• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biden Administration Grasping At Straws

esmith

Veteran Member
Seems that things are continuing to go down the proverbial drain for the current adminstration that they are resorting to gimmicks.
Biden is releasing 50 million barrels of oil from the U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserveoil due to high gas prices. However this is nothing more than a gimmick since the US uses around 18 million barrels of oil a day.

Biden to release 50M barrels of oil from Strategic Petroleum Reserve amid gas price spike
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA).

PureX

Veteran Member
Except that it sends a message to the oil conglomerates that he is willing to do something they really don't want to see happen. A shot across their bow, so to speak. In hopes that it might curb their endless greed.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Seems that things are continuing to go down the proverbial drain for the current adminstration that they are resorting to gimmicks.
Biden is releasing 50 million barrels of oil from the U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserveoil due to high gas prices. However this is nothing more than a gimmick since the US uses around 18 million barrels of oil a day.

Biden to release 50M barrels of oil from Strategic Petroleum Reserve amid gas price spike
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA).
It's also bad policy. If the reserve is "strategic",
it shouldn't be used in times of plentiful supply
just cuz of a transient price bump.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Why is it whenever a Democrat administration is in charge, inflation always hits the roof?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's also bad policy. If the reserve is "strategic",
it shouldn't be used in times of plentiful supply
just cuz of a transient price bump.
Transient seems irrelevant now givin the hostility democrats show towards fossil fuels.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Certainly an improvement on the last president who grasped at *****

And of course its not a point of how many barrels are used but how many barrels extra are needed to stabilise the price

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

And of course its not a point of how many barrels are used but how many barrels extra are needed to stabilise the price
The irony is that some Pubs asked him to tap into the federal reserve and now he's catching hell from some of the same because he is. I do believe there's a name for this. ;)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Price stabilization isn't necessary.
Moreover, it has a benefit when it rises over time.
This causes people to think & act more about
conservation. Stability does the opposite, ie,
people become inured to the price, & resume
their wanton ways.
I'm too lazy to search for sources that I recall.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I thought supply was lower than usual due to OPEP country's deciding to stranglehold production and keep reserves as to kickstart their own economic recovery following COVID lockdowns and recession.
In my travels, fuel looks plentiful....no lines, always available.
The only "crisis" is people complaining about posted pump prices.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Because the previous republic administration drove the economy into the ditch throwing money at the rich?
You've told me that you don't provide support for your
claims. If I disagree, then it's my job to investigate why
you're right, & I'm wrong.
So I took your advice.
Lo!
You're wrong.
The increased deficit correlates with Covid 19's inception in 2020,
not Trump's term in office. Moreover, federal tax revenue increased
over & above Obama's administration. It actually increased every
year he was in office.
Ref...
Who Really Pays Uncle Sam's Bills?
https://datalab.usaspending.gov/americas-finance-guide/deficit/trends/

It appears that providing evidence for one's claims has 2 merits:
1) It can enlighten others.
2) It can prevent one from having wrong beliefs.

I recommend reading #2 thrice.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

If anything, this has really caused me to increase in prayer for my nation. I see so many wrong turns that will be detrimental in the long run. May God's mercy and grace be with us and on us.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
You've told me that you don't provide support for your
claims. If I disagree, then it's my job to investigate why
you're right, & I'm wrong.
So I took your advice.
Lo!
You're wrong.
The increased deficit correlates with Covid 19's inception in 200,
not Trump's term in office. Moreover, federal tax revenue increased
over & above Obama's administration. It actually increased every
year he was in office.
Ref...
Who Really Pays Uncle Sam's Bills?
https://datalab.usaspending.gov/americas-finance-guide/deficit/trends/
WOW! Well done! Great investigative reporting! Great deduction! As "revolting" as it may be, I actually agree with you! :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Price stabilization isn't necessary.
Moreover, it has a benefit when it rises over time.
This causes people to think & act more about
conservation. Stability does the opposite, ie,
people become inured to the price, & resume
their wanton ways.
I'm too lazy to search for sources that I recall.

Stabilised as in typical, i.e, yes rising over time not taking giant leaps

And i guess you have not had your energy giving haggis today

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Stabilised as in typical, i.e, yes rising over time not taking giant leaps

And i guess you have not had your energy giving haggis today
We haven't had any leaps of such magnitude
that government should step in to lower prices.
Even so, supplying us with a few days worth
would be insignificant & temporary.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I support any change that reduces fossil fuel consumption. I prefer to see money going to green technologies rather than be consumed in higher consumer prices for petrochemical products and retail products whose prices are tied to fuel costs, and fully support the Biden administration's effort to divert public funds toward green technology, but whatever makes burning gasoline more prohibitive or more difficult is a move in the right direction in my estimation, whether that be less expensive green alternatives, or inflation, gasoline taxes, or gasoline shortages making the cost of fuel prohibitive.

Yes, heating and air conditioning will be more expensive, but that's an incentive to become independent of the utilities and generate your own power. People where I live are complaining about propane prices going up, but our propane consumption dropped 75% when we went solar, and our electricity has been free since the system paid for itself four years ago. With the price of these systems falling and the price of power going up, the incentive to go solar increases, and the number of homes that become relatively fossil fuel independent goes up. If rising fuel costs facilitate such transformations, then that is a good thing.

tytlyf

Not Religious

Usually if something doesn't make sense it's not true. Your far-right media is tricking you...again.
Let's see if you spot it, hehe.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I support any change that reduces fossil fuel consumption. I prefer to see money going to green technologies rather than be consumed in higher consumer prices for petrochemical products and retail products whose prices are tied to fuel costs, and fully support the Biden administration's effort to divert public funds toward green technology, but whatever makes burning gasoline more prohibitive or more difficult is a move in the right direction in my estimation, whether that be less expensive green alternatives, or inflation, gasoline taxes, or gasoline shortages making the cost of fuel prohibitive.

Yes, heating and air conditioning will be more expensive, but that's an incentive to become independent of the utilities and generate your own power. People where I live are complaining about propane prices going up, but our propane consumption dropped 75% when we went solar, and our electricity has been free since the system paid for itself four years ago. With the price of these systems falling and the price of power going up, the incentive to go solar increases, and the number of homes that become relatively fossil fuel independent goes up. If rising fuel costs facilitate such transformations, then that is a good thing.
I like positive change resulting from individual
choices in a free market. Go green!