• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical Contradictions

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary
[/font][/color]
Hahaha no problem it is alot to read.
I just want to know when Jesus was really crucified.
Was it the day after the Passover meal like it says in Mark or what it on the day prior to the Passover meal like it says in John…JESUS COULDN’T HAVE DIED BOTH DAYS!!!!
No. 215 What time of day was jesus crucified? John says about the sixth hour, and Mark says the third hour. Mark uses the Hebrew computation of time and John uses the Roman. There's no contradiction.[/quote]

That is wrong, Jesus died on SEPARATE DAYS in the gospels. In Mark they had already eaten the Passover meal and Jesus was taken into custody the next day, sentenced and crucified. In John Jesus was arrested on the day of preparation for Passover, the day before. Contradiction still stands. Even if you try and use some different time frame, you have to describe the Passover contradiction.

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
First of all none of them were eyewitnesses, biblical scholars all agree on this. Mark the oldest Gospel was written at least 30 years AFTER the crucifiction and John the oldest anywhere from 90-110 years after, again, non were eyewitnesses. What it does tell me is that the bible is not the inspired/authoritative word of God.

Agreed the Gospel authors were not eyewitnesses. However, those Gospels were assembled from preexisting sources such as the Q source.

Still, my question remains: "Does the appearance of contradiction cause you to believe none of it is true or simply that human eyewitness testimony can be flawed at times?"

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary
Agreed the Gospel authors were not eyewitnesses. However, those Gospels were assembled from preexisting sources such as the Q source.

Still, my question remains: "Does the appearance of contradiction cause you to believe none of it is true or simply that human eyewitness testimony can be flawed at times?"

Yes, but q is only for the synoptic gospels, no influence on John...to answer your question, I'd have to go with it just shows me people and their eyewitness testimonies are flawed...quite often.

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
Yes, but q is only for the synoptic gospels, no influence on John...to answer your question, I'd have to go with it just shows me people and their eyewitness testimonies are flawed...quite often.

Agreed. Which is why 1) We shouldn't take the Bible literally and 2) We should look at the Bible in total and not cherry-pick from it for the reasons we're talking about.

While I believe religious texts are inspired by the Almighty, the instrument for writing them, man, is flawed. It's like writing a manuscript in one flowing hand, but with a pen that skips occasionally. This would cause some words to be dropped or inadvertently changing the meaning. If one meant to write "Thall shalt not kill" and the word "not" got dropped, cherry-pickers would use that to justify murder. OTOH, of one read the entire manuscript, thereby putting all words into context, then it would be clear that murder was not condoned.

The reasons we see contradictions in the Bible is due to the influence of mankind. This is not a problem if we take the Bible in full context.

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary
Agreed. Which is why 1) We shouldn't take the Bible literally and 2) We should look at the Bible in total and not cherry-pick from it for the reasons we're talking about.

While I believe religious texts are inspired by the Almighty, the instrument for writing them, man, is flawed. It's like writing a manuscript in one flowing hand, but with a pen that skips occasionally. This would cause some words to be dropped or inadvertently changing the meaning. If one meant to write "Thall shalt not kill" and the word "not" got dropped, cherry-pickers would use that to justify murder. OTOH, of one read the entire manuscript, thereby putting all words into context, then it would be clear that murder was not condoned.

The reasons we see contradictions in the Bible is due to the influence of mankind. This is not a problem if we take the Bible in full context.

Well we have a major difference, I don't believe it to be more than a book of stories, not influenced by any supreme being, just stories passed down orally and finally written after decades. No different than any other "divine" book

Vadergirl123

Okay guys so again I really want to keep this thread focused on the contradictions themselves. However I have another thread I just created called "Is the Bible the Inspired Word of God." If you want to debate that please just post on that thread.

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary
Okay guys so again I really want to keep this thread focused on the contradictions themselves. However I have another thread I just created called "Is the Bible the Inspired Word of God." If you want to debate that please just post on that thread.

Fair enough, please refute the obvious contridiction I stated earlier please.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
this thread reminds me of the movie julie and julia for some reason...
More like Dumb and Dumber
"Where are you going?"
"Aspen."
"Mmm! California!"

=

"There are no biblical contradictions."
"What about the four distinctly different gospel accounts?"
"It's all really one story."

Vadergirl123

That is wrong, Jesus died on SEPARATE DAYS in the gospels. In Mark they had already eaten the Passover meal and Jesus was taken into custody the next day, sentenced and crucified. In John Jesus was arrested on the day of preparation for Passover, the day before. Contradiction still stands. Even if you try and use some different time frame, you have to describe the Passover contradiction.
He died on ONE day and I wasn't wrong about the times. However I DID misunderstand your question. sorry :( Jesus and his disciples didn't have the passover before he died. They had more of a farewell supper....http://www.triumphpro.com/passover-and-last-supper-new.pdf

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary
He died on ONE day and I wasn't wrong about the times. However I DID misunderstand your question. sorry :( Jesus and his disciples didn't have the passover before he died. They had more of a farewell supper....http://www.triumphpro.com/passover-and-last-supper-new.pdf

Again youre wrong, the Bible specifically states that they did indeed partake in passover.
Mark 14:12 - 25
12 On the first day of the Festival of Unleavened Bread, when it was customary to sacrifice the Passover lamb, Jesus’ disciples asked him, “Where do you want us to go and make preparations for you to eat the Passover?”
13 So he sent two of his disciples, telling them, “Go into the city, and a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him. 14 Say to the owner of the house he enters, ‘The Teacher asks: Where is my guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?’ 15 He will show you a large room upstairs, furnished and ready. Make preparations for us there.”
16 The disciples left, went into the city and found things just as Jesus had told them. So they prepared the Passover.
17 When evening came, Jesus arrived with the Twelve. 18 While they were reclining at the table eating, he said, “Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me—one who is eating with me.”
19 They were saddened, and one by one they said to him, “Surely you don’t mean me?”
20 “It is one of the Twelve,” he replied, “one who dips bread into the bowl with me. 21 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.”
22 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take it; this is my body.”
23 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, and they all drank from it.
24 “This is my blood of the] covenant, which is poured out for many,” he said to them. 25 “Truly I tell you, I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.”

The next morning
Mark 15:1 Very early in the morning, the chief priests, with the elders, the teachers of the law and the whole Sanhedrin, reached a decision. They bound Jesus, led him away and handed him over to Pilate.
Mark 15:25 It was the third hour when they crucified him
Now let’s move onto John.
John 19:14 It was the day of Preparation of Passover Week, about the sixth hour. "Here is your king," Pilate said to the Jews.
It wasn’t a farewell supper, now you are just trying to grasp at straws to make things fit your conclusion. Read the passages. Also, that text you sent was asinine, you didnt spend a week preparing food for the passover, you prepared it the day before you ate it. Again all just grasping at straws.

Again I just noticed who wrote that article...Do you know anything about Dankenbring? The nonsense he preaches? You realize he thinks the end of the world is going to happen this year right? And absolutely no biblical scholar praises his work, as a matter of fact i believe someone once said his book was apocryphal nonsense. Dont just google things to make them fit your hypothesis, do some research first. Especially on the morons you cite. Besides he is wrong anyway because it specifically states in Mark 14:14 - 14 Say to the owner of the house he enters, ‘The Teacher asks: Where is my guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?’

Last edited:

Vadergirl123

Again youre wrong, the Bible specifically states that they did indeed partake in passover.
Mark 14:12 - 25
12 On the first day of the Festival of Unleavened Bread, when it was customary to sacrifice the Passover lamb, Jesus’ disciples asked him, “Where do you want us to go and make preparations for you to eat the Passover?”
13 So he sent two of his disciples, telling them, “Go into the city, and a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him. 14 Say to the owner of the house he enters, ‘The Teacher asks: Where is my guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?’ 15 He will show you a large room upstairs, furnished and ready. Make preparations for us there.”
16 The disciples left, went into the city and found things just as Jesus had told them. So they prepared the Passover.
Yes I see that it does seem to say that. It also serves me right for doing a rushed job of replying. :eek: I'll do a better job and find you an answer.