• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biden Administration Grasping At Straws

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
We haven't had any leaps of such magnitude
that government should step in to lower prices.
Even so, supplying us with a few days worth
would be insignificant & temporary.

You have not had steep price rises? Wow. And i have seen several threads on RF by Americans complaining of the increased price if fuel.. makes you wonder eh?

On top of what the us motoring public uses i think you are talking more than a few days, more likely a couple of months, unless of course said motoring public doubles their motoring pleasure overnight.

I believe the extra stock will serve to reduce the price increases at least for a few months. I think the term is "wait and see"

esmith

Veteran Member
You have not had steep price rises? Wow. And i have seen several threads on RF by Americans complaining of the increased price if fuel.. makes you wonder eh?

On top of what the us motoring public uses i think you are talking more than a few days, more likely a couple of months, unless of course said motoring public doubles their motoring pleasure overnight.

I believe the extra stock will serve to reduce the price increases at least for a few months. I think the term is "wait and see"
You do realize that transportation is more than just the average household drivers don't you.
Well probably not. See the below post link for the answers

F1fan

Veteran Member
Seems that things are continuing to go down the proverbial drain for the current adminstration that they are resorting to gimmicks.
Biden is releasing 50 million barrels of oil from the U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserveoil due to high gas prices. However this is nothing more than a gimmick since the US uses around 18 million barrels of oil a day.

Biden to release 50M barrels of oil from Strategic Petroleum Reserve amid gas price spike
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA).
Talk about grasping at straws, it's conservatives who are never going to support Biden for trying to help mitigate the effects of the pandemic given the economy is roaring back to health.

If anything why not complain that Biden is interfering with the free market? Conservatives typically want the free market to do whatever it does, regardless of the consequences, and government should stay out of it. Why the flip flop? Grasping at straws just so you can ***** no matter what Biden does?

F1fan

Veteran Member
In my travels, fuel looks plentiful....no lines, always available.
The only "crisis" is people complaining about posted pump prices.
The price of gas has dropped about 20 cents over the last few weeks here in the midwest USA. It's under $3 now.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Biden is releasing 50 million barrels of oil from the U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserveoil due to high gas prices.
50 million barrels of oil X 45 gallons of petroleum per barrel = 2.25 Billion gallons of petroleum
However this is nothing more than a gimmick since the US uses around 18 million barrels of oil a day.
From your source, the US uses 18 million gallons of PETROLEUM per day.

2,250,000,000 gallons of petroleum / 18,000,000 per day = 125 days.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
You do realize that transportation is more than just the average household drivers don't you.
Well probably not. See the below post link for the answers

Do you really think i am that stupid? Ahh do i smell dumb blonde misogyny here?

Where did i mention "household" i will wait for your answer or apology.

pearl

upload_2021-11-23_11-11-57.png

Trump Authorizes Release From Strategic Petroleum Reserve
Trump Authorizes Release From Strategic Petroleum Reserve | OilPrice.com

PureX

Veteran Member
You've told me that you don't provide support for your
claims. If I disagree, then it's my job to investigate why
you're right, & I'm wrong.
So I took your advice.
Lo!
You're wrong.
The increased deficit correlates with Covid 19's inception in 2020,
not Trump's term in office.
The pandemic hit us while Trump was in office, and was way worse then it might have been due directly to his idiocy. Also, what was Trump's response the the pandemic's effect on commerce? It was to throw massive piles of money at a few giant corporate political sponsors and then fight tooth and nail any aid to the average citizen; republicanism 101. You don't really have to look any of this up, though, because we were all there when it all happened.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Except that it sends a message to the oil conglomerates that he is willing to do something they really don't want to see happen. A shot across their bow, so to speak. In hopes that it might curb their endless greed.
This mischaracterises it. The oil companies, most of whom are NOT conglomerates, do not suffer from "endless greed" any more than any other business. The oil price is high because of OPEC and the Russians, i.e. the policy of oil and gas exporting countries, not because of oil companies.

There is some truth to the accusation that Biden is indulging in gimmickry. He may be able to reduce the price of domestic oil for a while by releasing reserves, but basically he's fighting a global supply/demand balance that he can only change by persuading MbS to pump more oil.

I read that Biden has also commissioned yet another pointless probe into market collusion on motor fuel pricing. This will duly come up empty handed, like all the others, for the same reason: the cause is global supply and demand for crude oil.

PureX

Veteran Member
This mischaracterises it. The oil companies, most of whom are NOT conglomerates, do not suffer from "endless greed" any more than any other business. The oil price is high because of OPEC and the Russians, i.e. the policy of oil and gas exporting countries, not because of oil companies.
They all want to make back the profits they didn't make during the pandemic. The whole system is controlled by greed. The distributors will blame the suppliers, but they will all engage in the price-gouging because they are all operating on the motive of greed.
There is some truth to the accusation that Biden is indulging in gimmickry. He may be able to reduce the price of domestic oil for a while by releasing reserves, but basically he's fighting a global supply/demand balance that he can only change by persuading MbS to pump more oil.
It's not a "gimmick" to use the reserves for the purpose for which they were reserved. Which would certainly include maintaining price stability in the face of price-gouging during a pandemic.
I read that Biden has also commissioned yet another pointless probe into market collusion on motor fuel pricing. This will duly come up empty handed, like all the others, for the same reason: the cause is global supply and demand for crude oil.
It will be pointless because none of these people have to meet in a dark room to agree to price-gouge. Their innate greed will unite them in that goal, automatically.

exchemist

Veteran Member
They all want to make back the profits they didn't make during the pandemic. The whole system is controlled by greed. The distributors will blame the suppliers, but they will all engage in the price-gouging because they are all operating on the motive of greed.
It's not a "gimmick" to use the reserves for the purpose for which they were reserved. Which would certainly include maintaining price stability in the face of price-gouging during a pandemic.
It will be pointless because none of these people have to meet in a dark room to agree to price-gouge. Their innate greed will unite them in that goal, automatically.
This "gouging" of yours is all in your head. As I've explained, prices are high because the crude oil price is high. And that is because of what exporting nations have decided as matters of national policy.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Complaining about gas prices is Ameristan's favorite sport.
Especially so when the Prez is of the other party.
Biden Taps Oil Reserves in Effort to Lower Gas Prices
Releasing 50M barrels in a country that uses 20M/day....meh.
Our gasoline is far cheaper than what you guys pay.
No need for government to step in here.