• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible Study In Public Schools Up For Vote

Skwim

Veteran Member

"Officials in six states, including populous ones such as Virginia and Florida, are considering bills permitting the study of the Bible in classrooms. Proponents of these bills insist that the Bible would be treated as a historical and literary source, not as a means of religious guidance.

Last week, President Trump tweeted his support for these laws, writing, “Numerous states introducing Bible Literacy classes. … Starting to make a turn back? Great!”

As a historian who has studied how American Protestants have engaged with the culture at large, I worry these bills threaten to reignite one of the oldest church-state controversies in U.S. politics. While Trump and his evangelical base support the bills, critics oppose them for fear their real intent is to teach Christianity in public schools.

This is an old debate. Bible reading in schools was among the first social issues to split American Protestants into competing liberal and conservative camps."
source

My thought is that it's no more than a veiled attempt to slip Christianity into public schools under the guise of essential knowledge, in effect violating the First Amendment.

Yours?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If they're to study religious texts as literature,
then they must diversity. I'd add...
c00614dd6133d960ef4baffab2d27099--the-galaxy-video-games.jpg

idea

Question Everything
Everyone can be an optimist or a pessimist about these things - might be good for kids of fundamentalist families to study the scriptures from the viewpoint of a different denomination - to talk about it in a diverse setting, hear different viewpoints - classroom vs. church. If done well, the classroom discussion could have some great bonuses.

I think it would do everyone some good to visit different religious groups, learn different interpretations of scriptures, read different sets of scriptures - get to know everyone on this planet better.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I wouldn't trust Public Schools with anything as important as Bible Studies. What if they get it wrong and the children end up in Hell? :eek:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I wouldn't trust Public Schools with anything as import as Bible Studies. What if they get it wrong and the children end up in Hell? :eek:
Or worse yet....what if they become atheists...or Bokononists.....or Revoltifarians!

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Everyone can be an optimist or a pessimist about these things - might be good for kids of fundamentalist families to study the scriptures from the viewpoint of a different denomination - to talk about it in a diverse setting, hear different viewpoints - classroom vs. church. If done well, the classroom discussion could have some great bonuses.

I think it would do everyone some good to visit different religious groups, learn different interpretations of scriptures, read different sets of scriptures - get to know everyone on this planet better.
We could do that better by not making it a bible study but instead make it a religions course which has an overview of multiple religions and their texts, rather than just Christianity. Save that for college when it's a chosen focus.

idea

Question Everything
We could do that better by not making it a bible study but instead make it a religions course which has an overview of multiple religions and their texts, rather than just Christianity. Save that for college when it's a chosen focus.

Small steps - first let everyone realize different perspectives within their own religious genre, then introduce them to the wider world. Start with what people are familiar with, then slowly expand their circle of understanding.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Small steps - first let everyone realize different perspectives within their own religious genre, then introduce them to the wider world. Start with what people are familiar with, then slowly expand their circle of understanding.
I doubt the people in charge of these bills are looking to get to step 2. They would reel at the idea of having such a "neutral" class on outside worldviews. And that makes me worry.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I doubt the people in charge of these bills are looking to get to step 2. They would reel at the idea of having such a "neutral" class on outside worldviews. And that makes me worry.
And they would snap at the reins if it was proposed the Qur'an or Bhagavad Gita take the place of the Bible.

shmogie

"Officials in six states, including populous ones such as Virginia and Florida, are considering bills permitting the study of the Bible in classrooms. Proponents of these bills insist that the Bible would be treated as a historical and literary source, not as a means of religious guidance.

Last week, President Trump tweeted his support for these laws, writing, “Numerous states introducing Bible Literacy classes. … Starting to make a turn back? Great!”

As a historian who has studied how American Protestants have engaged with the culture at large, I worry these bills threaten to reignite one of the oldest church-state controversies in U.S. politics. While Trump and his evangelical base support the bills, critics oppose them for fear their real intent is to teach Christianity in public schools.

This is an old debate. Bible reading in schools was among the first social issues to split American Protestants into competing liberal and conservative camps."
source

My thought is that it's no more than a veiled attempt to slip Christianity into public schools under the guise of essential knowledge, in effect violating the First Amendment.

Please clarify, you are a historian ??

Yours?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Yes

And yes again.

And they would snap at the reins if it was proposed the Qur'an or Bhagavad Gita take the place of the Bible.

And we can just bet that will be noted in a lawsuit.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

source

Yours?

I think you nailed it.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

source

Yours?

YES! WE ARE GOING TO INFECT EVERYBODY WITH THE-LOVE-OF-JESUS VIRUS. HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS!! :D

You are too late. :)

Access Islam is a real program for school teachers looking to offer lesson plans on the religion of Islam. But to say it’s part of an "indoctrination program" delivered from the federal government isn’t accurate.
Is Access Islam a federal indoctrination school program?

Indoctrination program because they teach the bible? No more that when they teach Islam. :) You must be a fundie.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
YES! WE ARE GOING TO INFECT EVERYBODY WITH THE-LOVE-OF-JESUS VIRUS. HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS!! :D

You are too late. :)

Access Islam is a real program for school teachers looking to offer lesson plans on the religion of Islam. But to say it’s part of an "indoctrination program" delivered from the federal government isn’t accurate.
Is Access Islam a federal indoctrination school program?

Indoctrination program because they teach the bible? No more that when they teach Islam. :) You must be a fundie.
If you Google search Access Islam you get wave after wave of Republican protest that it shouldn't be a part of the school curriculum. And it isn't. At most some department of education budget was allocated for a television program. Maybe it should or shouldn't, and maybe Betsy DeVos should be barred from ever attempting to give Christian private schools money. But you can't tell me that conservatives have the high ground on this one. If anything it reinforces the point that they just want their own view to be circulated and no one elses.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...ZnEh262jvc#scso=_0bFYXKfIELnQ0PEPxuGKmAU1:239

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
If you Google search Access Islam you get wave after wave of Republican protest that it shouldn't be a part of the school curriculum. And it isn't. At most some department of education budget was allocated for a television program. Maybe it should or shouldn't, and maybe Betsy DeVos should be barred from ever attempting to give Christian private schools money. But you can't tell me that conservatives have the high ground on this one. If anything it reinforces the point that they just want their own view to be circulated and no one elses.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...ZnEh262jvc#scso=_0bFYXKfIELnQ0PEPxuGKmAU1:239
The google link just gives me a bunch of options.

And, pray tell, how is Betsy DeVos attempting to give Christian private school money? It sounds like fake news to me.