• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biden orders airstrikes on Iranian backed militias in Syria.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So, you're saying that makes them qualified to speak for the regime they had no love for? Would Hillary Clinton make a good spokesperson for the Trump Administration?
I don't recall saying anything remotely like that.
Hillary speaking for Trump...extraordinarily unlikely.
Appeasing a public gripped by war fever seems a good way to get re-elected.
Politicians often place their own interests ahead of good public policy.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I was optimistic (my first mistake) that Biden wouldn't take this route, especially so soon.
I mention so many times. Mirror images of each other. The two party monopoly is more alike than people want to think on several fronts.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I knew Biden would be a neoliberal imperialist puppet who will drag us into more illegal wars, which is part of the reason why I voted for Trump. Iran is no threat to us. The only real threat to the US is China, and our neoliberal and Zionist foreign policy which is hurting us, too.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
What Trump didn't do, Biden did.

U.S. carries out airstrikes against Iranian-backed militia facilities in Syria: Pentagon

I'm actually impressed. Iran is a very dangerous country and the airstrikes serves a very strong message here.

What do you think of the situation and Biden's actions?
Do you believe he should have assassinated another Iranian general instead?

I'm genuinely curious about what constitutes the correct amount of involvement into Middle Eastern politics for American conservatives.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I've never heard from any of the many Iranian ex-pats
I know that they wanted a more militaristic Ameristan.
Anger often results in dysfunctional reactions, eg, our
attacking Iraq & Afghanistan after 9/11. We never
thought that thru....we just reacted out of thoughtless
vengeance....which both Hillary & Biden supported.
Support for the invasion of Afghanistan was bipartisan, to the point of being nearly unanimous in the US. During that time, I talked to many right-wing "libertarians" who saw no issue with deploying US military force either. I remember that back then, I felt largely alone in my objection to such an invasion.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Support for the invasion of Afghanistan was bipartisan, to the point of being nearly unanimous in the US. During that time, I talked to many right-wing "libertarians" who saw no issue with deploying US military force either. I remember that back then, I felt largely alone in my objection to such an invasion.
You didn't talk to me about it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sorry, let me get my time machine!
Libertarians can disagree among themselves
about how best to achieve shared goals.
My approach to an issue...
Which option is the most libertarian choice available.

Some non-libertarians here have decried this as not "pure".
I'm pragmatic. I don't do purity.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In fact, I'd argue that it's almost inevitable that they will.
But we have different tendencies than liberals & conservatives,
the result being some agreement with both on some issues.
I prefer our melange....or pastiche of policies to theirs.

@ChristineM....I spoke French!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Why are we talking about Trump when the post is about Biden?

Because the question itself is not a serious statement about what a President does to deserve 'blood on his hands' but a political ploy designed to try to show that liberals are hypocritical.

The question is thus fair only if the questioner honestly will answer his own question about his own guy.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't recall saying anything remotely like that.

Well, I said:

If they're ex-pats, then it's doubtful that they were speaking on behalf of the regime they fled from.

Then you said:

Wrongo pongo.
They had no love for that regime. Secular folk, draft dodgers
(who didn't want to die from poison gas on the front). And
they still have family & property back in the old country.

So, either they were speaking on behalf of the government of the Islamic Republic of Iran, or they weren't. I thought that since they were ex-pats, then it was doubtful that they would speak on behalf of the current Iranian government, but then you said "Wrongo pongo" to that.

Hillary speaking for Trump...extraordinarily unlikely.

Just like it's extraordinarily unlikely that ex-pats would speak for the regime they fled from. But you said "wrongo pongo" when I suggested that.

Politicians often place their own interests ahead of good public policy.

It depends on what the public wants (or is led to believe that they want). Also, I don't think politicians necessarily place their own interests ahead of things. They have campaign donors and party bosses to answer. They're never their own man.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So, either they were speaking on behalf of the government of the Islamic Republic of Iran, or they weren't. I thought that since they were ex-pats, then it was doubtful that they would speak on behalf of the current Iranian government, but then you said "Wrongo pongo" to that.
I'm losing track of things.
Suffice to say that they spoke personally,
& not on behalf of the government.
It depends on what the public wants (or is led to believe that they want). Also, I don't think politicians necessarily place their own interests ahead of things. They have campaign donors and party bosses to answer. They're never their own man.
Doing what the public wants is often not in the public's interest.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I knew Biden would be a neoliberal imperialist puppet who will drag us into more illegal wars, which is part of the reason why I voted for Trump. Iran is no threat to us. The only real threat to the US is China, and our neoliberal and Zionist foreign policy which is hurting us, too.

Except Trump was no different. It is sad that Biden continues the neoliberal bull**** of his predecessors. But voting for people who are even more authoritarian is not a rational alternative.