• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biden angers France, EU with new Australia, UK initiative

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe because France really doesn't have any significant connections in the Pacific area any longer other than trade. I still think Biden should have connected with them because of NATO though.

They still have French Polynesia (including Tahiti), New Caledonia, and a few other islands in the region. They have a permanent military presence in the Pacific.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Australia doesn't have the ability to make them otherwise they wouldn't have contracted with France

Not really true. We don't have the ability to manufacture the powerplants, but a great deal of the submarine manufacture can (and does) happen in Australia.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Probably, but they are also quieter then nuclear subs as far as I remember. Harder to find and spot.

Yup. But that is somewhat negated by the need to surface regularly.
End of the day, it's horses for courses. Conventional subs can be pretty effective hunters, but if you want to do long range and length recon/spying, or just maintain an active fleet at sea, there is no real comparison (based on current tech).

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Just speaking from an Australian point of view, we seem quite comfortable pissing off the EU of late, whether it's by cutting trade deals with the UK that dodge some of our carbon emission responsibilities, or by exiting an in place contractual arrangement with France in favour of cutting a new deal with the US.

The US and UK are obviously our two traditional allies. But it does worry me that our government seems to be promoting those relationships over all others right now. Dividing the Western world has it's own strategic risks, quite apart from this seeming like a poor way to deal with a contract partner.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
The US and UK are obviously our two traditional allies. But it does worry me that our government seems to be promoting those relationships over all others right now. Dividing the Western world has it's own strategic risks, quite apart from this seeming like a poor way to deal with a contract partner.
In the near future, they're likely going to be ideologically closer to the heavily coal and uranium dependent Australian government than the EU, as neither the US nor the UK are going to be all that interested in combating climate change by anything more than vapid speeches, with all three having vested interests in flaunting future climate accords.