• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical prophesy

74x12

You don't need to believe the Bible to understand it. In fact believing it is often counterproductive. I have seen believers go to ridiculous lengths to explain away errors in the Bible, instead of owning up to the obvious.
Circular reasoning.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Circular reasoning.
You should not use phrases that you do not understand.

Do you have to believe the Grecian myths to understand them? Do you need to believe the Norse myths to understand them? I don't think many people would make that error. Why do Christians always think that others have to believe their myths to understand them? They seem to forget that many atheists use to be Christians and became atheists due to a better understanding of the Bible.

If anyone is guilty of circular reasoning here it is you.

dianaiad

I just saw this video by Aron Ra where he goes over why the prophecies of the Bible fail:

He points out quite correctly that to be valid a prophesy must be clear and have a set date. Given enough time any "prophecy" that is vague enough will be fulfilled. Quite often more than once. Lowering Bible prophecies to the level of "you will see a red car" would make all prophecy worthless.

You can watch the video if you like, but it is not a prerequisite to discuss prophecy here.

What is the question for debate, here?
If the question is about biblical prophecies and whether they comply with the assumption you have stated, then I would ask you...who said prophecies must be clear and have a set date?

I mean, really. That IS begging the question.

Or...is the question whether prophecies must be clear and have a set date?

If it's that, how the heck are we supposed to establish something like that?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What is the question for debate, here?
If the question is about biblical prophecies and whether they comply with the assumption you have stated, then I would ask you...who said prophecies must be clear and have a set date?

I mean, really. That IS begging the question.

Or...is the question whether prophecies must be clear and have a set date?

What do you mean 'who said'? Unclear prophecies can be "fulfilled" multiple times. That makes them failures. They are simply likely events and not prophecies. And given enough time almost anything will come true. That is why a time limit is needed to. It is not a matter of "who" it is a matter of "what" and the "what" is logic.

And please, learn what "begging the question" means.

If it's that, how the heck are we supposed to establish something like that?

What are you asking here? My point is that if people want to try to use prophecies as "proof" of Jesus then those prophecies have to follow logical rules. Otherwise you just have the saying of Nostradamus all over again.

dianaiad

What do you mean 'who said'?

I believe the question is clear and simple enough. "Who Said?"

Who is the authority that gets to dictate stuff like this?

Unclear prophecies can be "fulfilled" multiple times. That makes them failures.

.........or wild successes, depending upon ones POV.

They are simply likely events and not prophecies. And given enough time almost anything will come true. That is why a time limit is needed to. It is not a matter of "who" it is a matter of "what" and the "what" is logic.

And please, learn what "begging the question" means.

I used the term correctly. Perhaps you should look it up?

What are you asking here? My point is that if people want to try to use prophecies as "proof" of Jesus then those prophecies have to follow logical rules. Otherwise you just have the saying of Nostradamus all over again.

Uhmn....wait. Where in the OP did you mention 'proving Jesus?" I mean, the video concentrates on the bible, but in your OP you stated that we didn't have to watch the video, because it wasn't a prerequisite to discussing prophecy. Therefore one can reasonably conclude that you wish to discuss prophecy in general, not prophecy in regards to, specifically, 'proving Jesus."

It seems to me, then, that you are moving the goal posts a bit here.

(shrug) just as a disclaimer, and this might sound odd given that I'm a dyed in the wool theist and all, I was only able to watch the first couple of minutes or so of the video (time constraints) and I agreed with what he had to say. The bible is NOT a science text and was never meant to be one.

I'll probably watch the rest of it later, but since you didn't make doing so a prerequisite for discussing prophecy......

When did you decide that you only wanted to talk about prophecy that 'proved Jesus,' and again, who established the parameters you insist we use?

And why should we pay attention?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I believe the question is clear and simple enough. "Who Said?"

Who is the authority that gets to dictate stuff like this?

.........or wild successes, depending upon ones POV.

I used the term correctly. Perhaps you should look it up?

Uhmn....wait. Where in the OP did you mention 'proving Jesus?" I mean, the video concentrates on the bible, but in your OP you stated that we didn't have to watch the video, because it wasn't a prerequisite to discussing prophecy. Therefore one can reasonably conclude that you wish to discuss prophecy in general, not prophecy in regards to, specifically, 'proving Jesus."

It seems to me, then, that you are moving the goal posts a bit here.

(shrug) just as a disclaimer, and this might sound odd given that I'm a dyed in the wool theist and all, I was only able to watch the first couple of minutes or so of the video (time constraints) and I agreed with what he had to say. The bible is NOT a science text and was never meant to be one.

I'll probably watch the rest of it later, but since you didn't make doing so a prerequisite for discussing prophecy......

When did you decide that you only wanted to talk about prophecy that 'proved Jesus,' and again, who established the parameters you insist we use?

And why should we pay attention?
Excessively breaking up a post is rude. Try again. There were only two response to your longer screed. Three is the max.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I am not doing your homework for you.

if the supposed evidence is out there then why can't you find any?

If you were interested, you would have done a simple search.,. Why put effort on someone who doesn't really care?

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
If you were interested, you would have done a simple search.,. Why put effort on someone who doesn't really care?
That's not how this works. You make the claim, you provide the evidence.

Otherwise anyone could claim any ridiculous thing, and say "now you go prove it".

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I have done the search. No credible sources could be found. Look at how terribly you have failed here in supporting your claims. I am open to valid reason evidence, all that you have to do is to find some.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
actually it has
Bryant Wood has shown considerable evidence
I already responded to this when I explained that it was off topic since it does not real with prophecy. But I did some digging for @Armoured and found that he was a failed archaeologist. His dating for the proposed city of Jericho was off by a significant amount:

Bryant G. Wood - Wikipedia

"Wood has attempted to redate the destruction of Jericho City IV from the end of the Middle Bronze Age (c. 1550 B.C.) to the end of the Late Bronze I (c. 1400 BC). He has put forward four lines of argument to support his conclusion. Not a single one of these arguments can stand up to scrutiny. On the contrary, there is strong evidence to confirm Kathleen Kenyon's dating of City IV to the Middle Bronze Age. Wood's attempt to equate the destruction of City IV with the Israelite conquest of Jericho must therefore be rejected.[6]"

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Nice deflection. Now, once again.please quote my position on the Exodus myth.

So are you now claiming that you were just being a jerk when you posted this:

"Just out of curiosity, what are your three favorite texts on Syro-Palestinian archaeology?"

Not quite as bad as asking for favorite texts on why the Earth is not flat, but in the running.