• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biden met with historians

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Biden met with historians who warned him about threats to democracy.

This is quote is from another news that helps, but I'm unable to find source. (Meaning that this is nothing special or new)
According to The Washington Post, since Reagan, American presidents have been meeting with historians who try to bring certain situations and problems closer to them and put them in a historical context.

Biden Met With Historians Who Warned About Threats to Democracy: WaPo (businessinsider.com)

Do you think democracy is really under threat and if so by whom?
What would you do to save democracy from "autocratic" regimes emerging around the globe?

I quoted "autocratic" because it is more correct to say neo-autocratic, or even better "custom democracy".

What I'm certain is that nations which are not part of NATO actively seek weakened US, and one way in achieving this could be in challenging democratic values by populistic means.

But how does one prove this and what can the US or Biden do to resist?

exchemist

Veteran Member

This is quote is from another news that helps, but I'm unable to find source. (Meaning that this is nothing special or new)

Biden Met With Historians Who Warned About Threats to Democracy: WaPo (businessinsider.com)

What would you do to save democracy from "autocratic" regimes emerging around the globe?

I quoted "autocratic" because it is more correct to say neo-autocratic, or even better "custom democracy".

What I'm certain is that nations which are not part of NATO actively seek weakened US, and one way in achieving this could be in challenging democratic values by populistic means.

Vote!

And don't vote Republican until they start repudiating the attacks on the democratic system and law enforcement.

PureX

Veteran Member

The threat is coming from within. Not from other nations. The US population has always had a significant leaning toward fascism, and it has reared it's head often over the years. There's no excuse for Biden not knowing this. And no excuse for his ignoring it his entire political career. He took the bribe money and told the lies just like the rest of them. And now, suddenly, he's surprised to see that the government he's been a part of for 50 years is so corrupt and incompetitant that it's about to be overthrown by the fascist cohorts sitting right next to him?

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
The threat is coming from within. Not from other nations. The US population has always had a significant leaning toward fascism, and it has reared it's head often over the years. There's no excuse for Biden not knowing this. And no excuse for his ignoring it his entire political career. He took the bribe money and told the lies just like the rest of them. And now, suddenly, he's surprised to see that the government he's been a part of for 50 years is so corrupt and incompetitant that it's about to be overthrown by the fascist cohorts sitting right next to him?
Agree with all you said, but I would not be surprised if external factors exist, it's quite a normal thing and no country is immune.

'We will take America without firing a shot.'
Nikita Khrushchev
lol, I watched some videos made by Evgeny Fedorov and you would be surprised they all speak with similar tone,
he suggested to secretly launch huge amounts of torpedoes under the sea near US cost to cause giant earthquake and destroy everything - the point being, not going to war, and yes he was pretty serious about that.

I can't find video since it was several years back but video was hosted on poznavatelnoe.tv

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, there is a HUGE threat to democracy. The US underwent an attempted coup on Jan 6. A great number of people in the US don't think the last election was fairly done. The Republican party is celebrating the anti-democrat Orban, explicitly saying they want a similar system here.

Not only is there a threat to democracy, it is openly stated and clearly marked. And yet people still deny it.

The US is currently in roughly the same place Germany was in 1930. We've already had an attempted coup by a popular leader who is manipulating to get into power. There are already threats of violence in support of this leader.

What happens next is up to us.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Just yesterday, arch-coward Lindsay Graham sat nodding and smiling in a Fox interview during which the host said, "we know they doctor evidence, we know they plant evidence, we know they hide evidence, we know they lie, we know they leak. I mean this is not anything new, this has been years they've been doing this..."

And this former chair (and now Ranking Member) of the Senate Judiciary Committee nodded and said "sure." This cowardly fool KNOWS better. But he would prefer to see the United States democracy fail than simply man-up and tell this Fox host to shut it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Hard to do if one is screwed both ways to Sunday.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Just yesterday, arch-coward Lindsay Graham sat nodding and smiling in a Fox interview during which the host said, "we know they doctor evidence, we know they plant evidence, we know they hide evidence, we know they lie, we know they leak. I mean this is not anything new, this has been years they've been doing this..."

And this former chair (and now Ranking Member) of the Senate Judiciary Committee nodded and said "sure." This cowardly fool KNOWS better. But he would prefer to see the United States democracy fail than simply man-up and tell this Fox host to shut it.
It's nice when Fox states the facts.

Heyo

Veteran Member
It is and the threat comes from those who badmouth democracy and the democratic institutions. And with badmouthing I don't mean valid critique with the intend to fix it. That is not what the intention is behind the big lie. The intention is to make the public distrust the system so that little resistance will come up when it is abolished.

wellwisher

The Covid pandemic showed us who the enemies of Democracy were. They were the ones who eagerly lorded over the masses, while living by a dual standard. Their true intent had been hidden behind public rhetoric. They only needed an excuse and opportunity to show their true colors. The entire world supply chain and inflation came from this basic political type making Democracy harder.

This over reach is less obvious now, because it did not play politically well using any metric of 20/20 hindsight. These enemies of Democracy are still the same, waiting to do it again. This was broken down by party line. Freedom needed for Democracy was supported by one side, while the loss of freedom was the way of the other side. Both faced the same circumstances, but one got rid of Democracy.

In a true Democracy, the government is the servant of the people and not its overlord, who thinks it is above the law. Therefore the enemies of Democracy are for even more government overreach, like we saw during the COVID pandemic. That overreach did not improve health statistics of it s citizen, but was an excuse to get rid of the freedoms of a Democracy. It hurt the middle class under the guise of being good for you.

If you look at the FBI, that same political party, who likes overreach, holds the record for using the power of government to harass citizens. It also holds the record for censorship and misinformation such as during the Russian Collusion Coup. All the raids on political opponents over the past 6 years came from that same party. How come nobody who ran the Russian Collusion Coup ever faced justice? Democracy is not being served if the leaders think they are above the law.

It is the same party that has set new records in terms of violent crime statistics in the cities they run. Crime makes it harder to have a Democracy, since the citizens do not feel safe or free in their own homes. In a Democracy, free speech is assured, but it becomes censored in dictatorship, since such crooks are not qualified and will need misinformation and censorship such as with the Hunter Biden Laptop. That same party said the laptop was Russian Misinformation and censored anyone who dared disagree. Now we know different but the dual justice system is still there for the enemies of Democracy, so they can censor the full truth.

Don't just accept misinformation, look at the facts and add it up. I am not saying everyone in any party is the same. Loss of Democracy will come from the top, not the bottom. All freedom loving citizens are better off if we get rid of those who are not qualified to lead an open and free Democracy. They can be seen by the tendency to use scare tactics to justify more government overreach.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Anyone remember the “John Lewis Voting Rights Act“? Or has that been completely forgotten?

You need to pass comprehensive voting rights legislation. You need to keep fighting for that. You need to know who in the Senate or House voted against that and do everything you can do to get them out of office.

And you need to work just as hard on the state level for similar legislation, or even put it in your state constitution. There are possibilities.

PureX

Veteran Member
'We will take America without firing a shot.'
Nikita Khrushchev
He's dead, and Russia isn't taking anything. Probably not even Ukraine.

But Krushchev was referring to the malignant greed of capitalism, and he was right about that. Even though it's taken longer than he'd presumed to do it's ugly damage. It does appear it will be our downfall in the end.

PureX

Veteran Member
Watching from the sidelines i believe democracy in the US is threatened by far right offshoots of the republican party.
Sadly, no. It's the Republican Party proper. Since the 1980s they have been determined to erase the Democratic Party and install a full on plutocracy controlled by themselves and their corporate cohorts. And so far they have not wavered from that goal.

The loony right is just a means to that end, for them. They're just about to usurp the power of the voting public, and once they've achieved that, they'll have free reign. Democracy is almost dead, now, and one more go-round with them in power and it will be dead and gone. Elections will be nothing but theater for the idiots that still think they matter. It's nearly that way, now.

PureX

Veteran Member

He's wealthy and famous. That's all that matter to him. So he'll tell all the lies he needs to, to stay where he is.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Historically, America has endured crooked politicians, and even entire factions - and democracy has suffered. One might question whether America was ever really much of a democracy to begin with, going back to the beginning when the only people who could vote were property-owning white males. Thanks to Andrew Jackson, that right was extended to all white males, no matter if they owned property or not. But anyone who wasn't white or male - they didn't get to vote. But they still considered it "democratic," at least within their narrow definition of the word.

The Civil War was a watershed event in American history - and democracy was certainly under threat back then, in more ways than one. Some people in some states were upset about the results of the election of 1860, and it quickly escalated from there. However in the aftermath, the 15th Amendment was passed which guaranteed that all males over 21 had the right to vote, regardless of race, although women were still excluded. Still, it appeared to be some progress, yet the way it was practiced was somewhat dishonestly, since there was still widespread denial of the right to vote, such as grandfather clauses and literacy tests which were used to deny blacks the right to vote. That problem was never really dealt with in earnest until the 1950s and 60s. But as far as the view of "democracy" as being a system of universal suffrage where all human adult citizens have the right to vote being faithfully implemented throughout the country - we haven't really had that for very long, relatively speaking.

Still, despite the upheavals, atrocious inequities, and other problems, there have also been long periods of political stability and relative prosperity, where the democratic process continues and most transfers of power go smoothly and peacefully. A few times, they don't, and this last time was quite the fiasco. Whether we can move past this is another matter.

One thing that should be mentioned is that political harmony can be best maintained when more people have a genuine stake in the survival of the system. When a large enough portion of the population is left out in the cold, then they'll care more about basic necessities than any abstract philosophies or political principles. That's always been the biggest threat to democracy and political stability.

Another complication also has to do with the culture of politics in general, as well as perceptions of government and the world which were formed during the Cold War era.