• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical names and history

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The issue that researchers are looking at is when various parts of the Bible were written. Personally I find the intersection between verifiable history and scriptures to be interesting.

Names Reveal What’s History and What’s Myth in the Bible, Researcher Says

Study of naming traditions shows First Temple-period biblical authors knew a lot about what was going on in Judah, but were less informed on the neighboring kingdom of Israel
The idea is to compare names used in the biblical narrative to those found in inscriptions unearthed in digs across the Levant, explains Mitka Golub, an archaeologist from the Hebrew University in Jerusalem.

If the names in a particular biblical book match up in style and popularity with those that were actually used during the period in which a narrative is set, based on archaeological findings – then we can be reassured that the story was put in writing close in time to when it supposedly happened, or at least the author had clear and direct sources about the events.
Her study focuses on theophoric names, that is, names that include a reference to a tutelary deity, which were commonly used across the Levant at the time and can reveal much about the religious beliefs and identity of their bearers.
Many theophoric names from the First Temple period such as Josiah, Isaiah or Hezekiah are considered Yahwistic, because the suffix IAH (or YAH) references the name of YHWH, the principal deity of the ancient Israelites and sole god worshipped by today’s Jews.

But back in that time, as archaeology has already shown, the Israelites were not yet strictly monotheistic, and still believed in the existence of other deities. This is reflected in theophoric names that appear in inscriptions from the period, which often include references to Canaanite divinities such as Baal or El.
Golub’s key finding is that there is a stark difference between the historical accuracy of Judahite and Israelite names in the Bible. While the Judahite names are in keeping with those used at the time in Jerusalem and its surroundings, the same cannot be said about the northern Israelite names.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
"Today however most scholars place the early stories in the Bible, from Genesis and Exodus to Joshua and Judges, solidly in the camp of religious myth, though as many myths do, these narratives may contain distant echoes of historical memories."​

"Most scholars"? Doubtful. I'd wager most of the Biblical minimalist camp, but not most of all scholars.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
"Today however most scholars place the early stories in the Bible, from Genesis and Exodus to Joshua and Judges, solidly in the camp of religious myth, though as many myths do, these narratives may contain distant echoes of historical memories."​

"Most scholars"? Doubtful. I'd wager most of the Biblical minimalist camp, but not most of all scholars.
Some links to other scholars who disagree based on the evidence would be useful.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
That's helpful.

these narratives may contain distant echoes of historical memories."

I emphasize this more than you did. My wife and I sometimes disagree on what exactly happened 20 years ago. Given the difference in our memories, calling them 'myth' seems reasonable but the key point is "echoes of historical memories".

I'm reminded of the crossing of the "Red Sea" which is now thought by a number to be the Sea of Reeds Yam Suph - Wikipedia Does it really matter if Moses crossed the Sea of Reeds and not the Red Sea?

And the end of the article is to me illuminating as well:

While these fairly close percentages don’t tell us how much of Jeremiah’s narrative is true, they do suggest that his story must have been written close to his purported lifetime by someone who was intimately familiar with the names and traditions of Judah at the end of the First Temple period.

The quantitative analysis of biblical names and their comparison to the archaeological record is indeed a sophisticated new tool for dating the composition of biblical texts, says Prof. Yosef Garfinkel, head of the Hebrew University’s Institute of Archaeology.

“If everything was written in the Hellenistic period no one would know what were the names of people hundreds of years earlier,” he notes.

Garfinkel, however, is one of the major supporters of the historicity of the United Monarchy under David and Solomon, so he is quick to add that the fact that the earliest biblical texts may have been written in the seventh century B.C.E., long after the split between Israel and Judah, and the former’s demise, does not mean that the Bible does not contain earlier memories.

“Clearly the biblical authors had much more intimate knowledge of Judah’s history, so maybe when the Bible was composed Israel was already a deserted entity,” he says. “That doesn’t mean they didn’t have quite a lot of information about what happened in the 10th or the ninth century B.C.E. in both areas.”

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Fact of human life....today is a multi human owned, practiced religious belief of multi denominational themes.

History does not exist....it was owned and lived where it was lived.

Today science owns new humans, new thoughts, new inventions, new reactions and new technology.

Yet when they think, science says historically I take my own mind psyche back into the past….and then says it is in out of space...history and the past.

So a human knowingly would ask that science/religious creationist liar....okay so in the past every living bio life form is deceased, historically isn't it?

Yes he would claim...exactly correct.

So if you say science is looking direct into out of space as a historic research for science, then as history for a bio life Nature history....we are all deceased?

Yes...so spatial relativity is to give us all today not in any history, death!

What spiritual self teaching was taught for....relativity of God O the Earth being stone. The Creator entity of ownings its own heavenly gases, which historically were always burning.....and not make any other claim.....as a science themed history.

For it is natural history that you are meant to quote in science to tell self not to invent the death of all life on Earth.....what religious practice was introduced for in an agreement that Christ Revelations of why life got attacked was accepted by all of those other science/creation thesis.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
"echoes of historical memories".
I think there's a difference between saying that something's a distant echo of historical memory - meaning, it's not history - it's a distant echo based on someone's probably personal (/biased) view of a certain event - and saying that someone had intimate knowledge of the actual events.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I think there's a difference between saying that something's a distant echo of historical memory - meaning, it's not history - it's a distant echo based on someone's probably personal (/biased) view of a certain event - and saying that someone had intimate knowledge of the actual events.
I agree. I think a decent if imperfect analogy is archeology to history. Both are about something real but archeology examines evidence left behind while history is about something (hopefully) known in detail.