1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biden Says If He Had Been President We Wouldn't Have The Current Economy

Discussion in 'North American Politics' started by esmith, May 9, 2020.

1. Curious George

Curious George Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +2,720
    Politicians seem to do that. Then, if and when, they take office there is always someone saying they could do it better, without meaningful elaboration on how. Reminds me a lot of Trump during the Obama years. And look at how the "sheeple" flocked to him! And stand defend blunder after blunder.

It would be nice if whoever those sheeple supported, they could also critically examine. But hey, maybe then they wouldn't be referred to as sheeple. Why don't we "wait and see what happpens" with Biden. Perhaps these "sheeple" will prove to be less so than the one's who cannot help but defend Trump.

2. esmith

esmith Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,826
    Religion:
    No name designated at this time.
    Not all Democrats are sheeple, there are some that don't have their head up their........

3. whirlingmerc

whirlingmerc Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +885
    Religion:
    Christian

Can't accuse Biden of making stellar points that makes sense, can you.

4. esmith

esmith Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,826
    Religion:
    No name designated at this time.
    and just what points are these?

5. whirlingmerc

whirlingmerc Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +885
    Religion:
    Christian
  6. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,486
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    I think that's actually a picture of General Sherman at the Battle of Atlanta, which was fought in 1864, not 1775. It looks like some kind of fighter jet is in the picture, so I'm not sure what that's all about.

I had to look up the date to see if anything of interest happened on May 27, 1775, and this is what I found: Battle of Chelsea Creek - Wikipedia

7. Curious George

Curious George Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +2,720
    It was a meme to illustrate the idea of not believing everything you see (especially on the internet). In effect, suggesting that the previous poster either made up entirely the quote or took it extremely out of context.

8. Shad

Shad Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,005
    Religion:
    Theological noncognitivist
    Medical professions have zero expertise in economics.

9. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,486
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Why do you say that? Economics is a social science, just like political science, history, philosophy, etc. Most educated people learn some of these subjects in their basic education, even if they're not necessarily "experts" at the PhD level. It's unlikely they would have "zero expertise."

10. Revoltingest

Revoltingest I have the kavorka
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +62,271
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Old saying...
    To a man with a hammer, all problems look like nails.
    Health care types focus upon disease, not economics.

Btw.....
    A friend runs an escape room business.
    He says that mathematicians solve the puzzle faster than any other profession.
    Doctors are among the slowest.

11. Shad

Shad Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,005
    Religion:
    Having a medical degree does not make one an expert in economics otherwise they would have an economic degree too. This is classic academic behavior of people talking outside their expertise as if experts

Except there are experts with degrees available to communicate with in conjunction with medical experts. IE get opinions of both based on their expertise.

Minor knowledge does not make one an expert. Expertise is about mastery of a subject. Otherwise I can claim expertise in physics based on taking a few courses.... NASA should consult with me!

12. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,486
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Actually, there are some with multiple degrees.

Expertise in a technical field or a hard science is different from an expertise in other disciplines. A person can be an expert in art or music, but that doesn't automatically mean they would make the best artists or musicians.

Economics is a social science, which puts in more in the realm of political science or philosophy more than anything else. It's not the same thing as mathematics; it was never meant to be that, so I don't know why people think of economics as some kind of hard science. Even economists don't say that, but laymen often latch on to their favorite conservative economist and parrot their mantra as if they're uttering the words of God. They see it as a "science," something that someone has to have "expertise" in before they can have an opinion of it.

They have to know some economics. After all, they have businesses to run just like everyone else in this country. I've known a few doctors who even dabble in real estate.

They also have to face realities about the economics of healthcare, particularly as their system becomes overwhelmed and they're faced with supply shortages, equipment shortages, and staffing shortages.

Of course, the president and the government overall still have to look at the big picture, so they're not going to rely solely upon medical doctors. And I think we both agree that it's better for all concerned if the economy gets moving again. If you and I can agree on that, then I think even the doctors should be able to grasp it as well.

But as I said, since this is clearly a medical issue, then those with the expertise in medicine are best suited to resolving it. Just like if there's a fire, you call the fire department. As Steve McQueen said in The Towering Inferno, "When there's a fire, I outrank everybody here" (including the mayor, senators, etc.).

Escape room business? Is that what some people call a "panic room"? I think there was a movie with that title, but I never saw it.

How do economists do on the test?

Here's one of my favorite economist jokes:

A mathematician, an accountant and an economist apply for the same job.

The interviewer calls in the mathematician and asks "What do two plus two equal?" The mathematician replies "Four." The interviewer asks "Four, exactly?" The mathematician looks at the interviewer incredulously and says "Yes, four, exactly."

Then the interviewer calls in the accountant and asks the same question "What do two plus two equal?" The accountant says "On average, four - give or take ten percent, but on average, four."

Then the interviewer calls in the economist and poses the same question "What do two plus two equal?" The economist gets up, locks the door, closes the shade, sits down next to the interviewer and says, "What do you want it to equal"?

13. Revoltingest

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +62,271
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Theoretically, anyone can be an expert on things outside their field.
    But the real world tends to result in people wearing hats.
    When I wear my engineer hat, I see problems in that light.
    Wearing my business hat, I see....you get the picture.

To address a complex issue, it would be a bad idea to pick one
    kind of expert, & let them advocate for other kinds of experts.
    Were I Prez, I'd want to optimize overall well being, & that would
    mean different advocates for different goals.

Oh, another similar situation....
    I've heard feminists on RF insist that there's no need for advocating
    for men's rights cuz feminists do that. Yeah....right....like removing
    due process for male university students accused of assault.
    Not even remotely like a panic room.
    https://www.cluelessannarbor.com/
    He hasn't said.
    Fixed.

14. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,486
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    That's why presidents generally employ panels of experts in different fields in situations like this. The economist would presumably say that it's better for the economy if stores and other businesses were opened to get people working and the economy moving again. I don't think anyone has to actually be an economist to know this basic fact. That's the beginning and the end of whatever contribution the economist can offer here.

The question is, how do we reopen the economy and do it as safely as possible to avoid further outbreaks and hot spots? The economist is not going to be readily equipped to answer this question, as it would fall more within the purview of someone with a medical expertise, preferably an expert in infectious diseases. They're not the ones making the final decision, but they're ones who can say what the risks are and how to minimize those risks.

I just advocate for human rights, so that would cover everybody. It's much easier that way.

Oh, it's something to do for fun. I don't think we have anything like that around here.

Well, I suppose either profession could be put in there. I've seen some economist jokes which I recall seeing as lawyer jokes on other occasions. Same joke, different professions.

15. Revoltingest

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +62,271
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Accountants are typically accurate to the penny.
    Tax accountants to the dollar (IRS rounding convention).

16. Guitar's Cry

Guitar's Cry Verisimilitudinous

Ratings:
    +2,753
    Religion:
    Panreligious mystical paganism
    Higher taxes on wealthy folks and pulling resources from the military could be a start.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Shad

Shad Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,005
    Religion:
    Name them

Irrelevant as a medical degree does not make one an expert outside the degree.

Irrelevant. Again having a medical degree does not make one an expert in economics.

Some knowledge is not mastery of a subject.

That is management not expertise in economics.

Hence I said tap both fields.

There is an economic side due to the lockdown ergo outside the scope of doctors.

18. Shad

Shad Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,005
    Religion:
    And there is tax the rich to pay for stuff slant.

19. Guitar's Cry

Guitar's Cry Verisimilitudinous

Ratings:
    +2,753
    Religion:
    Panreligious mystical paganism
    Yes. Since the wealthy depend on the economy to gain riches and remain wealthy they should be expected to save it when a public health emergency threatens it.