• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible Passages About Fetus / Baby

Colt

Let this thread be a place to collect every passage
anyone can find that could shed light on whether or
not a fetus is the same as a baby.
Herod knew that a fetus is a human, maybe even king of the Jews! If people aren’t sure what a fetus is then why kill it? Maybe it becomes a tennis racquet?

The Escape to Egypt

13 When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. “Get up,” he said, “take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him.”

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Herod knew that a fetus is a human, maybe even king of the Jews! If people aren’t sure what a fetus is then why kill it? Maybe it becomes a tennis racquet?

The Escape to Egypt

13 When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. “Get up,” he said, “take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him.”
No. That all occurred after the birth of Jesus. You did not follow the story.

Colt

No. That all occurred after the birth of Jesus. You did not follow the story.
At least now you know how to follow the story about Jesus when discussing Jesus. The point is that Herod wanted to kill the child that the Magi had come from far away to see. The Magi knew of Jesus before he was born.

Self-deluded abortion proponents want to pretend that a fetus isn't a child, isn't human so they don't have to face the fact that abortion is murdering a child. They often live with terrible regret until later in life when they eventually face the facts.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
At least now you know how to follow the story about Jesus when discussing Jesus. The point is that Herod wanted to kill the child that the Magi had come from far away to see. The Magi knew of Jesus before he was born.

Self-deluded abortion proponents want to pretend that a fetus isn't a child, isn't human so they don't have to face the fact that abortion is murdering a child. They often live with terrible regret until later in life when they eventually face the facts.
Did he? The Wisemen may have started their journey but I don't see anything that supports your claim in that particular myth of the Bible. And knowing of Jesus before he was born hardly helps. How many people are giving birth to Jesus today? The extreme exception does not support you. General rules are what you need and the general rules show that the fetus was not considered a child.

Colt

Did he? The Wisemen may have started their journey but I don't see anything that supports your claim in that particular myth of the Bible. And knowing of Jesus before he was born hardly helps. How many people are giving birth to Jesus today? The extreme exception does not support you. General rules are what you need and the general rules show that the fetus was not considered a child.
If your mother killed you when you were a fetus would you be alive today?

Colt

That is a rather silly question. If your folks never met would you be here today?

The answer to both is the same and it is a trivial question. The answer is no.
What's silly is pretending that a fetus isn't a human life. Killing a human life that can't defend itself trivializes it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What's silly is pretending that a fetus isn't a human life. Killing a human life that can't defend itself trivializes it.
What is silly is playing wordgames to support an immoral limitation to what others can do. The science says that you are wrong and even the Bible seems to say that you are wrong.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Questions.....
Assume that God created the soul before
the fetus was conceived....
- Does the fetus acquire its soul as a sperm,
an egg, or a united sperm & egg?
- Or does the fetus acquire this soul sometime
later?
- How does the Bible establish this?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Let this thread be a place to collect every passage
anyone can find that could shed light on whether or
not a fetus is the same as a baby.
36 And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren.

Kenny

Premium Member
What is silly is playing wordgames to support an immoral limitation to what others can do. The science says that you are wrong and even the Bible seems to say that you are wrong.
Hmmm... no, that isn't what science has determined. That is what many subscribe to... yes.

Kenny

Premium Member
Actually, I need to revoke this one. I just remembered. In the story, God names Isaac before he was conceived. So it doesn't work. Sorry.
I think it does. We named our firstborn before he was conceived - our daughter was named while in the womb. But one didn't negate the other.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Hmmm... no, that isn't what science has determined. That is what many subscribe to... yes.
Actually it is. A fetuses brain activity is very limited before birth. The reason? It takes a lot of oxygen to support an active brain. A person needs to breathe on one's own to do that. That has been supported many times on this forum.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I think it does. We named our firstborn before he was conceived - our daughter was named while in the womb. But one didn't negate the other.
The challenge is to equate a fetus to a baby in scripture. My argument fails because naming does not always involve the fetus. If a name can be given before there's a fetus, then naming is irrelevent.

Also, I'll note that the verse in Isaiah is not a good example. It doesn't actually say that God named Isaiah in the womb. The wording is "God recalled my name". So Isaiah, like Isaac, may have been named pre-fetus.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
"So *before* someone was in the womb, he was known. In other words, he was known even before conception."

It takes about 6-12 days for a fertilized egg to travel to the uterus and attach to the uterus.
So maybe its saying he knew them once the egg was fertilized, before it reaches the uterus(womb).
No, it just means Jehovah/Yahweh (it's from Psalms) knew before all that began. It's part of that omniscience thing.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And yet tearing the unborn from the womb was an order to the Hebrew army, with David being one of the sickest minds in the OT with "happy is he who dashes your little ones against the rocks."

Kenny

Premium Member
Actually it is. A fetuses brain activity is very limited before birth. The reason? It takes a lot of oxygen to support an active brain. A person needs to breathe on one's own to do that. That has been supported many times on this forum.
Source?

And you are simply stating biological needs and realities just as there is a reality that a person on a ventilator need a lot more oxygen too. But you haven't established, other than your personal viewpoint, that it isn't a child