• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical Contradictions

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Do you know anything about Dankenbring? The nonsense he preaches? You realize he thinks the end of the world is going to happen this year right? And absolutely no biblical scholar praises his work, as a matter of fact i believe someone once said his book was apocryphal nonsense. Dont just google things to make them fit your hypothesis, do some research first. Especially on the morons you cite.

This is entirely symptomatic.
  • Surf the web for validation.
  • Uncritically grab anything and everything that seems to work.
  • Walk away feeling cocky.
It is pathetically juvenile and grossly irresponsible. Christianity deserves to be better served.

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary
It is pathetically juvenile and grossly irresponsible. Christianity deserves to be better served.

I couldn't agree more. Outstanding. :yes:

Vadergirl123

Yes it does. I don't usually do that. However I already admited that I rushed through the question. I just read through one link thought it made sense and then posted it without doing a better research job. That's the FIRST time I've done that though,and it won't happen again. I've learned my lesson.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Yes it does. I don't usually do that. However I already admited that I rushed through the question. I just read through one link thought it made sense and then posted it without doing a better research job. That's the FIRST time I've done that though,and it won't happen again. I've learned my lesson.
so you actually read and agree with all the other links you have presented in this thread?
Really?

Vadergirl123

so you actually read and agree with all the other links you have presented in this thread?
Really?
Yes(excluding the one about the Lord's Supper), and I didn't just use links for all of those. Most of it came from reading the bible itself and the verses in context.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
It is either extreme bravery or foolhardiness that causes one to throw a burning rope across a chasm of hopelessness and try to cross via that rope.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Yes it does. I don't usually do that.
You do precisely that. You search out a "could have" and triumphantly assume vindication. Yet with each "could have" the narrative becomes sloppier, less credible, more vulnerable, and more desperately in need of people exactly like you to keep it afloat. Yes: Judas could have hung himself only to eventually fall to the ground and have his guts fall out, but to embrace and insist on a string of such strained justifications is to make a mockery of scripture, painting it as inspired text penned by bozos. :rolleyes:

InChrist

Free4ever
I believe the gospel of John clarifies that the last supper, was not the Feast of Passover, but the night before. The link I’ve also included is a from ministry I have found to be reputable and faithful to the scriptures for years, whether or not others agree with their conclusions is another matter.

Now before the Feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that His hour had come that He should depart from this world to the Father, having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the end. And supper being ended, the devil having already put it into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, to betray Him, Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was going to God, rose from supper and laid aside His garments, took a towel and girded Himself. After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded. John 13:1-5

[FONT=&quot]“Now. if this were the Passover, this Last Supper, that is the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread. It is a Sabbath—the Passover lamb is killed just before sunset, killed in the “evening,” it’s called, of the previous day. Then it has to be roast with fire, and so forth, and that night you eat the Passover. If that were the case, there are no stores open. Judas couldn’t possibly go out to buy anything. Furthermore, it would be a breach of the highest Sabbath that there is for him to even attempt to go out and buy something.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So, we know this is before the feast of the Passover, and furthermore, when you get to chapter 18, and the disciples bring Jesus to Pilate, notice what it says. Verse 28: “Then led they Jesus from Caiaphas unto the hall of judgment: and it was early; and they themselves went not into the judgment hall, lest they should be defiled; but that they might eat the Passover.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Now this is the morning after the Last Supper. Jesus has been betrayed. He has been before the chief priests, and now He is brought to Pilate, but the chief priests will not go into the judgment hall because they have to keep themselves away from unleavened bread. This is obviously the beginning of the time of unleavened bread, and they have not yet eaten the Passover.”[/FONT]

excerpt from;

Was the Last Supper the Passover?

Was the Last Supper the Passover? | thebereancall.org

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary
I believe the gospel of John clarifies that the last supper, was not the Feast of Passover, but the night before. The link I’ve also included is a from ministry I have found to be reputable and faithful to the scriptures for years, whether or not others agree with their conclusions is another matter.

Now before the Feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that His hour had come that He should depart from this world to the Father, having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the end. And supper being ended, the devil having already put it into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, to betray Him, Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was going to God, rose from supper and laid aside His garments, took a towel and girded Himself. After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded. John 13:1-5

[FONT=&quot]“Now. if this were the Passover, this Last Supper, that is the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread. It is a Sabbath—the Passover lamb is killed just before sunset, killed in the “evening,” it’s called, of the previous day. Then it has to be roast with fire, and so forth, and that night you eat the Passover. If that were the case, there are no stores open. Judas couldn’t possibly go out to buy anything. Furthermore, it would be a breach of the highest Sabbath that there is for him to even attempt to go out and buy something.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So, we know this is before the feast of the Passover, and furthermore, when you get to chapter 18, and the disciples bring Jesus to Pilate, notice what it says. Verse 28: “Then led they Jesus from Caiaphas unto the hall of judgment: and it was early; and they themselves went not into the judgment hall, lest they should be defiled; but that they might eat the Passover.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Now this is the morning after the Last Supper. Jesus has been betrayed. He has been before the chief priests, and now He is brought to Pilate, but the chief priests will not go into the judgment hall because they have to keep themselves away from unleavened bread. This is obviously the beginning of the time of unleavened bread, and they have not yet eaten the Passover.”[/FONT]

excerpt from;

Was the Last Supper the Passover?

Was the Last Supper the Passover? | thebereancall.org

Ok...this is exactly what I said before...Mark says Jesus was crucified after the Passover...John says he was crucified before the Passover...the contradiction still stands.

jtartar

So I'm going to attempt to refute the 463 contraditcions in this linkSAB Contradictions It'll probably take awhile so please bear with me

Vadergirl,
Do not waste your time trying to refute Bible contradictions. If you had really researched each scripture thought to be contradictory, you would have found there was no contradiction, but the whole premise was based on a lack of Bible knowledge. It is very, very surprising how Bible understanding removes what was thought to be contradictions.
Most people do not seem to realize that very few Bible doctrines are complete in one scripture, or even two or three, but sometimes many scriptures are needed to be analyzed, then synthesized, before an understanding is realized.
Many times a person reads a particular scripture and believes he understands what it means. Most of the time he does NOT. First consider what is said at Gen 40:8, which says; do not interpretations belong to God? To understand what God is saying you must collect together ALL the scriptures that mention the subject. This is called collating. Then you must analyze each scripture, many times each word in a scripture, to get the full meaning. When you have done this with all the scriptures on each doctrine, then you must form a theory, Hypothesize, that takes into account what all the scriptures say, and what they say when put together. This is called Colligating. If your theory accounts for all the information in all the relevant scriptures, your theory is true. If you have any scriptures that do not fit your theory, your theory is untrue, and you must come up with a theory that fits all the facts in every scripture collected and collated.
An experienced researcher knows that many scriptures MODIFY, QUALIFY, and COMPLEMENT, what the other scriptures say, so all the scriptures must agree.
Another point to remember is; Intertexuality, which means that every scripture in God's word, THE BIBLE, is related to every other scripture. The Bible is UNIVOCAL, it is Harmonious throughout, has ONE clear message.
One of the main reasons for so many different doctrines is: People read a few scriptures and think they can reason on the answer. This is what is called DOPING OUT the answer. Really every persons problem is the same; EGOCENTRIC PREDICAMENT. Every human being has such a limited knowledge about anything how can we reason on anything that is so far above us as God's wisdom, and dope out as an answer, anything other than what the Bible says, Isa 55:8,9, Prov 3:5,6, Prov 2:1-9.
Another point to remember is; Only by praying for God's spirit you help you, can you hope to understand God's word, 1Cor 2:11-16.
God's word is SENTENTIOUS, meaning it is FILLED with knowledge. Also many fail to think about WORD VALUE, meaning that all God's words were put in the Bible for a purpose, so we must give the proper amount of attention to what each word is saying.
One more point to remember is; Many of the doctrines in the Greek Scriptures can only be properly understood by understanding what the Hebrew Scriptures say about the subject. Many things had there beginning in the Hebrew Scriptures and are comp-leted in the Greek. Many things in the Greek Scriptures cannot be understood without a knowledge of the Hebrew Scriptures.

sojourner

Vadergirl,
Do not waste your time trying to refute Bible contradictions. If you had really researched each scripture thought to be contradictory, you would have found there was no contradiction, but the whole premise was based on a lack of Bible knowledge. It is very, very surprising how Bible understanding removes what was thought to be contradictions.
Most people do not seem to realize that very few Bible doctrines are complete in one scripture, or even two or three, but sometimes many scriptures are needed to be analyzed, then synthesized, before an understanding is realized.
Many times a person reads a particular scripture and believes he understands what it means. Most of the time he does NOT. First consider what is said at Gen 40:8, which says; do not interpretations belong to God? To understand what God is saying you must collect together ALL the scriptures that mention the subject. This is called collating. Then you must analyze each scripture, many times each word in a scripture, to get the full meaning. When you have done this with all the scriptures on each doctrine, then you must form a theory, Hypothesize, that takes into account what all the scriptures say, and what they say when put together. This is called Colligating. If your theory accounts for all the information in all the relevant scriptures, your theory is true. If you have any scriptures that do not fit your theory, your theory is untrue, and you must come up with a theory that fits all the facts in every scripture collected and collated.
An experienced researcher knows that many scriptures MODIFY, QUALIFY, and COMPLEMENT, what the other scriptures say, so all the scriptures must agree.
Another point to remember is; Intertexuality, which means that every scripture in God's word, THE BIBLE, is related to every other scripture. The Bible is UNIVOCAL, it is Harmonious throughout, has ONE clear message.
One of the main reasons for so many different doctrines is: People read a few scriptures and think they can reason on the answer. This is what is called DOPING OUT the answer. Really every persons problem is the same; EGOCENTRIC PREDICAMENT. Every human being has such a limited knowledge about anything how can we reason on anything that is so far above us as God's wisdom, and dope out as an answer, anything other than what the Bible says, Isa 55:8,9, Prov 3:5,6, Prov 2:1-9.
Another point to remember is; Only by praying for God's spirit you help you, can you hope to understand God's word, 1Cor 2:11-16.
God's word is SENTENTIOUS, meaning it is FILLED with knowledge. Also many fail to think about WORD VALUE, meaning that all God's words were put in the Bible for a purpose, so we must give the proper amount of attention to what each word is saying.
One more point to remember is; Many of the doctrines in the Greek Scriptures can only be properly understood by understanding what the Hebrew Scriptures say about the subject. Many things had there beginning in the Hebrew Scriptures and are comp-leted in the Greek. Many things in the Greek Scriptures cannot be understood without a knowledge of the Hebrew Scriptures.
You have no idea about the exegetical process, do you!

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
You have no idea about the exegetical process, do you!
and here I thought he was just taking the lazy route and claiming all supposed contradictions are only contradictions because people do not know how to "actually" "really" read the Bible

Vadergirl123

Ok...this is exactly what I said before...Mark says Jesus was crucified after the Passover...
So I read over Mark again a couple times, and Mark never actually says they're eating the passover. In fact he only talks about them preparing for it. At the passover the jews eat unleavened bread(the greek word is azumos) however the greek word used in Mark is artos, which just means bread/ or a loaf(I have a Hebrew dictionary at my house) there's no contradiction.

sojourner

So I read over Mark again a couple times, and Mark never actually says they're eating the passover. In fact he only talks about them preparing for it. At the passover the jews eat unleavened bread(the greek word is azumos) however the greek word used in Mark is artos, which just means bread/ or a loaf(I have a Hebrew dictionary at my house) there's no contradiction.
Now there's an eisegetical stretch.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Now there's an eisegetical stretch.

Ya think? :D

This all is kind of like if my Aunt Edna telling her businessman neighbor and her three year old granddaughter to get her the doilies, and he grabs the "dailies" from his business stats and projections, and the little girl runs outside to grab some daisies.

Totally different stories on what was said. Huge massive contradictions. But everyone is exemplifying the power of human connection, service, and generosity. Even with all those contradictions and errors.

sojourner

The problem is that Vadergirl doesn't understand the function of disagreement in the development of oral stories.

Verbatim agreement almost always means there's a manuscript -- that it's not from memory. Since the stories were likely originated as oral, rather than written, the fact that there is disagreement between them is a marker for their orality.