• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical Contradictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

linwood

Ok, let me state my position here, I believe that the Bible as written was the word of God, however I also believe that there have been clerical errors over the years. If there were no clerical errors it would be a miracle of unthinkable porportions.

Thats the point though isn`t it?
The vast majority of Christians I run across vehemently deny even the possibilty of ANY error for ANY reason
If it can contain even one error such as the possible mis-documentation of the Potters field purchase then logically it can contain more and perhaps many that from our historical point of view can never be noticed.
It`s kind of funny that it was a contradiction that might have shown an actual error concerning Potters field.
Perhaps other errors have no parallel contradiction to make them noticable.

It just doesn`t strike me as a particularly reliable source to lay the foundations of ones spirituality.
No more than say...Green Eggs & Ham.
I know there are no contradictions in Green Eggs & Ham!!
The moral is even better...."Don`t knock it `til you try it"!
Can`t beat that.

:)

biblical scholars spend years researching these things and you want it done in 10 mins

I for one couldn`t care less if you answered another single post or not Mr.Emu.
You`d lose no respect from me.

Mister Emu said:
I know that some of you beleive there are contradictions in the Bible, I would like for you to post them here.
Christ ascended from Mount Olivet Acts 1:9,12
Christ ascended from Bethany Luke 24:50,51

Paul's attendants heard the miraculous voice, and stood speechless Acts 9:7
Paul's attendants heard not the voice and were prostrate Acts 26:14

Abraham departed to go into Canaan Gen 12:5
Abraham went not knowing where Heb 11:8

Abraham had two sons Gal 4:22
Abraham had but one son Heb 11:17

Keturah was Abraham's wife Gen 25:1
Keturah was Abraham's concubine 1 Chron
1:32

Abraham begat a son when he was a hundred years old, by the
interposition of Providence Gen 21:2/ Rom 4:19/ Heb 11:12
Abraham begat six children more after he was a hundred years
old without any interposition of providence Gen 25:1,2

Jacob bought a sepulchre from Hamor Josh 24:32
Abraham bought it of Hamor Acts 7:16

God promised the land of Canaan to Abraham and his seed forever
Gen 13:14,15,17; 17:8
Abraham and his seed never received the promised land
Acts 7:5/ Heb 11:9,13

Goliath was slain by Elhanan 2 Sam 21:19 [note, was changed in translation

to be correct. Original manuscript was incorrect]

The brother of Goliath was slain by Elhanan 1 Chron 20:5

Ahaziah began to reign in the twelfth year of Joram 2 Kings 8:25
Ahaziah began to reign in the eleventh year of Joram 2 Kings 9:29

Michal had no child 2 Sam 6:23
Michal had five children 2 Sam 21:8

David was tempted by the Lord to number Israel 2 Sam 24:1
David was tempted by Satan to number the people 1 Chron 21:1

The number of fighting men of Israel was 800,000; and of Judah 500,000
2 Sam 24:9
The number of fighting men of Israel was 1,100,000; and of Judah
1 Chron 21:5

David sinned in numbering the people 2 Sam 24:10
David never sinned, except in the matter of Uriah 1 Kings 15:5

One of the penalties of David's sin was seven years of famine. 2 Sam 24:13
It was not seven years, but three years of famine 1 Chron
21:11,12

David took seven hundred horsemen 2 Sam 8:4
David took seven thousand horsemen 1 Chron 18:4

David bought a threshing floor for fifty shekels of silver 2 Sam 24:24
David bought the threshing floor for six hundred shekels of gold 1 Chron 21:25

David's throne was to endure forever. Ps 89:35-37
David's throne was cast down Ps 89:44

Christ is equal with God John 10:30/ Phil 2:5
Christ is not equal with God John 14:28/ Matt 24:36

Jesus was all-powerful Matt 28:18/ John 3:35
Jesus was not all powerful Mark 6:5

The law was superseded by the Christian dispensation
Luke 16:16/ Eph 2:15/ Rom 7:6
The law was not superseded by the Christian dispensation
Matt 5:17-19

Christ's mission was peace Luke 2:13,14
Christ's mission was not peace Matt 10:34

Christ received not testimony from man John 5:33,34
Christ did receive testimony from man John 15:27

Christ's witness of himself is true. John 8:18,14
Christ's witness of himself is not true. John 5:31

Christ laid down his life for his friends John 15:13/ John 10:11
Christ laid down his life for his enemies Rom 5:10

It was lawful for the Jews to put Christ to death John 19:7
It was not lawful for the Jews to put Christ to death John
18:31

Children are punished for the sins of the parents Ex 20:5
Children are not punished for the sins of the parents Ezek
18:20

Man is justified by faith alone Rom 3:20/ Gal 2:16/ Gal 3:11,12/ Rom 4:2
Man is not justified by faith alone James 2:21,24/ Rom 2:13

It is impossible to fall from grace John 10:28/ Rom 8:38,39
It is possible to fall from grace Ezek 18:24/ Heb 6:4-6, 2 Pet 2:20,21

No man is without sin 1 Kings 8:46/ Prov 20:9/ Eccl 7:20/ Rom 3:10
Christians are sinless 1 John 3: 9,6,8

There is to be a resurrection of the dead

1 Cor 15:52/ Rev 20:12,13/ Luke 20:37/ 1 Cor 15:16
There is to be no resurrection of the dead Job 7:9/ Eccl 9:5/ Is 26:14

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Did you just ignore my last post Harold? I specifically said I already have too much to work with. Please do not post any more, as they will not be dealt with until I am done with what I alreday have.

Mister Emu said:
I know that some of you beleive there are contradictions in the Bible, I would like for you to post them here.
If you find a posted contradiction that you feel is true will you admit it?

Do you believe that Joshua stopped the Sun and the Moon in the sky for 24 hours?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
If I truly thought a contradiction were true, than yes I would admit it, I don't though(clerical errors aside), so you won't have tow orry about that.

I am sorry, what verse(s) are you reffering to?

Mister Emu said:
If I truly thought a contradiction were true, than yes I would admit it, I don't though(clerical errors aside), so you won't have tow orry about that.

I am sorry, what verse(s) are you reffering to?
Jos 10:12 Then spake Joshua to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the
Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon.

I use to be a literal fundamental Christian that believed that everything in the bible was the word of God without error. My eyes became open after seeing evidence in Museums all over the world that housed relics, scrolls, artifacts, hieroglyphics, and papyrus that proved that Christianity is a mimicked religion that is full of untruths. As I reread the bible with an opened mind I began to see hundreds of errors and contradictions. As long as you believe that there are none, you will never see them.

I use to be a literal fundamental Christian that believed that everything in the bible was the word of God without error. My eyes became open after seeing evidence in Museums all over the world that housed relics, scrolls, artifacts, hieroglyphics, and papyrus that proved that Christianity is a mimicked religion that is full of untruths. As I reread the bible with an opened mind I began to see hundreds of errors and contradictions. As long as you believe that there are none, you will never see them.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, I do believe Josh 10:12.

I am sorry that your eyes were closed to the truth Harold, and I will pray that the Holy Spirit opens your eyes, and that God comes once again into your life.

That some of the truths of the Bible were corrupted by other civilizations does not prove that we mimicked another religion.

On the other hand, some of the early Chrisitian practices we now perpetuate were created or changed to help smooth the conversions of the pagan people into the truth of Christ.

linwood

On the other hand, some of the early Chrisitian practices we now perpetuate were created or changed to help smooth the conversions of the pagan people into the truth of Christ.

You mean stolen don`t you?

The tale of Horus is a carbon copy of Christs life.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Mister Emu said:
That some of the truths of the Bible were corrupted by other civilizations does not prove that we mimicked another religion.
Then how on earth do you explain the various saints that have an uncanny resemblance to pagan gods and goddesses?

'Borrowing' from one religion or not, it's still mimicking.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Roman Catholicism
Christian or Pagan?
The Roman Catholic Church, headquartered in Rome, Italy, has its own powerful City-State, the Vatican, and claims over 968 million members worldwide and 60 million in the U.S. and Canada (as of 1996). (Catholic membership figures are considerably misleading, though, in that they count as members every person who has been baptized Catholic, including millions of people who were baptized as infants but who are not practicing Catholics.) The Roman Catholic Church, in its pagan form, unofficially came into being in 312 A.D., at the time of the so-called "miraculous conversion" to Christianity of the Roman Emperor Constantine. Although Christianity was not made the official religion of the Roman Empire until the edicts of Theodosius I in 380 and 381 A.D., Constantine, from 312 A.D. until his death in 337, was engaged in the process of simultaneously building pagan temples and Christian churches, and was slowly turning over the reigns of his pagan priesthood to the Bishop of Rome. However, the family of Constantine did not give up the last vestige of his priesthood until after the disintegration of the Roman Empire -- that being the title the emperors bore as heads of the pagan priesthood -- Pontifex Maximus -- a title which the popes would inherit. (The popes also inherited Constantine's titles as the self-appointed civil head of the church -- Vicar of Christ and Bishop of Bishops.) Have I seen the truth.

Prior to the time of Constantine's "conversion," Christians were persecuted not so much for their profession of faith in Christ, but because they would not include pagan deities in their faith as well. Then, with Constantine's emphasis on making his new-found Christianity palatable to the heathen in the Empire, the "Christianization" of these pagan deities was facilitated. For example, pagan rituals and idols gradually took on Christian meanings and names and were incorporated into "Christian" worship (e.g., "saints" replaced the cult of pagan gods in both worship and as patrons of cities; mother/son statues were renamed Mary and Jesus; many times), and pagan holidays were reclassified as Christian holy days (e.g., the Roman Lupercalia and the feast of purification of Isis became the Feast of the Nativity; the Saturnalia celebrations were replaced by Christmas celebrations; an ancient festival of the dead was replaced by All Souls Day, rededicated to Christian heroes [now Hallowe'en]; etc.). A transition had occurred -- instead of being persecuted for failure to worship pagan deities, Christians who did not agree with the particular orthodoxy backed by the Emperor were now persecuted in the name of Christ! "Christianized" Rome had become the legitimate successor of pagan Rome! This is the sad origin of the Roman Catholic Church.

Below are the highlights of what Catholics believe concerning their source of authority; God, Christ, and Mary; salvation and the sacraments; and heaven and hell. So much more could be said concerning not only the items listed below, but also concerning other areas of Catholic teaching (such as the claims of the Roman priesthood and its supposed origin in the Apostles; the nature of the pope's alleged infallibility and the supposed origin of his office in the Apostle Peter; the nature of the Confessional; the doctrine of penance/indulgences; practices concerning rituals, ceremonies, and relics; the doctrine of Celibacy; policies on marriage and divorce; the role of the parochial school; etc.). Excellent reference sources for a thorough treatment of Catholicism’s origins, beliefs, and practices would be Roman Catholicism (466 ppgs.) and A Woman Rides the Beast (544 ppgs.).

1. Source of Authority. With respect to the Bible, Catholics accept the apocryphal books in addition to the 66 books of the Protestant Bible. They also accept tradition and the teaching of the Catholic Church as authoritative and at least equal to that of the Bible (cf. Mk. 7:8,9,13; Matt. 15:3,6,9; Col. 2:8). With respect to papal infallibility, Catholics believe that ecumenical councils of bishops and the pope are immune from error when speaking ex cathedra about faith and morals (i.e., "from the chair" -- by sole virtue of position or the exercise of an office). (And by "infallible," Catholics mean much more than merely a simple, de facto absence of error -- it is positive perfection, ruling out the possibility of error. For more on infallibility, see notes on Vatican II below). In actuality, Roman Catholicism places itself above Scripture; i.e., it teaches that the Roman Catholic Church produced the Bible and that the pope is Christ's vicar on earth. Catholics also maintain the belief in sacerdotalism -- that an ordained Catholic priest has the power to forgive sins (cf. 1 Tim. 2:5).

2. Jesus Christ. Catholicism teaches that Christ is God, but they, nevertheless, do not believe that Christ's death paid the full penalty for sin; i.e., they believe that those who qualify for heaven must still spend time in purgatory to atone for sin (cf. Jn. 19: 30; Heb. 10:11,12).

3. Mary. The Catholic Church gives honor and adoration to Mary that the Scriptures do not; she is readily referred to as "holy," the "Mother of God," and has been dubbed the "Co-Redemptrix," thereby making her an object of idolatrous worship (e.g., the rosary has ten prayers to Mary for each two directed to God). In 1923, Pope Pius XI sanctioned Pope Benedict XV's (1914-1922) pronouncement that Mary suffered with Christ, and that with Him, she redeemed the human race. And Pope Pius XII officially designated Mary the "Queen of Heaven" and "Queen of the World." Catholics claim not only that Mary was perfectly sinless from conception, even as Jesus was (doctrine of Immaculate Conception, proclaimed by Pope Pius IX in 1854), but that the reason she never sinned at any time during her life was because she was unable to sin (cf. Lk. 1:46,47; Rom. 3:10,23; 5:12; Heb. 4:15; 1 Jn. 1:8,10). Catholics also believe that Mary was a perpetual virgin (cf. Ps. 69:8; Matt. 1:24,25; 13:54-56; Mk. 6:3; Jn. 7:5), and that she was assumed, body and soul, into heaven (doctrine of Assumption of Mary, declared ex cathedra by Pope Pius XII in November of 1950 -- that Mary was raised from the dead on the third day after her death, and anyone who refuses to believe this has committed a mortal sin). The consequence of all this veneration of Mary, in effect, establishes her authority above Christ's -- Rome says, "He came to us through Mary and we must go to Him through her." All this is so obviously idolatrous, one wonders why Catholics take offense when their religious affections are called cultic.

4. Salvation. Catholics teach that a person is saved through the Roman Catholic Church and its sacraments, especially through baptism; they do not believe that salvation can be obtained by grace through faith in Christ alone, but that baptism is essential for salvation. Catholics believe that no one outside the Catholic Church can be saved (Unum Sanctum) (cf. Jn. 5:24; Eph. 2: 8,9; Gal. 2:21; Rom. 3:22,23). (See also The Second Vatican Council's Decree on Ecumenism and the New Catholic Catechism (paras 819 and 846.) They also believe that one's own suffering can expiate the sin's of himself and of others, so that what Christ's suffering was not able to achieve, one can achieve by his own works and the works of others (Vatican II).

5. Sacraments. Catholics have seven sacraments: baptism, confirmation, Eucharist (mass), penance/reconciliation (indulgences), extreme unction (last rights), marriage, and orders (ordination). Although not even formally decreed until the Council of Florence in 1439, the Council of Trent later declared all to be anathema whom do not hold Rome's position that it was Christ Himself who instituted these seven sacraments! (The idea behind the sacraments is that the shedding of Christ's Blood in His death upon the cross is of no value unless it is somehow dispensed and applied "sacramentally" by the Catholic priesthood.) Although Catholics believe that the first five sacraments are indispensable for salvation (because without any one of them, a mortal sin has been committed), baptism is considered the most important. Catholics believe that a person enters into the spiritual life of the Church through baptism; i.e., baptismal regeneration -- that a person can be saved through baptism (actually, 'on the road to salvation,' because Catholics never know exactly when they are saved). They practice infant baptism because they believe baptism erases original sin (cf. Jn. 3:18).

6. The Mass. Unknown in the early church, the mass did not become an official doctrine until pronounced by the Lateran Council of 1215 under the direction of Pope Innocent III, and reaffirmed by the Council of Trent. The Church of Rome holds that the mass is a continuation of the sacrifice that Christ made on Calvary -- in effect a re-crucifixion of Christ over and over again in an unbloody manner (cf. Heb. 9:22; 1 Jn. 1:7). They believe that by this means Christ offers Himself again and again as a sacrifice for sin (cf. Heb. 7:27; 9:12,25,26; 10:10,12,14,18), and that this sacrifice is just as efficacious to take away sin as was the true sacrifice on Calvary. Catholics thus teach the doctrine of transubstantiation (meaning a change of substance) -- that the bread and wine (at communion) actually become (by the power of the priest!) the body and blood of Christ, which is then worshiped as God Himself! Indeed, the sacrifice of the mass is the central point of Catholic worship, as evidenced by the fact that those abstaining from attending mass are considered to have committed a mortal sin.

More to follow.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
7. Purgatory. Though of pagan origin, the doctrine of purgatory was first conceptualized in the professing church in the second century; the Roman Church proclaimed it as an article of faith in 1439 at the Council of Florence, and it was confirmed by Trent in 1548. The Catholic Church teaches that even those "who die in the state of grace" (i.e., saved and sins forgiven) must still spend an indefinite time being purged/purified (i.e., expiated of sins/cleansed for heaven). (Technically, this "purging" can occur in this life rather than in purgatory itself, but as a practical matter, purgatory is the best the average Catholic can hope for.) Some Catholics will admit that the doctrine of purgatory is not based on the Bible, but on Catholic tradition (which, by Catholic standards, is equally authoritative) (cf. Jn. 5:24; Lk. 23:43; 1 Jn. 1:7,9; Phil. 1:23). (Others teach that it is based upon the interpretation of several Scriptural texts -- 1 Cor. 3:15; 1 Pe. 1:7; 3:19; Matt. 12:31.) They teach that those in purgatory can be helped by the prayers and good works of those on earth (which would include the "purchase" of masses and/or other indulgences), but they are not certain how these prayers and works are applied (cf. 2 Pe. 1:9; Heb. 1:3; Jn. 3:18; 19:30; 2 Cor. 5:6-8).

8. The Church Councils. There have been three major Roman Catholic Councils: Council of Trent (1545-1563), Vatican I (1869-1870), and Vatican II (1962-1965). The last Council, Vatican II, offered no new doctrines nor repudiated any essential teaching of the Roman Church; it referred to Trent dozens and dozens of times, quoted Trent's proclamations as authority, and reaffirmed Trent on every hand. Even the New Catholic Catechism (1992/1994) cites Trent no less than 99 times! There is not the slightest hint that the proclamations of the Council of Trent have been abrogated by Rome. At the opening of the Second Vatican council, Pope John XXIII stated, "I do accept entirely all that has been decided and declared at the Council of Trent," and all of the Catholic leaders who attended Vatican II signed a document containing this statement. (The current pope, Pope John Paul II, has even cited the Council of Trent as authority for his blasphemous position on Mary.):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Council of Trent -- The Council of Trent was held in an attempt to destroy the progress of the Protestant Reformation; it approved many superstitious and unbiblical beliefs of the Middle Ages (all to be believed under the threat of "anathema"):

(a) Denied every doctrine of the Reformation, from Sola Scriptura to "salvation by grace through faith alone";

(b) Pronounced 125 anathemas (i.e., eternal damnation) upon anyone believing what evangelicals believe and preach today;

(c) Equal value and authority of tradition and Scripture (in actuality, tradition is held above Scripture);

(d) Scriptures for the priesthood only (prohibited to anyone in the laity without written permission from one's superior -- to violate this was [and still is in most "Catholic countries" today] considered a mortal sin);

(e) Seven sacraments;

(f) Communion by eating the bread only (not drinking the wine);

(g) Purgatory;

(h) Indulgences;

(i) The Mass as a propitiatory offering.

Vatican I

(a) Defined the infallibility of the pope;

(b) Confirmed Unum Sanctum (no salvation outside of the Catholic Church).

Vatican II -- made no new doctrines, nor did it change or repudiate any old ones; Trent and Vatican I stand as is (i.e., Vatican II verified and validated all the anathemas of Trent). Vatican II reaffirmed such Roman heresies as papal supremacy; the Roman priesthood; the mass as an unbloody sacrifice of Christ; a polluted sacramental gospel; Catholic tradition on equal par with Scripture; Mary as the Queen of Heaven and co-Redemptrix with Christ; auricular confession; Mariolatry; pilgrimages to "holy shrines"; purgatory; prayers to and for the dead; etc. (Although the restriction against laity reading the Scriptures has been removed, it is still a mortal sin for a Roman Catholic anywhere to read any Protestant version of the Bible. That the real attitude of the Vatican toward the Bible has not changed is shown by the fact that in 1957 the depot of the British and Foreign Bible Society in Madrid, Spain was closed and its stock of Bibles confiscated and burned.)

(a) Reaffirmed the infallibility of the pope (and even when he does not speak ex-cathedra, all Catholics must still give complete submission of mind and will to what he says);

(b) Divided Catholic doctrine into that which is essential core of theology, and must be received by faith, and that which is still an undefined body of theology which Catholics may question and debate without repudiating their essential Catholicism;

(c) Established 20 complex rules concerning when and how any indulgence may be obtained, and condemned "with anathema those who say that indulgences are useless or that the Church does not have the power to grant them ... [for] the task of winning salvation." [Back to Text]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Sampling of the Anathemas of Trent:
If any one shall deny that the body and blood together with the soul and divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ, and therefore entire Christ, are truly, really, and substantially contained in the sacrament of the most holy Eucharist; and shall say that He is only in it as a sign, or in a figure, or virtually -- let him be accursed (Canon 1).

If any one shall say that the substance of the bread and wine remains in the sacrament of the most holy Eucharist, together with the body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, and shall deny that wonderful and singular conversion of the whole substance of the bread into the body, and of the whole substance of the wine into the blood, the outward forms of the bread and wine still remaining, which conversion the Catholic Church most aptly calls transubstantiation -- let him be accursed (Canon 2).

If any man shall say that Christ, the only begotten Son of God, is not to be adored in the holy sacrament of the Eucharist, even with the open worship of latria, and therefore not to be venerated with any peculiar festal celebrity, nor to be solemnly carried about in processions according to the praiseworthy, and universal rites and customs of the holy Church, and that he is not to be publicly set before the people to be adored, and that his adorers are idolaters -- let him be accursed (Canon 6).

If anyone shall say that the ungodly man is justified by faith only so as to understand that nothing else is required that may cooperate to obtain the grace of justification, and that it is in no wise necessary for him to be prepared and disposed by the motion of his own will ... let him be accursed (Canon 9).

If anyone shall say that justifying faith is nothing else than confidence in the divine mercy pardoning sins for Christ's sake, or that it is that confidence alone by which we are justified ... let him be accursed (Canon 12).

More to follow.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
In a very real sense, however, it never died at all. It was only transformed and absorbed into Christianity. It is this transformation, and the absorption of classical culture in its various manifestations into the very substance of Christianity which, perhaps more than anything else, explains why after its toleration Christianity swept on with such relentless force to become the undisputed- heir of the whole complex of Mediterranean civilization.

Commenting further on the absorbing qualities of the Church these same writers say:

The competing oriental mystery cults Christianity overcame by becoming itself an oriental mystery cult.

In like manner Christianity overcame Graeco-Roman polytheism by itself becoming in some degree polytheistic. Its polytheism consisted in devotion to its martyrs and its ascetic heroes as saints . . . Local Christian saints became endowed with the powers of local pagan gods. The aches and pains, the fears and hopes, that had formerly been cured or assuaged or satisfied by pagan gods were now taken care of by their Christian substitutes, whose special days of worship in some cases can be clearly shown to have been the days dedicated to their pagan predecessors. In some instances the Christian saints inherited the very temples of their predecessors.

An Example

In the year 597 Gregory the Great sent Austin as a missionary to Britain to convert the Saxons to Catholicism. Austin was instructed not to make any radical changes hi the worship of the people. He was to offer them very liberal terms if they would but submit to baptism. History of Baptists, Vol. 1, page 1179, by John T. Christian (Baptist Sunday School Committee, Texarkana, Ark.-Texas) has this to say about this mission venture:

He was not to destroy the heathen temples; only to remove the images of their gods, to wash the walls with holy water, to erect altars and deposit relics in them, and so to convert them into Christian churches; not merely to save the expense of new ones, but that the people might easily be prevailed upon to frequent those places of worship to which they had been accustomed. Gregory directed him further to accommodate the services of the Christian worship, as much as possible, to those of the heathen, that the people might not be startled at the change; and particular, he advised him to allow the Christian converts, on certain festivals, to kill and eat a great number of oxen to the glory of God, as they had formerly done to the glory of the devil.

Secular history in a startling statement sums up much of which has already been said:

The most striking feature of medieval Europe was that there was but one religious explanation available, from which no serious deviation was tolerated. That religion we call Christianity, but we must never forget how obstinately classical and barbarian paganism survived, and how many of its elements were incorporated into the new cult. If by Christianity we mean the teachings of Christ and nothing else, we are almost bound to call the new religion paganized Christianity—if it was not, as some have claimed, rather Christianized paganism.

(An Introduction to Medieval Europe by Thompson and Johnson, p. 674)

Pagan Doctrines and Practices

It is very evident that many of the doctrines and practices of the Catholic Church are Pagan in their origin.

Mariolatry was established as a doctrine of the Catholic Church at the Council of Chalcedon in 451. Under the influence of Paganism it was felt that another mediator was needed. The Bible says there is but one mediator and he is specifically named. "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man, Christ Jesus." (1 Tim. 2:5) Not only was Mary added as the chief mediator but there followed a multitude of other mediators in the form of Patron saints.

Pilgrimages and the veneration of relics was borrowed from Paganism. In the fourth century Saint Helena, mother of Constantine and empress of the Roman Empire, made a pilgrimage to Jerusalem where she is supposed to have found fragments of the true cross on which Christ was crucified. By the sixth century the belief in relics and their power to work miracles was widespread. Today relics form a vital part of the Catholic religion. The silence of the Scriptures and the testimony of historians make it evident that the veneration of relics came from Paganism and not from God.

The Rosary which is so dear to Catholics in their prayers is of very ancient origin. It is almost universal among all the pagan nations. Reference is made to it in Hindu sacred books. The Brahmins of Hindustan have long employed the rosary. It is a common thing among the adherents of the Buddhist faith. It is pagan in its origin and use. The Bible does not in the least way infer the need of a rosary to aid us in our prayer to God.

The doctrine of Purgatory is pagan in its origin. The Roman poet Virgil (70 B. C. - 19 B. C.) wrote of purgatory showing the pagans believed in it long before the Catholic Church taught it. If purgatory were Christian it could be found in the Bible.

Transubstantiation, which did not become a doctrine of the Catholic Church until the 13th century, is pagan. This Romish doctrine means that the bread and wine when blessed by the priest becomes the actual flesh and blood of Christ. The writer has witnessed a midnight mass (Mass is the center of Catholic worship) and the whole service was reeking with Paganism and Judaism. Many may say it is a beautiful service but to others it is a reminder of the pagan sacrifices and of the pagan mystery cults. If the doctrine of transubstantiation were Christian why did not the churches teach it in the first centuries?

The sign of the cross so frequently made by devout Catholics does not come from Christianity but from the Pagans. Actually the same sign now used by the adherents of Rome was used in the Babylonian Mysteries before Christ was ever crucified!

The infallibility of the pope which was not declared until 1870 could not be a Christian doctrine. Many historians believe that the idea for the powers of the pope with the College of Cardinals came from the Pagan College of Pontiff s with its Sovereign Pontiff which had no doubt been in Rome from the earliest times and must have been framed on the order of the original Council of Pontiff s at Babylon. The infallibility of the pope really sounds pagan when one observes that at one tune there were three popes, Urban VI, Clement VII, and Alexander V!

The way of salvation as taught by the Catholic Church is pagan. It is a way of salvation by works. There is not another church in the world so dedicated to teaching salvation by good works as the church of Rome. It is pagan. Salvation is by grace through faith. Eph. 2:8, 9 (Catholic translation)

For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not from yourselves, for it is the gift of God; not as the outcome of works lest anyone may boast.

More Pagan Than Christian

Tested by the Scriptures and by history the Catholic Church is proven to be more pagan than Christian. That which could be called Christian in this institution is but a thin veneer over the ancient temple of Paganism and’. Judaism.

Samuel Morland wrote a history of the Evangelical Churches of the Valleys of Piemont in the year 1658. In his introduction he writes of the antiquity of the Catholic Church.

The truth is, I deny not but they may challenge some sort of antiquity for their religion, and that a great part of their traditions have been a long-time practiced in the world, whereby they have beguiled many millions of poor souls: which I cannot better express than by that subtilty of the Gibeonites, who when they had designed to betray the men of Israel, and to make them believe that they came from a very far country, they did work wilily, and made as if they had been ambassadors, and they took old sacks upon their asses, and wine-bottles old and rent, and bound up, and old shoes clouted upon their feet, and old garments upon them, and all the bread of their provision was dry and mouldy; and in this posture, they went to Joshua unto the camp at Gilgal, and said unto him, and to the men of Israel, ‘We be come from a far country, now therefore make ye a league with us.’ So say I, these Gibeonitish Catholics have taken the old sacks of Jewish ceremonies, and the old clouted shoes of Paganism, together with the dry and mouldy bread of the Arian Heresy, whereof they have made a medley of religion; and now to the end that they may daily gain more and more proselytes, they pretend with confidence, yea and would fain make us believe, that these traditions are derived from Christ and his Apostles, whereas the contrary is as clear as the noon-day.

The Pagan Religion marched into the Christian Era, halted momentarily to change her outer garments, and then marched on under the guise of Christianity. It has been said, "clothes do not make a man" and being dressed like Christianity does not make Catholicism the true Church. Multitudes have come into her fold thinking they have embraced the religion of Christ. What a tragedy! True Christianity is found in the teachings of the Bible and not in the tradition of a church pregnant with Paganism which will eventually give birth to the rule of the Antichrist. Salvation is in the Christ of the Bible.

"Neither is there salvation in any other; for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." (Acts 4:12).

Then end of the article.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
The above articles, sadly, are quite biased against Catholicism, however, the message stands for all of Christianity, as all of the other sects are offshoots of Catholicism.

Scott1

Hey it looks like we have another bigot on the site! Great.... we seem to be filling up quick.

Nice job Druidus, I will look forward to your treatice on Jews or blacks next.

You should be ashamed of yourself..... just because you find lies and garbage like this on some anti-Catholic website does not mean you should post it. The fact that you could post this crap (it has 30+ factual errors and several just plain lies) shows what kind of person you are.

Mister Emu said:
Yes, I do believe Josh 10:12.

I am sorry that your eyes were closed to the truth Harold, and I will pray that the Holy Spirit opens your eyes, and that God comes once again into your life.

Have you ever heard of Copernicus or Galileo? Do you know their contributions to science and how Galileo was treated by the Christian Church.?

BTW, Joshua couldn't have stopped the Sun simply because the Sun doesn't move. This is taught in elementary school.

Back in the Hebrew bible writing days they thought that the earth was the center of the universe and that the earth was flat.

Please don’t pray for me because I once was blind but now I see.

Status
Not open for further replies.