• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical prophesy

whirlingmerc

What makes you think that he is biased? He has a strong viewpoint but he does not deny reality. What evidence do you have for any successful prophecies? And one thing one needs to keep in mind is that any vague enough prophecy without any dates is bound to be "fulfilled". Specific prophecies in the Bible fail in epic fashion. The Tyre prophesy is one of them. It was a specific prophesy about how a specific king would defeat and destroy Tyre. He failed to do so. At that point the liars for Jesus, also known as apologists, come in and try to change the interpretation of the text.

Saying he doesn't deny reality is a thinly veiled circular argument.... wouldn't you say... since you're assuming your point of view is true and real

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
actually it has
Bryant Wood has shown considerable evidence
Nope, I am familiar with this "Jericho" is merely a town whose name is uncertain and whose walls came down. Walls of an invaded city come down quite often. Finding something that roughly matches a Bible story is not confirmation.

Try again.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Saying he doesn't deny reality is a thinly veiled circular argument.... wouldn't you say... since you're assuming your point of view is true and real
No. you base your claims upon circular arguments. Right now you are merely spamming the thread. I made no assumptions. You on the other hand appear to have only that.

This is called projection.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
There is considerable evidence that the Exodus happened
and has been documented in the world 'Patterns of Evidence'
Sorry, but again that is nonsense that is not taken seriously by any archaeologist. I have to run for a bit, but why not try to find your best example of prophesy. Keep in mind the excessively vague rule. If a prophecy has been interpreted to be fulfilled, but different sects have different fulfillments you can be fairly sure that it is a failed prophecy due to being excessively vague. That was how Nostradamus got to be considered to be a prophet. Excessively vague prophecies of events that were likely to happen anyway.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Actually I referenced considerable evidence
Wrong again. Videos by ignorant fools does not qualify as evidence.

You need to make a claim. Find a link in print that supports you. I am betting that you did not watch the video that you can't refute. Why should anyone watch any of yours?

74x12

I just saw this video by Aron Ra where he goes over why the prophecies of the Bible fail:

He points out quite correctly that to be valid a prophesy must be clear and have a set date. Given enough time any "prophecy" that is vague enough will be fulfilled. Quite often more than once. Lowering Bible prophecies to the level of "you will see a red car" would make all prophecy worthless.

You can watch the video if you like, but it is not a prerequisite to discuss prophecy here.
Maybe those prophecies aren't meant to be signs for non-believers.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Just out of curiosity, what are your three favorite texts on Syro-Palestinian archaeology?

Do I really need any? You do not seem to realize that claiming the Exodus is real puts a huge burden of proof upon you. All I need to do is to point out that such a migration would have left massive evidence and there does not appear to be any. A lack of evidence can be evidence against.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I just saw this video by Aron Ra where he goes over why the prophecies of the Bible fail:

He points out quite correctly that to be valid a prophesy must be clear and have a set date. Given enough time any "prophecy" that is vague enough will be fulfilled. Quite often more than once. Lowering Bible prophecies to the level of "you will see a red car" would make all prophecy worthless.

You can watch the video if you like, but it is not a prerequisite to discuss prophecy here.
However, if you have a multiplicity of prophecies and all of them are to be fulfilled at one moment... then you have certainty.

Applying the Science of Probability to the Scriptures | Bible | Lamb and Lion Ministries

a probability of all 8 prophecies being fulfilled accidently in the life of one person. That probability is 1in 1017 or 1 in 100,000,000,000,000,000. That’s one in one hundred quadrillion!

"Vagueness" would not be the correct word. Nice try, but you will have to come up with something a little more substantial

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The problem is that prophecy isn’t literal, and it really isn’t about future prediction. Biblically speaking, prophecy is nothing more or less than speaking God’s truth. And metaphor is utilized heavily. To try to say that biblical prophecy is anything else is to misappropriate the term and construct a straw man.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
However, if you have a multiplicity of prophecies and all of them are to be fulfilled at one moment... then you have certainty.

Applying the Science of Probability to the Scriptures | Bible | Lamb and Lion Ministries

a probability of all 8 prophecies being fulfilled accidently in the life of one person. That probability is 1in 1017 or 1 in 100,000,000,000,000,000. That’s one in one hundred quadrillion!

"Vagueness" would not be the correct word. Nice try, but you will have to come up with something a little more substantial

Looked at it. It appears that quite a few of those verses are not even prophecies. They are interpretations after the fact. That makes your site dishonest and worthless.

It is wise to avoid Christian apologetics, that is for the most part just lying for Jesus.

Do you think that you can find a valid site?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The problem is that prophecy isn’t literal, and it really isn’t about future prediction. Biblically speaking, prophecy is nothing more or less than speaking God’s truth. And metaphor is utilized heavily. To try to say that biblical prophecy is anything else is to misappropriate the term and construct a straw man.
This redefinition of "prophecy" is used when one understands that biblical prophecies fail quite often.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Looked at it. It appears that quite a few of those verses are not even prophecies. They are interpretations after the fact. That makes your site dishonest and worthless.

It is wise to avoid Christian apologetics, that is for the most part just lying for Jesus.

Do you think that you can find a valid site?

Yes, for you it will never be right... and we understand that. But since there were dozens of prophecies about Jesus, it still makes you veiwpoint quite mute.