• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible - The Noble Gospel

Is the Bible a sure spiritual guide.

• Yes it is!

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No it is not!

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Yes it can be, I will explain!

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • No it cannot be, I will explain!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am undecided!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As a Baha'i I fully support the Bible and offer it in the light of this comment written by ‘Abdu’l'Bahá

"THIS book is the Holy Book of God, of celestial Inspiration. It is the Bible of Salvation, the Noble Gospel. It is the mystery of the Kingdom and its light. It is the Divine Bounty, the sign of the guidance of God."

There is also advice that it is a sure spiritual guide, even though some words contained within may not have been direct quotes form the Prophets of the Old Testament, or from Jesus the Christ in the New Testament.

To me that matters not, as I see it contains all we need to follow God's purpose for humanity.

It may be I see it in that Light, as I look at it through the lens of my faith.

So, what is the Bible to you?

images (2) (2).jpeg

Regards Tony

Lain

St. Augustine said that: "Sacred Scripture is an Encyclopedia of all the sciences. Here is Natural Philosophy, because all the causes of all creatures are in God, the Creator. Here is Moral Philosophy, because a good and honest life is derived from no other source than the love of God and our neighbor as they ought to be loved. Here is Logic, because Truth and the Light of the rational soul are God. Here is Political Science, for a really flourishing State can neither be founded nor preserved except upon the foundation, and by the bond of faith, and firm concord, when the common good of all is loved: that is to say, when God is loved above all things, and when men love one another in Him, and for His sake," and also "by the Scriptures depraved minds are corrected, little minds are nourished, great minds are delighted. The only minds which are hostile to this doctrine are those which either by going astray know not its healthfulness, or being sick dislike its medicine."

St. Basil the Great said that: "Everything in the scripture has been divinely inspired, and has its uses. The Holy Spirit has dictated it in such a way that everyone can choose from it, as from a dispensary open to all, the remedy suited to his malady."

And perhaps my favorite saying on it from St. Athanasius: "the Lord Himself is in the words of Scripture." As it is like a Verbal Incarnation of the Lord Jesus Christ.

I quoted them for I can't say it better and agree completely with them on what it is. All of that is what it is to me, and all the implications thereof. It is the chief witness to and guide to the Faith. That's all my opinion on it at least.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The is only valid for Christian, the Qur'an for Muslims, the Adi Granth for sikhs etc.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The is only valid for Christian, the Qur'an for Muslims, the Adi Granth for sikhs etc.

Yes it can be seen that way. History has shown it has shaped the direction of many Nations though.

I am happy to say it is still valid in my faith, as I see its core teachings are the core teachings of all Faiths

Stay well and happy ChristineM

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I put “it can be” and by that I meant: if it is read in a spiritual frame of mind.
If not; it can also be a bunch of repetitive, confusing ramblings that lead some to feel, think and do not so good things in life.

Humbly
Hermit

I would agree, it has to be read to find what it is saying to our spiritual self.

Taking it only as a outward material guide, it can be quite confusing.

Regards

ChristineM

Premium Member
I am happy to say it is still valid in my faith, as I see its core teachings are the core teachings of all Faiths

Or perhaps the core teaching of the tanakh from which most of the Bible and a great deal of the Qur'an were copied

Certainly the core of Abrahamic faiths, i wouldn't be so confident to say "all faiths"

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I answered, "it can be," based on how one interpreted it and incorporates its teachings into day-to-day life.

A compilation of stories written by men to create a moral compass for society that have gone through innumerable transitions and interpretations.

RestlessSoul

It's far from being one book, the Bible, it's a compendium of literature spanning millennia, and imo has to be considered in that light if we are to make sense of it.

Mahatma Gandhi is quoted as saying that if all Hindu scripture was lost, the entirety of Hinduism could be reconstructed from one verse of the Isha Upanishad. This set me to wondering if there were one verse or one book in the Bible for which the same could be said. Probably not, given the divergence of Christianity from Judaism, and the importance of scripture to both traditions. But if only the Psalms, Ecclesiastes and the Gospels were left, that might be enough to sustain Christianity; those books help sustain me anyway.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
As a Baha'i I fully support the Bible and offer it in the light of this comment written by ‘Abdu’l'Bahá

"THIS book is the Holy Book of God, of celestial Inspiration. It is the Bible of Salvation, the Noble Gospel. It is the mystery of the Kingdom and its light. It is the Divine Bounty, the sign of the guidance of God."

There is also advice that it is a sure spiritual guide, even though some words contained within may not have been direct quotes form the Prophets of the Old Testament, or from Jesus the Christ in the New Testament.

To me that matters not, as I see it contains all we need to follow God's purpose for humanity.

It may be I see it in that Light, as I look at it through the lens of my faith.

View attachment 57805

Regards Tony

The entire Bible, I'd have to say no.
The narrative of Jesus created by the 4 gospels, sure.

Outside of this, The OT is more of a tribal narrative and the rest of the NT is a Church narrative. None of which I find particularly useful.

Lain

Mahatma Gandhi is quoted as saying that if all Hindu scripture was lost, the entirety of Hinduism could be reconstructed from one verse of the Isha Upanishad. This set me to wondering if there were one verse or one book in the Bible for which the same could be said. Probably not, given the divergence of Christianity from Judaism, and the importance of scripture to both traditions. But if only the Psalms, Ecclesiastes and the Gospels were left, that might be enough to sustain Christianity; those books help sustain me anyway.

I'd say the Psalms alone, from the LXX or Vulgate specifically. St. Basil the Great said that "the Psalter contains in itself whatever is good in all other books," and St. Athanasius "each of these books [of the Bible], you see, is like a garden which grows one special kind of fruit; by contrast, the Psalter is a garden which, besides its special fruit, grows also some those of all the rest." I have never found something in another book which is also not there in substance, or some teaching of the Church also not similarly there. Ecclesiastes and the Gospels would be useful too, although due to the Liturgical value I'd probably say the Gospels and Revelation, which contains a description of the Liturgy/Mass in more detail. The Psalms do too though. All my opinion of course.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Or perhaps the core teaching of the tanakh from which most of the Bible and a great deal of the Qur'an were copied

Certainly the core of Abrahamic faiths, i wouldn't be so confident to say "all faiths"

Yes all Faiths is definitely an over generalisation for sure. In my mind that means all Faith given by God, that they are based on the same core values, the differences being the outward teachings suited to the age and people given. Some faiths outside this, do reflect some of those core values, but may not accept others.

I also see that many people who do not have a faith can also appreciate those core values. I think we are finding out that as a whole, that humanity needs to identify and implement those values.

Regards Tony

ChristineM

Premium Member
Yes all Faiths is definitely an over generalisation for sure. In my mind that means all Faith given by God, that they are based on the same core values, the differences being the outward teachings suited to the age and people given. Some faiths outside this, do reflect some of those core values, but may not accept others.

I also see that many people who do not have a faith can also appreciate those core values. I think we are finding out that as a whole, that humanity needs to identify and implement those values.

Regards Tony

You mean the core values of human civilization. Taken by religion as their own. Ok

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I answered, "it can be," based on how one interpreted it and incorporates its teachings into day-to-day life.

A compilation of stories written by men to create a moral compass for society that have gone through innumerable transitions and interpretations.

I see that is a view that would promote a wider unity.

I do wonder where humanities moral compass is currently pointing us to. To me there is a hope of finding the destination, but currently we are all on a ship in the middile of a very stormy sea.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The entire Bible, I'd have to say no.
The narrative of Jesus created by the 4 gospels, sure.

Outside of this, The OT is more of a tribal narrative and the rest of the NT is a Church narrative. None of which I find particularly useful.

I understand that point of view.

For me it raises some valid points.

What I current see is that the Bible is a progression from birth to childhood, giving the fundamentals of our spiritual foundation. Giving a lasting bond to a single source of good, teaching us between right and wrong.

So the Old Testament are the early lessons though mostly forgotten, are nevertheless a core part of our spiritual foundation, which further education have embellished.

Regards Tony