• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible : Outdated!!?

s13ep

The Bible is outdated and an obstruction of the evolution of wisdom.

There're modern analysises of the spirit that aren't credited because of present biblical adoration.

The often blind adoration for the Bible is a problem, as neutral humanity will have a diminished understanding of their spirits.

With what we have accomplished as a species to this date, we can create a far more accurate analysis of the spirit. For example, we have discovered what might be the first particle of our universe; this can be attributed to inter alia, our own spirits and the (super spirit) soul.

I'm not stating that the Bible is unwise, I'm claiming we are wiser.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
I think, as in all things, it is a matter of sorting the wheat (wisdom) from the chaff ...

Unfortunately not everyone is very good at doing that. People can bogged down in literalism and miss the underlying principles involved. They can also fail to appreciate that ancient religious texts need to be understood in their cultural context.

Last edited by a moderator:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I agree with this. The Bible was written by imperfect people influenced by the thinking of their times. We do not need to accept that which does not conform to modern thinking but still much can be gained from Christianity that focuses on Jesus' love and spirituality.

Knight of Albion

I have long gone past all of that, however I look back on those times with great nostalgic affection - and great gratitude, for they aroused my interest in matters of the spirit and were a stepping stone to where I am today.

The spiritual journey is just that - a journey. One needs ever to press forward, and to seek to grow in wisdom, love and understanding. That's really why we're all here after all.
One's scared duty is to help others along too. Each must make their own way, and in their own time, and by their own route, but if we can lead and inspire others to be kinder, more compassionate, more loving, then we are being true to the Spirit within by doing so.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I don't think that the Bible, or any other set of scriptures, is outdated, but looking at them from a literalistic approach as if they are objective history or science books certainly is. These are books of faith, and that's how they should be read and understood, imo.

s13ep

Wha
I don't think that the Bible, or any other set of scriptures, is outdated, but looking at them from a literalistic approach as if they are objective history or science books certainly is. These are books of faith, and that's how they should be read and understood, imo.

What is "faith", to you?

"Government of Scientists"-science secludes most creativity as 'nonsense'.

It's wise to understand biblical scriptures as early sciences, not dismiss them as 'nonsense'.

This road leads to a dead end, as with Liberty and the 'Government of powers'. Govenment-Science (for a shorter term), is a slow, painful death - but the vices keep people blissful.

It's foolishness and the peons are 'ignorant fools', metaphorically. This is the issue of an ill-defined spirit and soul.

There should be a replacement for the Bible.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I never used the word "nonsense" with this-- quite the opposite.

BTW, using the term "fools", "peons", "ill-defined spirit", is over-the-top. I'm an agnostic, but yet I would never post what you have posted.

Let me suggest you read "The Power of Myth" by Joseph Campbell and Bill Moyers, and then maybe we can discuss this without the name-calling and judgmentalism, OK?

s13ep

I never used the word "nonsense" with this-- quite the opposite.

BTW, using the term "fools", "peons", "ill-defined spirit", is over-the-top. I'm an agnostic, but yet I would never post what you have posted.

Let me suggest you read "The Power of Myth" by Joseph Campbell and Bill Moyers, and then maybe we can discuss this without the name-calling and judgmentalism, OK?
The terms you have considered insults were metaphorical references and/or legit terminology.

I use fool in the 'fool's tarot card' sense, and peon in the 'lowest rank of a clan' sense. I have no need for your conformation, it's truly a greater insult to both our intelligence that you make out that it's a requirement.

Last edited:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The terms you have considered insults were metaphorical references and/or legit terminology.

I use fool in the 'fool's tarot card' sense and peon in the 'lowest rank of a clan' sense. I have no need for your conformation, it's truly a greater insult to both our intelligences, that you make out that it's a requirement.
"Intelligences?" Srrsly?

sojourner

There're modern analysises of the spirit that aren't credited because of present biblical adoration.

The often blind adoration for the Bible is a problem, as neutral humanity will have a diminished understanding of their spirits.

With what we have accomplished as a species to this date, we can create a far more accurate analysis of the spirit. For example, we have discovered what might be the first particle of our universe; this can be attributed to inter alia, our own spirits and the (super spirit) soul.

I'm not stating that the Bible is unwise, I'm claiming we are wiser.
"Outdated" by virtue of its language and cultural context, perhaps. But an "obstruction of the evolution of wisdom?" Hardly.

sojourner

I'm using an iPhone. By hearts, mistakes happen.

Assess yourself.
The intelligentsia check their published work, no matter the media. The fact that you published such a glaring mistake despite the opportunity to correct it is an insult to your intelligences. And funny as all get out.

sojourner

The adoration for ancient texts beyond their inherent worth is an obstruction.
Better, but the adoration of a text is not the text, itself. And just for grins, what, exactly is "the inherent worth" of these texts? By whose measure? Using what yardstick? And in comparison to what other, more "reliable" or "objective" standard?

s13ep

The intelligentsia check their published work, no matter the media. The fact that you published such a glaring mistake despite the opportunity to correct it is an insult to your intelligences. And funny as all get out.
Your word-smithing, as glorious as it sounds, is nothing when compared to the natural spirit that ebbs through as we mutter the words to ourselves.