies, the drunks, the emotionally infantile, the mentally deficient, and the physically disabled.
Nothing will stop people with squirming brains intent on killing others.
All kinds of things can and will stop them. We can't stop them all, but we can stop most of them. And that's worth doing.

PureX

Veteran Member
One can argue that a person sent to prison for a drug felony and paid for his crime with time, then after prison if ten years pass with no further indication of social irresponsibility should we wipe their slate clean?
This is not an issue of criminal conviction. It's an issue of SOCIAL BEHAVIOR.

We Never Know

No Slack
Everyone understands this just fine. It's the gun nuts that keep insisting that the laws must be 100% preventative or they're completely useless. it's idiotic. Also, I am not "anti-gun". I am anti-idiots-having-guns. That means the road ragers, the stalkers, the bar fighters, the domestic abusers, junkies, drunks, the emotionally infantile, the mentally deficient, and the physically disabled.
All kinds of things can and will stop them. We can't stop them all, but we can stop most of them. And that's worth doing.

Would you clarify what you mean by "physically disabled"

PureX

Veteran Member
The war in drugs over the last 50 years has sure been effective at stopping drugs...right?
Again, you keep trying to imply that if it's not 100% preventative, it's a failure. No law is 100% preventative, but laws ARE very effective when properly written and properly enforced.