• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biden: "There's not a racist bone in my body"

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It would have been far better to acknowledge that due to the society he grew up in and various other factors that occasionally he has racist thoughts. The cure to racism begins by recognizing it in oneself and trying to correct it. Some of the most racist people that I know of "don't have a racist bone in their body" either:rolleyes:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Good for him! Our country is made to force political rivals to work together, and we must again remember that instead of this dangerous game of "my way or the highway." As Tyrion said "no one is happy so Im sure its a good compromise." And sometimes we need that to keep things running and to prevent them from getting worse. Working with sevregationists (who arent likely to get much anyways) is, afterall, a million times better than letting government employees not go an extended time without pay again.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Anyone who would not perceive an Australian
aborigine and a blonde Scandinavian differently
is someone who has been dead for a while.
That wouldn't make someone a racist. Of course the Australian Aboriginal and blonde Scandinavian are both human, but yet there are many differences between the two, both in appearance and culture. IMO, it's those who bumble on about how they can't see that and hiw they are "colorblind of race," and think everyone is basically the same is far more racist for refusing to acknowledge what is so obvious and rather important to some people.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I'm partial to Sanders, too. Biden strikes me as the kind of fellow who has risen to the level of his own incompetence.
Then can I assume that you believe that you've achieved a higher level of competence than Vice President of the United States?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You can't be serious.

Every society is racist to some extent. It is a natural result of human tribalism. In Biden's generation racism was a part of the culture of the time.
Yes, I am serious, because you are speculating based on an assumption. Unless you can actually demonstrate it, then its an unsubstantiated claim (burden of proof).

metis

I'm concerned about Biden's age and the fact that he sometimes suffers from hoof-in-mouth disease, but I feel he's likely to have the best chance of defeating Trump. But let me just also add that he needs to have for a VP-running mate someone who better represents the left, women, and minorities, and I would suggest that Kamala Harris would likely well fill these boots quite well.

Audie

Veteran Member
That wouldn't make someone a racist. Of course the Australian Aboriginal and blonde Scandinavian are both human, but yet there are many differences between the two, both in appearance and culture. IMO, it's those who bumble on about how they can't see that and hiw they are "colorblind of race," and think everyone is basically the same is far more racist for refusing to acknowledge what is so obvious and rather important to some people.

As racism is apparently what anyone chooses to
attack in someone else, yeah, who knows.

I see many obvious"racial" differences in people.
East Indians in Hong Kong are distinct Westerners
and from Filipinos and Chinese or Africans.

Each groups attitude toward and expectations of the
others are different, and for specific real reasons.
Sometimes we misread someone. It happens.

Not just between races, but within. A guy with ratty
clothes goes in and buys a Mercedes after they
thinking he was a bum. A well dressed fraud gets
away with a scam.

I hope that today's obsession with "race" will get around
to evapourating one of these days. The next person who
tries referring to me as a "person of color" may be the
one who said it once too often.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The next person who
tries referring to me as a "person of color"
Maybe its because I have Aspergers, but I could never understand that " colored person" thing as a kid, because to my mind of taking everything literally, everyone is a colored person. I also didn't get white and black, because we tend to not actually look white and black, and the Natives really don't look red either. And then Michael Jackson's vitiligo also through my child's brain for a loop when it comes to race (I thought some people just normally and naturally changed lime that, which I guess is true technically even if a very poor understanding of how and why).

metis

Not just between races, but within. A guy with ratty
clothes goes in and buys a Mercedes after they
thinking he was a bum. A well dressed fraud gets
away with a scam.
This actually happened to a good friend of mine. He owned a garden center but did much of the manual labor as well, and one day he stopped in at a nearby Chevy dealer in his skuzies, but the salesman just sorta blew him off. My friend got angry, asked for another salesman, and bought a car with cash. Then, he asked to see pickup trucks and bought that as well, also with cash.

I gotta feeling the first salesman learned a lesson from that-- painfully.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm concerned about Biden's age and the fact that he sometimes suffers from hoof-in-mouth disease, but I feel he's likely to have the best chance of defeating Trump. But let me just also add that he needs to have for a VP-running mate someone who better represents the left, women, and minorities, and I would suggest that Kamala Harris would likely well fill these boots quite well.
On one hand, I do hope Biden gets through so we can a collective national discussion about agism (it tends to dominate discussions about his potential presidency) and why the choice of VP is so inportant. Younger men have died in office, after all.

metis

On one hand, I do hope Biden gets through so we can a collective national discussion about agism (it tends to dominate discussions about his potential presidency) and why the choice of VP is so inportant. Younger men have died in office, after all.
Good point.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Being that their is only one Race of human's it is rather odd. He either is recognizing Race as a thing or being sarcastic, either way its not to bright a move.
One race, but overall analogous to saying we are like different breeds of dog, who are all canis familiaris, but are golden retrievers and sheppards and chihuahuas as we are Japanese or Jewish or Spanish or Polynesian.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
One race, but overall analogous to saying we are like different breeds of dog, who are all canis familiaris, but are golden retrievers and sheppards and chihuahuas as we are Japanese or Jewish or Spanish or Polynesian.

Yeah, we have different ethnicities but if we keep referring to different ethnicities as races we will never make progress with bigotry. Stop letting people think that ethnicity is the equivalent of race.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yeah, we have different ethnicities but if we keep referring to different ethnicities as races we will never make progress with bigotry. Stop letting people think that ethnicity is the equivalent of race.
Its a technicality to clear up, but will it really make a difference to those who are already racist?