• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bicyclists Beware!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I blame everyone is this "debate." Motorists are ******** to cyclists, but it's not too uncommon to find a cyclists who only narrowly avoids serious injury due to someone else's quick response time. I want a high-powered taser dart for drivers who act like cyclists aren't worthy of road respect, but also for those cyclists who swerve in-and-out of traffic at high speeds and suddenly pull out in front of oncoming traffic.

I might look into those since I drive for Lyft now.
You should also consider an internal camera. I have read that Uber drivers can charge drinks that get sick in their vehicles. A camera is almost a must for that.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Many drivers are dangerous to us....on purpose.
In the news....
Study: Aggressive Driving is Linked to Seeing Cyclists as ‘Less than Human’

Back in the late 70s, one driver ran me down on purpose.
He told the cops he wanted to break my neck, & was disappointed that I survived.
(I did survive though.)
an old story....
I was kid of early teens pumping pedals up the incline of an awkward parking lot
large lot
no cars
just me in the middle of it going up the incline

but silly me wasn't looking to the left

someone drove through the lot coming on from the left
hit my front wheel
dumping me on the hood

and we just kinda looked at each other through his windshield

no harm no foul....I guess

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I never did the spandex thing.
It is just wrong!
Except on svelte girlies.
I have tried it....in spite of my skinny chicken legs

one....the cuff of your pant leg won't hang up in the chain and sprocket
two....the squeeze of the elastic does make your leg feel better
must be a circulation thing

but yeah.....I ain't got nothing to flaunt
so....no more spandex

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You should also consider an internal camera. I have read that Uber drivers can charge drinks that get sick in their vehicles. A camera is almost a must for that.
Not sure about Uber (still waiting for my registration in the mail to drive for them), but with Lyft if someone gets sick in the car they cover the cost for cleaning. I haven't had that issue yet, but I drove so many drunk people who were so heavily intoxicated I'm surprised I didn't get a contact buzz from the fumes (and that there were no accidents).

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I have never met another cyclist that uses a bell if they even have one.

Being as most pedestrians ignored my bell I have upped my game and fitted a horn. That shifts them!
A bell? In the U.S. in most areas bicyclists are supposed to use the roads. Pedestrians tend to stay on the sidewalks. At intersections where one crosses the street pedestrians have the right of way.. A bell would not be of much use here.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
He told the cops he wanted to break my neck, & was disappointed that I survived.
(I did survive though.)
Did he catch you in the woods with his daughter?
OMG...... did he catch you in the woods with his Missus?

Revolting........... you must have done something for the bloke to try and kill you, and then admit it to the cops...?
Howe long was his sentence after conviction?
:p

But really, some drivers think that pedestrians, dogs, cyclists and more are sub human. That's the world.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Being as most pedestrians ignored my bell I have upped my game and fitted a horn. That shifts them!

I have got bells on my bikes, but in sudden emergency I concentrate on steering and brakes, and scream out loud, which I think is more effective.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A bell? In the U.S. in most areas bicyclists are supposed to use the roads. Pedestrians tend to stay on the sidewalks. At intersections where one crosses the street pedestrians have the right of way.. A bell would not be of much use here.
We definitely need more bike lanes.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
We definitely need more bike lanes.
It depends on where one lives. Seattle is rather hilly and bike lanes won't get a person over those hills much easier. Even though there are far more lanes than needed the number of cyclists has not increased. Bad weather and bad topography limits the number of cyclists.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
What is the setup in England? Do cyclists and pedestrians share paths?
Yes, some paths are shared, others are divided but nobody seems to take notice of which part to use.
Some roads have wide marked margins just for cyclists.

The average driver around East Kent UK is very careful about cyclists. I expect that London drivers might be more aggressive.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I hired a lawyer, & (as I recall) got $10K minus the lawyer's fee.
Btw, it wasn't profitable enuf to be worth trying again.

Would it be worth suing the bar steward who did this to me?
download (1).jpg

Notanumber

A Free Man

In the UK, we have shared pathways. Even where we have dedicated cycle lanes, pedestrians wander about like lost sheep with their dogs off their lead.

It is a nightmare out there for us cyclists.

BTW, in the UK it is compulsory for a bell to be fitted to any new bike.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Many drivers are dangerous to us....on purpose.
In the news....
Study: Aggressive Driving is Linked to Seeing Cyclists as ‘Less than Human’

(I did survive though.)

Here's Carlin's take on bicycles:

An aggressive attitude, perhaps, although he was correct in that bicycles are essentially a toy. They don't really belong on highways or major thoroughfares.

I think bicyclists suffer from an identity crisis. They're really pedestrians, but they think they're driving motor vehicles. (No different than someone on a skateboard or roller skates.) That's where the problems come in. If they'd stay out of traffic, like most pedestrians know enough to do, then there'd be far fewer problems.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I blame everyone is this "debate." Motorists are ******** to cyclists, but it's not too uncommon to find a cyclists who only narrowly avoids serious injury due to someone else's quick response time. I want a high-powered taser dart for drivers who act like cyclists aren't worthy of road respect, but also for those cyclists who swerve in-and-out of traffic at high speeds and suddenly pull out in front of oncoming traffic.

Its one (or 2 if you have a rear facing one) of those things that seem a waste of time until needed. Then they are invaluable.

Dont know about over there but in the uk there are some insurance companies who offer reduced premiums if you have one.

Jumi

Separate lanes for bicycles is something I like about living living here. Not every area has them though, unlike places like Amsterdam.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I use a bell.
And if coming up behind someone unaware,
I check my speed to ensure they hear me in time.
Why?
I hate both conflict and hospitals.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I know....
There just aren't enuf of the right kind of weapons in the hands of the deserving on the road.