• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical prophecies and statements. Are they about Jesus Christ or Bahaullah?

Skywalker

Does not answer anything. Thanks.

The term Son of Man is a reference to the divinity of Jesus. Grammatical gender is different from a person meaning a man or woman. Does the term “Son of God” mean that Jesus is not God? | CARM.org

Does the term “Son of God” mean that Jesus is not God?
by Matt Slick

Does the term “Son of God” mean that Jesus is not God?

No, the term “Son of God” does not mean that Jesus is not divine. Think about it. If the term “Son of God” means that Jesus is not God, then does the term “Son of Man” mean that Jesus is not a man? Of course not. Instead, the term is used to describe the majesty and honor of Jesus, who was the Son of God.

1. Jesus Christ is the Son of God, (Matt. 26:63; Mark 1:1; John 20:31; Heb. 4:14).
  2. Unclean spirits would fall down before Jesus and say, “You are the Son of God,” (Mark 3:11).
  3. “…the holy offspring shall be called the Son of God,” (Luke 1:35).
  4. Those who hear the voice of the Son of God shall live (John 5:25).
  5. Paul had faith in the Son of God (Gal. 2:20).
  6. Son of God has no beginning or end (Heb. 7:3).
  7. The Son of God appeared to destroy the works of the devil (1 John 3:8).
  8. Believing in the Son of God so that you may have eternal life (1 John 5:13).
We can see that Jesus is the Son of God, that unclean spirits fell down before him, that Paul had faith in him, that he has no beginning or end, and that in him we have eternal life. Clearly this is saying that he is more than just a man.
Finally, John 5:18 is significant.

“For this cause therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God,” (John 5:18).

Notice that saying that God was Jesus’ Father was to make himself equal with God. Therefore, we can see the term “Son of God” is not a denial that Jesus is God. Instead, it affirms it.

Skywalker

No, it is supported by an incorrect interpretation of the Bible made by Christians.

The Quran says that Mary is part of the Trinity. Thats an incorrect interpretation of the Bible. The doubts about the Incarnation are also based on incorrect interpretations of the Bible. An Explanation of the Incarnation and the Biblical View of Allah for Muslims

An Explanation of the Incarnation and the Biblical View of Allah for Muslims
To understand the incarnation, you first have to understand the Biblical concept of Allah (I will use Allah, since I believe this is a good Arabic word for God). You need to see how we see Allah in order to understand how we can even possibly believe He could have done something like the incarnation.

The Qur'anic and Biblical views of Allah are totally different. If a person presupposes that the Qur'anic view of Allah is the one that they will believe in, then the incarnation does not and will never make sense. There is no way to prove the incarnation if Allah is seen in this way.

However, the incarnation will make perfect sense if someone presupposes that the Biblical view of Allah is the one they want to believe in. It is only a natural, logical outcome of who Allah says He is in the Bible. So, before trying to explain or "prove" the incarnation, I will spend a little bit of time explaining the differences between how Muslims see Allah and how Biblical Christians see Allah.

In Islam, Allah is "transcendent," which is a big, long, theological word basically meaning that He is beyond us as human beings, and unrelated to anything that we can know or comprehend. He is unknowable, impersonal, a being that does not relate or interact with His creation in a personal way. There is nothing about His attributes or characteristics that is even remotely like something human beings can relate to.

In Islam, Allah has 99 names. However, "love" is not one of them as far as I have been able to tell in the various lists I have seen of the 99 names. I have read the entire Qur'an (in English -- unfortunately my Arabic is not that good!) and it appears to me that Allah seems to only love those who love Him. The only time it is mentioned that Allah is loving is in relationship to those who follow Him. Anyone else seems to be outside of that love until they have come under submission (islam/salam) to Him.

The Islamic view of Paradise is a place where Allah is not obviously present. There are many pleasures to be experienced, but Allah is not a part of any of these pleasures. Allah is never mentioned as being a part of the experience of being in Paradise, and He is "absent" from being there.

However, in the Bible, Allah is not unknowable or impersonal. He is a personal God, a God who interacts and relates to His people. He is a God who wants a relationship with each human being in the same way that we would relate to another person who is a friend or family member.

It would be too hard to quote, because it is mentioned too many times in the Bible (I'd have to quote most of it!), but over and over and over again, Allah is described as a loving Father. He is seen as a Father, not from a physical point of view, but in the same way that a loving father relates to his children is the way the Bible describes Allah as relating to His believers.

In fact, we are taught to pray, "Our Father who is in Heaven . . ." and the Bible describes the true believer as a person who have been given the power to become a child of Allah. We Christians call our fellow Christians "brother" and "sister" not because we have a common brotherhood as human beings, but because we are brothers and sisters with all the others who see Allah as their Father and who are part of the family of Allah.

Allah is a God of love, a God who loves every single person in the world, not just those who love or obey Him. In fact, in one part of the Bible it says that "Allah is love," and the primary characteristic of Allah is that He loves in a perfect way. He loves human beings purely because He cannot do any other thing but to love them. He loves them without cause or reason. His love is not conditional on them obeying Him or loving Him back. He would love anyone just because they are human.

Allah's love is something we do not deserve as human beings, but He gives it to us anyway. We do not have to do anything to earn it, we cannot be good enough to get it from Him, because we cannot be perfect like He is. It doesn't matter how bad we are or how good we are -- Allah will still love us in a perfect way that only He can do.

The highest commandment in the Bible is to love Allah with all our heart, mind, soul and strength. The whole basis for relating to Allah is to be based on love. He loves us, so we should return that love and attempt to love Him as best we can.

Allah is a personal God of relationship. Knowing Allah (not knowing ABOUT Him) is one of the primary goals of the Christian. We are to know Him in a personal way and relate to Him like we would a friend or a family member that we dearly love. The relationship with Allah is to be a heart relationship of intimacy and depth, not just a head knowledge of what He is supposed to be like.

Getting back to the description of Paradise, Allah and a relationship with Him is the center of the Biblical description of Heaven. The whole reason a Christian wants to go to Heaven is so that he or she can be with Allah and see Him face to face. When a Christian dies, we sometimes say that he or she has gone to be with the Lord.

The primary pleasure in Heaven will be being in Allah's immediate presence. There will be no sun there, nor will there ever be night, because the light of Allah will light all of Heaven at all times. There will be no crying there because Allah will personally wipe every tear away. We will spend the rest of forever doing nothing but worshipping Allah as He sits on His throne. In our minds, the idea of spending eternity away from Allah is the ultimate essence of Hell.

Allah being a personal God who wants a relationship with His creation is one of my favorite themes that runs through out the whole Bible. In the Bible it says that in the Garden of Eden, Allah would walk with Adam and Eve in the cool of the day (sorry -- I cannot remember the Qur'anic name for the first two human beings!). When they sinned, He came looking for them.

The Bible also says that the prophet Enoch (pbuh -- I don't think this prophet is mentioned in the Qur'an) did not die. He walked with Allah and had such a close relationship with Allah that Allah took him straight to Heaven without dying.

The Bible says that Prophet Musa (pbuh) spoke to Allah like a man speaks with a friend. He asked Allah if he could see Allah's face, but Allah told him that no one can see Allah and not die. But since Musa (pbuh) insisted, Allah put him in a crack in a cliff and covered it as He passed by so that Musa (pbuh) would not die. Then Allah uncovered Musa (pbuh) and allowed him to see His back side as He passed by. When Musa (pbuh) wrote down the Tawrat, it was directly given to him from Allah, not an angel. In fact, all of the prophets who wrote the parts of the Bible such as the Zabur and Injil received their revelations directly from Allah and not from Jibrail or any other angel.

Numerous times in the Bible Prophet Ibrahim (pbuh) is called "the friend of Allah." I especially like this, because most Christians see Allah as their best friend, but most don't realize that they also need to be a friend to Allah. Ibrahim (pbuh), however, was so close to Allah that Allah Himself said that Ibrahim (pbuh) was His friend.

The whole Zabur is Prophet Dawood (pbuh) telling his feelings from the depth of his heart, and much of it is talking about how he relates to Allah and how Allah relates back to him. The Bible says that Dawood (pbuh) was "a man after Allah's own heart," and so was someone who knew Allah so well that he thought and felt about things the same way Allah does.

When Prophet Sulayman (pbuh) built a temple to worship Allah in, Allah came down from Heaven in a cloud, and the cloud covered the temple. I have personally seen this kind of a thing, too. I went to a church in New York city when I lived near there. One time I got to church late, and everything was smoky inside. You couldn't see across the room very well because it was so hazy.

Also, according to the Bible, the way Sulayman (pbuh) got his wisdom was because Allah personally appeared to him and asked him to request anything he wanted. When Sulayman (pbuh) asked for wisdom, Allah told him that because he had asked for that and not riches and fame, that Allah would also give him the other good things he had not asked for.

There are many, many other instances of Allah speaking directly to people in the Bible and of people who had personal relationships with Allah, but I would again have to mention so much of the Bible to do it that it would take me too long to finish this and you'd never have it as you do now!

However, the Bible also says that Allah does not show favoritism to anyone, and that Allah is unchanging. The prophets had Allah speak to them directly, but in my opinion this is not something just limited to the prophets in the Bible.

Many times people in the Bible are compared with sheep, and Allah is referred to as a shepherd, and in the Bible Allah says, "My sheep hear my voice." So, any Christian who is willing to listen has the ability to learn how to hear from Allah. Not all Christians realize this, so if you ask them they may not say this is so, but then that is because they don't really know what the Bible says about this.

One time someone asked me to take something to somebody else for them. I didn't know the person or where they lived, but had been given an address. When I got to the address, it was a big apartment complex with maybe 50 apartments, and I had not been given an apartment number. So, I went to the manager's apartment, hoping the manager knew which apartment they lived in. However, the manager was not home. So, I started to go back to tell my friend I couldn't find the place. I was going to go straight, but stopped and asked Allah what I should do. I heard something in my mind say, "Go left," so I went left. Then while walking in front of an apartment door, the same voice in my mind said, "Go to this door." When I got to the door, I saw the name of the person I was looking for on the mail box.

Something similar happened to a friend of mine once. She needed a place to live, but had been unable to find a place. She had to move out of the place where she lived the next day. She was on a street she didn't know, and Allah told her to stop and knock at the door of one of the houses. When the person came to the door she said, "I'm looking for a place to live. Do you know anyone who is looking for a roommate?" The person said, "Yes, the house across the street has some people who are looking for someone to move in." She went and knocked on the door across the street, and there were three people living there who were looking for another Christian who was serious about her religion to come move in with them. She was able to move in the next day.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Okay. With respect to your question I shall try to respond. The Bahai's can correct me.

1. Bahai's do not say that Bahaullah is a greater manifestation than Moses, Muhammed and the "Christian Messiah".
2. Their theology can be called "supersessionism". Your source Sky has misunderstood that.
3. He also says that in the "Mother Religion" of Islam, Muhammed is superior and so on. Well, according to the Quran all the prophets are the same and humans are not supposed to make any distinction. He has not understood deeply.
4. In the Bahai faith the Mother religion is not Islam. Islam is just one. Each was a "Thawzeeu". A dispensation.
5. About Jesus's virgin birth matter there is nothing concrete but it seems like Abdul Baha stating Jesus was conceived of the "Spirit" of the God without making him a biological son of Mary's husband alludes to the virgin birth, though indirectly.
6. Zoroaster was monotheistic, not a polytheist. Your source probably thought that Angra Myanhu is another God that many have thought but its not true. This dualism has to be understood.
7. The Hindu scripture says "Na thasya prathima Asthi", and "Ikkam Ividithjam" thus your source saying Krishna was a polytheist has not understood the idea deeply.

Im sorry mate. Such a small and tiny piece of work you had cited here but it has some grave errors. And please correct me if I got anything wrong.

Peace.
I do not think you got anything wrong about Baha'i beliefs.
Thanks for correcting all of that. :)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Thank you for that.

And Isaiah 9? Does that also quote or prophecy Bahaullah? What did they say about Isaiah 9?
Isaiah 9:6-7 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.

Baha’u’llah was the Prince of Peace because world peace will be established during His religious dispensation. Baha’u’llah set up a system of government and it has already been established among the Baha’is. The institutions of that government are fully operational, but still in their infancy. They will be more developed in the future as the prophecy says (increase in government).

Baha'u'llah claimed to bring the Most Great Law and sit upon the throne of David:

“THE Most Great Law is come, and the Ancient Beauty ruleth upon the throne of David. Thus hath My Pen spoken that which the histories of bygone ages have related. At this time, however, David crieth aloud and saith: ‘O my loving Lord! Do Thou number me with such as have stood steadfast in Thy Cause, O Thou through Whom the faces have been illumined, and the footsteps have slipped!’” Proclamation of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 89-90

Isaiah 9:6-7 cannot refer to Jesus because Jesus disclaimed being the Mighty God when He called Himself “the Son of God” (John 5:18-47) and in those verses Jesus repudiates the charge that He claimed equality with God. Jesus disclaimed being the everlasting Father when He said, “my Father is greater than I” (John 14:28) and Jesus disclaimed being the Prince of Peace when He said, “I came not to send peace, but a sword” (Matthew 10:34). Jesus disclaimed bearing the government upon His shoulder when He said to “rend onto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's” (Mark 12:17, Matthew 22:21). Jesus disclaimed that He would establish a kingdom where he would rule with judgment and justice forever when He said, “My kingdom is not of this world” (John 18:36).

firedragon

Veteran Member
Isaiah 9:6-7 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.

Baha’u’llah was the Prince of Peace because world peace will be established during His religious dispensation. Baha’u’llah set up a system of government and it has already been established among the Baha’is. The institutions of that government are fully operational, but still in their infancy. They will be more developed in the future as the prophecy says (increase in government).

Baha'u'llah claimed to bring the Most Great Law and sit upon the throne of David:

“THE Most Great Law is come, and the Ancient Beauty ruleth upon the throne of David. Thus hath My Pen spoken that which the histories of bygone ages have related. At this time, however, David crieth aloud and saith: ‘O my loving Lord! Do Thou number me with such as have stood steadfast in Thy Cause, O Thou through Whom the faces have been illumined, and the footsteps have slipped!’” Proclamation of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 89-90

Isaiah 9:6-7 cannot refer to Jesus because Jesus disclaimed being the Mighty God when He called Himself “the Son of God” (John 5:18-47) and in those verses Jesus repudiates the charge that He claimed equality with God. Jesus disclaimed being the everlasting Father when He said, “my Father is greater than I” (John 14:28) and Jesus disclaimed being the Prince of Peace when He said, “I came not to send peace, but a sword” (Matthew 10:34). Jesus disclaimed bearing the government upon His shoulder when He said to “rend onto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's” (Mark 12:17, Matthew 22:21). Jesus disclaimed that He would establish a kingdom where he would rule with judgment and justice forever when He said, “My kingdom is not of this world” (John 18:36).

Mind my ignorance, which scripture does Bahaullah (or anyone else) state that Isaiah 9:6 prophecy?

firedragon

Veteran Member
The Quran says that Mary is part of the Trinity.

Nope. Thats a lie created by pseudo scholars/evangelists. I see that your sources are shallow surfing.

See SW, you should not make such claims about a book you have never read or studied. You should correct yourself.

If you mean the Quran saying "dont call me ilah" means its part of the trinity, then there are other verses in the Quran that says "do not call money God", and children, and also your own ego.

So in that case all of these God, children, ego, money, priests as mentioned in the Quran should all be part of the trinity.

The one who told you this is ignorant.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Mind my ignorance, which scripture does Bahaullah (or anyone else) state that Isaiah 9:6 prophecy?
I do not know that the prophecy is cited but Shoghi Effendi alludes to the various titles of Baha'u'llah contained in the prophecy in God Passes By, pp. 89-103.

The titles start on page 94 and go through page 96. Below is an excerpt that refers to the titles in Isaiah 9:6:

"To Him Isaiah, the greatest of the Jewish prophets, had alluded as the “Glory of the Lord,” the “Everlasting Father,” the “Prince of Peace,” the “Wonderful,” the “Counsellor,” the “Rod come forth out of the stem of Jesse” and the “Branch grown out of His roots,” Who “shall be established upon the throne of David,” Who “will come with strong hand,” Who “shall judge among the nations,” Who “shall smite the earth with the rod of His mouth, and with the breath of His lips slay the wicked,” and Who “shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth.”

firedragon

Veteran Member
I do not know that the prophecy is cited but Shoghi Effendi alludes to the various titles of Baha'u'llah contained in the prophecy in God Passes By, pp. 89-103.

The titles start on page 94 and go through page 96. Below is an excerpt that refers to the titles in Isaiah 9:6:

"To Him Isaiah, the greatest of the Jewish prophets, had alluded as the “Glory of the Lord,” the “Everlasting Father,” the “Prince of Peace,” the “Wonderful,” the “Counsellor,” the “Rod come forth out of the stem of Jesse” and the “Branch grown out of His roots,” Who “shall be established upon the throne of David,” Who “will come with strong hand,” Who “shall judge among the nations,” Who “shall smite the earth with the rod of His mouth, and with the breath of His lips slay the wicked,” and Who “shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth.”

Okay. Lol, again, I have not read this. I have it, but not read it yet. So you should know old age has made me so lazy I have not read a book lying in by drive though I visit the folder everyday.

But thanks for the exact reference. I will read through. Now I seem to understand how the prophecies have come about and how they are spoken of so I probably will have a better method of doing the research.

Did Mr. Effendi write it in English or is there another original language? Just asking.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Okay. Lol, again, I have not read this. I have it, but not read it yet. So you should know old age has made me so lazy I have not read a book lying in by drive though I visit the folder everyday.

But thanks for the exact reference. I will read through. Now I seem to understand how the prophecies have come about and how they are spoken of so I probably will have a better method of doing the research.

Did Mr. Effendi write it in English or is there another original language? Just asking.
Don't feel bad about being lazy. ;) I hardly ever read books anymore. The only way I get any reading in is when people ask me questions in forums and I have to look up the answers in the Baha'i Reference Library. I have not even read much of God Passes By yet, but then I was a recalcitrant Baha'i for most of my years and since then I have been too busy on forums.

Shoghi Effendi wrote in English and he had quite a command of the English language.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Don't feel bad about being lazy. ;) I hardly ever read books anymore. The only way I get any reading in is when people ask me questions in forums and I have to look up the answers in the Baha'i Reference Library. I have not even read much of God Passes By yet, but then I was a recalcitrant Baha'i for most of my years and since then I have been too busy on forums.

Shoghi Effendi wrote in English and he had quite a command of the English language.

recalcitrant. What a word. I just learned it from you.

The reason I keep saying that I must read is that I feel its absolutely unfair to criticise a theology without reading. When I say criticise I mean it in an academic manner, not to say bad things about a theology or scripture. I mean criticise as analyse, good or bad or whatever outcome may come.

Haha. And I am lazy. Absolutely. Thanks sis. Appreciate it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
recalcitrant. What a word. I just learned it from you.

The reason I keep saying that I must read is that I feel its absolutely unfair to criticise a theology without reading. When I say criticise I mean it in an academic manner, not to say bad things about a theology or scripture. I mean criticise as analyse, good or bad or whatever outcome may come.

Haha. And I am lazy. Absolutely. Thanks sis. Appreciate it.
recalcitrant: having an obstinately uncooperative attitude toward authority or discipline.

On second thought, that was not the right word to describe what I was, but at least you learned a new word. :D
Actually, I have a very cooperative attitude toward authority and discipline.

What really happened is that during all those years, I was going through many trials and busy in college so I lost interest in the faith, but my belief in Baha'u'llah never faltered, and that is why I am still a Baha'i.
I am still going through many trials :( but I am trying to be a Baha'i anyway.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Rev 11:3 And I will appoint my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for 1,260 days, clothed in sackcloth.”
4 They are “the two olive trees” and the two lampstands, and “they stand before the Lord of the earth.”
5 If anyone tries to harm them, fire comes from their mouths and devours their enemies. This is how anyone who wants to harm them must die.
6 They have power to shut up the heavens so that it will not rain during the time they are prophesying; and they have power to turn the waters into blood and to strike the earth with every kind of plague as often as they want.
7 Now when they have finished their testimony, the beast that comes up from the Abyss will attack them, and overpower and kill them.
8 Their bodies will lie in the public square of the great city—which is figuratively called Sodom and Egypt—where also their Lord was crucified.
9 For three and a half days some from every people, tribe, language and nation will gaze on their bodies and refuse them burial.
10 The inhabitants of the earth will gloat over them and will celebrate by sending each other gifts, because these two prophets had tormented those who live on the earth.
11 But after the three and a half days the breath of life from God entered them, and they stood on their feet, and terror struck those who saw them.
12 Then they heard a loud voice from heaven saying to them, “Come up here.” And they went up to heaven in a cloud, while their enemies looked on.
13 At that very hour there was a severe earthquake and a tenth of the city collapsed. Seven thousand people were killed in the earthquake, and the survivors were terrified and gave glory to the God of heaven.
14 The second woe has passed; the third woe is coming soon.​
So they prophecy for 1260 days. Then a beast kills them. Who is this beast? Their bodies lie in the street for 3 1/2 days in the city where their Lord was crucified. Who is their Lord and where was he crucified? After the 3 1/2 days they come back to life. An earthquake happens at that very hour and 7000 people die. The second woe has passed.

It sounds like this is describing events that happen during the second woe, not the first. The 1260 days that they do their prophesying are made into years. But then after they prophecy they are killed? Then the 3 1/2 days are also converted into 1260 years? So they prophecy for 1260 years, while at the same time they are dead for 1260 years? It is so easy to say that this is a prophecy about Muhammad and Ali, but it's hard to show it. Besides, why are three "Woes" made into manifestations? Only in the minds of Baha'is. Is there anywhere else that Baha'is make "Woes" a manifestation? I certainly have never heard any Baha'i claim such a thing. So why these three "Woes"?

As you are now aware, Abdul'baha has described this in detail.

An extract,

"........“And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and three-score days, clothed in sackcloth.”By these two witnesses are intended Muḥammad the Messenger of God and ‘Alí the son of Abú Ṭálib. In the Qur’án it is said that God addressed Muḥammad, saying, “We made Thee a witness, a herald, and a warner”; that is, We have established Thee as one Who bears witness, Who imparts the glad-tidings of that which is to come, and Who warns of the wrath of God. A “witness” means one by whose affirmation matters are ascertained. The commandments of these two witnesses were to be followed for 1,260 days, each day corresponding to a year. Now, Muḥammad was the root and ‘Alí the branch, like Moses and Joshua. It is said they were “clothed in sackcloth”, meaning that they appeared to wear not a new raiment but an old one. In other words, they would initially appear to be of no consequence in the eyes of other peoples and their Cause would not seem new. For the spiritual principles of the religion of Muḥammad correspond to those of Christ in the Gospel, and His material commandments correspond for the most part to those of the Torah. This is the symbolism of the old raiment....."

Regards Tony

Skywalker

What? Which verse?

Paul saw the risen Christ, and he was a persecutor of Christians.

Wasn't the New Testament written hundreds of years after Christ?
bible3.jpg
by Matt Slick
11/22/08

Though some say that the New Testament was written 100-300 years after Christ died, the truth is that it was written before the close of the first century by those who either knew Christ personally, had encountered him, or were under the direction of those who were His disciples.

In the article When were the gospels written and by whom?, I demonstrated that Matthew, Mark, and Luke were all written before 70 A.D. Basically, the book of Acts was written by Luke. But Luke fails to mention the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D., nor does he mention the deaths of James (A.D. 62), Paul (A.D. 64), and Peter (A.D. 65). Since Acts is a historical document dealing with the church, we would naturally expect such important events to be recorded if Acts was written after the fact. Since Acts 1:1-2 mentions that it is the second writing of Luke, the gospel of Luke was written even earlier. Also, Jesus prophesied the destruction of the temple in the Gospels: "As for these things which you are looking at, the days will come in which there will not be left one stone upon another which will not be torn down," (Luke 21:6, see also Matt. 24:2; Mark 13:2). Undoubtedly, if Matthew, Mark, and Luke were written after the destruction of the Temple, they would have included the fulfillment of Christ's prophecy in them. Since they don't, it is very strong indication that they were written before 70 A.D.

The gospel of John is supposed to have been written by John the apostle. It is written from the perspective of an eyewitness to the events of Christ's life. The John Rylands papyrus fragment 52 of John's gospel dated in the year 135 contains portions of John 18:31-33, 37-38. This fragment was found in Egypt and a considerable amount of time is needed for the circulation of the gospel before it reached Egypt. It is the last of the gospels and appears to have been written in the 80's to 90's.

Of important note is the lack of mention of the destruction of the Jewish temple in 70 A.D. But this is understandable since John does not mention Jesus' prophecy of the destruction of the Temple. He was not focusing on historical events. Instead, he focused on the theological aspect of the person of Christ and listed His miracles and words that affirmed Christ's deity. This makes perfect sense since he already knew of the previously written gospels.

Furthermore, 1, 2, and 3 John all contain the same writing style as the gospel of John and the book of Revelation which is supposed to have been written in the late 80's or early 90's.

Paul's Writings ~ Romans, 1 & 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 & 2 Thessalonians, 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon
Paul the Apostle was a convert to Christianity. The book of Acts speaks of his conversion in Acts 9. Since Acts was written before 70 A.D. and Paul wrote the Pauline Epistles and we know that Paul died in 64 A.D., the Pauline Epistles were all written before that date. Furthermore, in 1 Cor. 15:3-4 is an early creed of the Christian church where Paul mentions that Jesus had died and risen. "For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures," (1 Cor. 15:3-4). Notice that he says he received this information. From whom did he receive it? Most probably the apostles since he had a lot of interaction with them. This means that Paul received the gospel account from the eyewitnesses. They were, of course, contemporaries; they all died before the turn of the century. Therefore, their writings were completed within the lifetime of the apostles of Jesus.

Hebrews
It is not known for sure who wrote the book of Hebrews. Authorship has been proposed for Paul, Barnabas (Acts 4:36), Apollos (Acts 18:24), etc. The only geographical area mentioned is Italy (Heb. 13:24). The latest possible date for the writing of Hebrews is A.D. 95 but could have been written as early as A.D. 67. The book of Hebrews speaks of the sacrifice by the High Priest in the present tense (Heb. 5:1-3; Heb. 7:27) possibly signifying that the destruction of the Jerusalem Temple in 70 A.D. had not yet happened.

James
This Epistle claims to have been written by James, "James, a bond-servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes who are dispersed abroad, greetings," (James 1:1). The question is, "Which James?" Is it James, the son of Zebedee (Matt. 10:2-3); James, the son of Alphaeus (Matt. 10:2-3), or (the most commonly accepted) James who was the brother of Jesus? "Is not this the carpenter’s son? Is not His mother called Mary, and His brothers, James and Joseph and Simon and Judas? And His sisters, are they not all with us?" (Matt. 13:55,56). Notice that the context of the verses suggest immediate family since it mentions Jesus' Mother, brothers, and sisters. Also, see Gal. 1:18,19 which says "Then three years later I went up to Jerusalem to become acquainted with Cephas and stayed with him fifteen days. But I did not see any other of the apostles except James, the Lord’s brother." It is probable that James didn't believe in Jesus as the Messiah until Jesus appeared to him after His resurrection as is mentioned in 1 Cor. 15:7, "then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles."

James was martyred by the order of the high priest Ananus after the death of the "procurator Festus in A.D. 61 (Josephus, Ant. 20. 9)." Therefore, the epistle of James was written before A.D. 61.1

1 and 2 Peter
Both epistles clearly state that they were authored by Peter, an eyewitness of Jesus' life and post-resurrection appearances. Though there have been some who have doubted the authorship of these two epistles, the clear opening statements of each epistle tell us Peter was the author. "Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who reside as aliens, scattered throughout Pontus...", (1 Pet. 1:1) and "Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours..." (2 Pet. 1:1). It certainly seems most logical that Peter is indeed the author of the letters that bear his name.

Peter died in Rome during Nero's persecution of Christians around 64 AD, so the epistles were obviously written before that time.

1, 2, 3 John
The writer of 1 John does not identify himself in the letter. The writer of 2 and 3 John refers to himself as "the elder," (2 John 1; 3 John 1). Regarding the first epistle, authorship can reasonably be determined to be that of John the Apostle. The opening of John is written from the perspective of someone who was there with Jesus (John 1:1-4). Also, "Eusebius (Ecclesiastical History, 3.39) says of Papias, a hearer of John, and a friend of Polycarp, 'He used testimonies from the First Epistle of John. Irenaeus, according to Eusebius (Ecclesiastical History, 5.8), often quoted this Epistle. So in his work Against Heresies (3.15; 5, 8) he quotes from John by name, 1 John 2:18... Clement of Alexandria (Miscellanies, 2.66, p. 464) refers to 1 Jn 5:16, as in John’s larger Epistle.'"2 "In the earliest canonical lists, dating from the end of the second century, 1 John already appears. Indeed, 1 John is quoted as authoritative by Bishop Polycarp of Smyrna [a disciple of John the apostle] before the middle of the second century. The attestation of 2 John is almost as good. There is no second-century reference to 3 John, but that is not surprising since it deals with a specific, local issue."3 Furthermore, the style of the three epistles is very similar to that of the gospel of John. 1 John mentions the "word of life" (1 John 1:1) as does the Gospel of John 1:1, etc.

It appears that the epistles were written after the Gospel of John since the epistles seem to assume a knowledge of the gospel facts.

Date of writing varies from A.D. 60 to the early 90's.4

Jude
Jude identifies himself as the brother of James (Jude 1). It is most likely that Jude, in true Christian humility, does not want to equate himself as the brother of Jesus as he is traditionally held to be and seems to be supported by scripture: "Is not this the carpenter’s son? Is not His mother called Mary, and His brothers, James and Joseph and Simon and Judas?" (Matt. 13:55).

firedragon

Veteran Member
I meant Paul witnessed the ressurected Jesus. The article I posted has to do with the credibility of the Apostle Paul.

Your article is refuting some one who believes Pauls letters or the Bible NT was written 100 to 300 years after Jesus. Well, if there is such uneducated people who believe like that, its not relevant to me mate.

You see brother. This is called a strawman argument. Dont just cut and paste any article that you find on the internet. I have not met anyone who believes the NT was as a whole written 100 to 300 years after Jesus, and to refute something no one says is an absurd strawman attempt.

Maybe the author didnt have another topic so he picked a strawman.

Edit: Mind you Skywalker, you should pick another primary source because whoever wrote that article is not upto date on Biblical scholarship. Not good enough.

Skywalker

Your article is refuting some one who believes Pauls letters or the Bible NT was written 100 to 300 years after Jesus. Well, if there is such uneducated people who believe like that, its not relevant to me mate.

You see brother. This is called a strawman argument. Dont just cut and paste any article that you find on the internet. I have not met anyone who believes the NT was as a whole written 100 to 300 years after Jesus, and to refute something no one says is an absurd strawman attempt.

Maybe the author didnt have another topic so he picked a strawman.

Edit: Mind you Skywalker, you should pick another primary source because whoever wrote that article is not upto date on Biblical scholarship. Not good enough.

The apostles who lived with Jesus wrote the gospels. There were strict laws about writing history with accurate details in those days.