• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible Passages About Fetus / Baby

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I suggest you take your idea of God to someone who has studied theology extensively. Should give them a laugh anyway.
I could say the same about you. I think that he would laugh far harder at your vile version than mine.

In fact you should try to study theology some day. It would be very interesting to see if it changed any of your beliefs.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
What one should not apply?
God is love?
What does God value that we should not value?

You already said. God values people before conception just as much as post conception. So you should be just as opposed to contraception and masturbation as you are to abortion.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
You already said. God values people before conception just as much as post conception. So you should be just as opposed to contraception and masturbation as you are to abortion.
No I should value the potential in each pre born person. Just because God also values it when it's still in his mind doesn't change that. As a human I can only value something once I know if it's existence. I know a life starts at conception, so I start valuing it then. If I was able to read God's mind I would be able to value what is not yet conceived.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No I should value the potential in each pre born person. Just because God also values it when it's still in his mind doesn't change that. As a human I can only value something once I know if it's existence. I know a life starts at conception, so I start valuing it then. If I was able to read God's mind I would be able to value what is not yet conceived.
Why do you ignore the verses that indicate that he does not? Yes, he clearly valued some special cases, but when it comes to Joe Schmoe the Old Testament indicates that he does not care all that much.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

You don't have to "read God's mind" to know that when you prevent conception, you're preventing a human life from being born. A life God values, according to your holy book. Thus you should be against preventing those lives from being born.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
You don't have to "read God's mind" to know that when you prevent conception, you're preventing a human life from being born. A life God values, according to your holy book. Thus you should be against preventing those lives from being born.
But you aren't taking a life that already existed, which is what abortion does
I think you can see the difference if you try.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
But you aren't taking a life that already existed, which is what abortion does
I think you can see the difference if you try.

I can see the difference. But the proof text you're citing to justify your position on the ethics of abortion says God "knows" pre-conceived people just as much as conceived ones. As you said earlier: "no person at any stage is disposable. God planned them before they even existed, so they have value in any state."

Ergo you're picking and choosing which of God's values apply to your ethics. Which is why the verse doesn't prove what you think it does re: the ethics of abortion.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I can see the difference. But the proof text you're citing to justify your position on the ethics of abortion says God "knows" pre-conceived people just as much as conceived ones. As you said earlier: "no person at any stage is disposable. God planned them before they even existed, so they have value in any state."

Ergo you're picking and choosing which of God's values apply to your ethics. Which is why the verse doesn't prove what you think it does re: the ethics of abortion.
Already covered this. If you don't get it that's not my problem.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Nope. I understand it well.
No, you really do not. You constantly demonstrate that. You let your own beliefs overpower your reasoning.

You can't fully understand the Bible if you do not know its history. You can't fully understand the Bible if you do not know how to check it. There are quite a few failures that being excessively literal cause when it comes to the Bible. You also allow your personal beliefs to overpower your reasoning when it comes to understanding the Bible. For example you have a very strong anti-abortion belief. That odes not allow you to understand either Exodus 21 22 or the Test of an Unfaithful Wife properly.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
No, you really do not. You constantly demonstrate that. You let your own beliefs overpower your reasoning.

You can't fully understand the Bible if you do not know its history. You can't fully understand the Bible if you do not know how to check it. There are quite a few failures that being excessively literal cause when it comes to the Bible. You also allow your personal beliefs to overpower your reasoning when it comes to understanding the Bible. For example you have a very strong anti-abortion belief. That odes not allow you to understand either Exodus 21 22 or the Test of an Unfaithful Wife properly.
That passage isn't even about abortion. That's obvious to anyone who has studied it.

The Spirit of Truth

The Spirit of Truth
Let this thread be a place to collect every passage
anyone can find that could shed light on whether or
not a fetus is the same as a baby.
The question is not, "When is a foetus equal to a baby," but, "When is it in the mother and child’s best interest to terminate a pregnancy?" We all want to be proud of our parents and look to them for our genetic makeup, so who wants to be the child of a rapist, and why should a mother be compelled to devote her short life carrying and nurturing the child of such a person, who may also follow in his father’s footsteps. Incest is also rape.

Life is difficult enough if you are born normal, so who would choose to be severely mentally or physically disabled? Just because a mother’s love extends to caring for some extreme genetic errors does not mean we should compel her to devote the rest of her life to being a carer, to say nothing of the loss of parental attention suffered by the siblings.

The third reason that I, as a Judaeo / Christian condone termination, if the mother so wishes, is when her health is seriously compromised. Rest assured, God gave us free will to make such difficult decisions, but if we are wrong, He alone retains the right to decide if and when a foetus receives a spirit.
The Spirit of Truth

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The question is not, "When is a foetus equal to a baby," but, "When is it in the mother and child’s best interest to terminate a pregnancy?" We all want to be proud of our parents and look to them for our genetic makeup, so who wants to be the child of a rapist, and why should a mother be compelled to devote her short life carrying and nurturing the child of such a person, who may also follow in his father’s footsteps. Incest is also rape.

Life is difficult enough if you are born normal, so who would choose to be severely mentally or physically disabled? Just because a mother’s love extends to caring for some extreme genetic errors does not mean we should compel her to devote the rest of her life to being a carer, to say nothing of the loss of parental attention suffered by the siblings.

The third reason that I, as a Judaeo / Christian condone termination, if the mother so wishes, is when her health is seriously compromised. Rest assured, God gave us free will to make such difficult decisions, but if we are wrong, He alone retains the right to decide if and when a foetus receives a spirit.
The Spirit of Truth
Do you have scripture that supports your view?