• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible Literalists Please Explain . . .

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
There were no people of flesh and blood on the earth before Adam and Eve.

But There were however the ( Celestial) man which is not of flesh and blood of the earth. That were on earth.

But seeing Adam and Eve were not the first male and female that were created.

There were male and female created on the 6th day which call today Friday, and then God rested on the 7th day, which we call Saturday.
And then on the next day, which we call Sunday, God created Adam and Eve.

Australian aborigines and Native Americans existed prior to the 76th generation before Christ allegedly spawned by Adam. Right? They were made of flesh and blood. They had :"sinned". They existed at a time way before the time of Adam and Eve.

As I've noted elsewhere in some other discussions about Christianity, Jesus's family tree has a time span of 77 generations listed between his generation and Adam whom the Bible claims was the "first man". Reference: (Luke 3:23-38)

However, the Australian aborigines have evidently been in Australia for over a thousand consecutive generations. Reference: Aboriginal Australians - Wikipedia

There have been hundreds of generations of Native Americans between the time their common ancestry migrated from Asia until the time of Christ.
Reference: Native Americans in the United States - Wikipedia

Faithofchristian

Australian aborigines and Native Americans existed prior to the 76th generation before Christ allegedly spawned by Adam. Right? They were made of flesh and blood. They had :"sinned". They existed at a time way before the time of Adam and Eve.

As I've noted elsewhere in some other discussions about Christianity, Jesus's family tree has a time span of 77 generations listed between his generation and Adam whom the Bible claims was the "first man". Reference: (Luke 3:23-38)

However, the Australian aborigines have evidently been in Australia for over a thousand consecutive generations. Reference: Aboriginal Australians - Wikipedia

There have been hundreds of generations of Native Americans between the time their common ancestry migrated from Asia until the time of Christ.
Reference: Native Americans in the United States - Wikipedia

The bible does not claim Adam as being the first male.
Adam was the seed line in which Christ Jesus was to come thru and that's all.

But as for Adam being the first male to be created, Adam was not the first male created. Nor does the bible support Adam as being the first male created.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

But as for Adam being the first male to be created, Adam was not the first male created. Nor does the bible support Adam as being the first male created.

Genesis 5:1-2 says, “In the day that God created man, He made him in the likeness of God. He created them male and female, and blessed them and called them Mankind in the day they were created.” The New Testament confirms that Adam was “the first man” (1 Corinthians 15:45)

Faithofchristian

Genesis 5:1-2 says, “In the day that God created man, He made him in the likeness of God. He created them male and female, and blessed them and called them Mankind in the day they were created.” The New Testament confirms that Adam was “the first man” (1 Corinthians 15:45)

There's nothing in Genesis 5:1-2, that indicates Adam as being the first male created.
What Genesis 5:1-2 is indicating, the generations of Adam, being those who were born by Adam and Eve.

So there's nothing that indicates Adam as being the first male created.

As for 1 Corinthians 15:45, Adam was the first man to be created that was given the name Adam.
Do you know of any others that were created being called Adam. I don't, as far as I know and read, Adam was the only one that was called Adam.

Just how many Adams do you know of that were given the name Adam.

Adam is the only one who was named Adam.
But that's not to be taken as Adam being the first male created.
Which Adam was not the first male created.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

Genesis 3:20 says that “Eve … was the mother of all living.” In other words, all humans ever born descended originally from Eve.
And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.

Of course, the Bible is wrong; in fact, there were people prior to the 76th generation before Christ allegedly spawned by Adam and Eve.

Last edited:

Faithofchristian

Genesis 3:20 says that “Eve … was the mother of all living.” In other words, all humans ever born descended originally from Eve.
And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.

What does it mean, Eve as being the mother of all living.

What this means is, All those that believe in God are live unto God.
Therefore Eve is the mother of all the living, those who believes in God and Christ Jesus. They are alive unto God.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
What does it mean, Eve as being the mother of all living.

What this means is, All those that believe in God are live unto God.
Therefore Eve is the mother of all the living, those who believes in God and Christ Jesus. They are alive unto God.

When the Bible claims Eve is the mother of all the living, it is claiming everybody is maternally descended from her.

The Bible is claiming Eve is the common maternal ancestor of everybody.

Of course, you can change the meaning for the mother of all the living as you'd like so there is no errant claim being made. .....:D

So then, you don't take the Bible literally, good for you! ....:)

Faithofchristian

When the Bible claims Eve is the mother of all the living, it is claiming everybody is maternally descended from her.

The Bible is claiming Eve is the common maternal ancestor of everybody.

Of course, you can change the meaning for the mother of all the living as you'd like so there is no errant claim being made. .....:D

So then, you don't take the Bible literally, good for you! ....:)

Nope not at all, not when there's the 6 day creation of male and female.

Eve is not the common the maternal ancestor of everybody.
As to how do you figure that. When there are other races in the world of different colors.

What does it mean, God is the God of the living and not of the dead.

So who's the living and who's the dead. Unto God.

I take the bible as literal, I just don't take man's teachings as literal.

Man's teachings well tell a person. That Adam and Eve were the first male and female that was created.

God's teachings in the bible does not say that. Adam and Eve were the second male and female that was created.

In Genesis 1:26, here in a person will find the first male and female created on the
6th day.

And in Genesis 2:1-2, God rested on the
7th day and then on day following the
7th day God created Adam and Eve.

6th day, what is called Friday

7th day what is called Saturday

The day after Saturday is Sunday
On what is called Sunday Adam and Eve were created on.

The 7th day ( Saturday) stands in between the 6th day ( Friday) and the day following Saturday, which is Sunday.

So you have

6th day--Friday
7th day -- Saturday
And the next day after Saturday, is Sunday.
On this day Sunday is when Adam and Eve were created.

But as it is for some unknown reason people reach across the 7th day and take Adam and Eve which were created on Sunday and to apply them on the 6th day.

And take the male and female that were created on the 6th day and pick them up and apply them over on what is called Sunday.
When the 7th day stands there to separate those created on the 6th day from being mix in with Adam and Eve created on what is called Sunday.

6th day Friday first male and female created.
7th day Saturday God rested

The next day Sunday Adam and Eve created.

Kelly of the Phoenix

I should also point out that animals were never meant to live forever, only humans, due to their being created in God's image.
Then why is there a tree of life? There should be no option for it if it were the default.

Altruism, creativity (music, art, etc.), language, those sorts of things.
Many of those are shared by non-humans.

Adam did not immediately die when he ate of the tree, so it was likely spiritual.
Or God simply lied to Adam (Eve wasn't around yet). God verifies the serpent's accusation VERBATIM later. The real reason He didn't want Adam to eat from that tree was that it gave knowledge God didn't want to share.

Satan chose his target carefully.
Literalists will say Satan deceived Eve, but none of that happens in the actual story literally. Satan isn't literally there. That was a later invention. Eve is not deceived. The serpent was the only honest character so far.

She knew that snakes do not talk
Why would they claim this? The farther back you go in time, the more humans believed humans and non-humans shared such skills or even bloodlines. In my book of Native American myths, clans with animal names started off that way because someone married that particular animal. All creatures were shape-shifters and "species" was rather irrelevant.

her husband had named all the animals, including this one, likely after careful study
LOL. Yes, Adam just SCREAMS "scholar". LOL.

Just, ROFLMAO.

Second, if the serpent was lurking in the limbs of the forbidden tree, what conclusion was Eve likely to draw?
I'm reminded of thinking something similar, when it was rightly pointed out to me that the serpent is only in the tree in art. It never says he's in the tree in the text.

We cannot know for sure what Eve thought or whether the snake had taken a bite of the fruit, but we do know that when the serpent told Eve that the fruit would make her “like God,” she was prepared to believe the lie."
Except that's what God confirms later. If the serpent is lying, so is God. The fruit was never fatal like God said it was. He just didn't want to share superpowers.

Explains a lot.

OtherSheep

<--@ Titangel

. . . where you get the impression that the Bible is to be taken literally. Is there some passage that clearly instructs the reader to take every word, idea, and account literally?

Jeremias 38:34 "And they shall not at all teach every one his fellow citizen, and every one his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them"

Skwim

Veteran Member
Skwim said:
. where you get the impression that the Bible is to be taken literally. Is there some passage that clearly instructs the reader to take every word, idea, and account literally?

Jeremias 38:34 "And they shall not at all teach every one his fellow citizen, and every one his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them"
Boy, I don't see the relevance of your answer at all.

OtherSheep

<--@ Titangel
Boy, I don't see the relevance of your answer at all.

If every man thought what was right in his own eyes, how can they all have been taught by God about God? Could they all even be said to be one, as the Father and Son are one, if they each had different interpretations based upon his or her own imagination? Since Jesus teaches us the meaning of what the Father had taught Moses, and the Holy Spirit teaches us what Jesus' sayings mean... the message itself is one... having come from the same "one shepherd" to His "one flock" (John 10).

There is no room for things other than literal unless the phrase is distinctly a metaphor. And as we all seem able to tell when such things occur in works of fiction, we must also be able to tell when they occur in the Bible. The only reason for creating smoke and mirrors where none truly can exist is for the purpose of deception.

Skwim

Veteran Member
If every man thought what was right in his own eyes, how can they all have been taught by God about God? Could they all even be said to be one, as the Father and Son are one, if they each had different interpretations based upon his or her own imagination? Since Jesus teaches us the meaning of what the Father had taught Moses, and the Holy Spirit teaches us what Jesus' sayings mean... the message itself is one... having come from the same "one shepherd" to His "one flock" (John 10).

There is no room for things other than literal unless the phrase is distinctly a metaphor. And as we all seem able to tell when such things occur in works of fiction, we must also be able to tell when they occur in the Bible. The only reason for creating smoke and mirrors where none truly can exist is for the purpose of deception.
In as much as no two translation of god's word are identical, which do you prefer? For instance, English language Bibles offer ten different interpretations of the Hebrew ra in Isaiah 45:7,

"7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things."​

none of which are identical in meaning.

"Adversity"
"Bad times"
"Calamity"
"Disaster(s)"
"Discord"
"Doom"
"Evil"
"Hard times"
"Troubles"
"Woe"​

So, which is to be taken literally?

OtherSheep

<--@ Titangel
In as much as no two translation of god's word are identical, which do you prefer? For instance, English language Bibles offer ten different interpretations of the Hebrew ra in Isaiah 45:7,

This is a parallelism:

"I am He that prepared light, and formed darkness;
... ... ... ... ... who make peace, and create evil" (LXX)

Strong's Concordance
kakos: bad, evil
Original Word: κακός, ή, όν
Part of Speech: Adjective
Transliteration: kakos
Phonetic Spelling: (kak-os')
Definition: bad, evil
Usage: bad, evil, in the widest sense.

God created both trees of the Garden of Eden.

Genesis 2:17 "but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil—of it ye shall not eat, but in whatsoever day ye eat of it, ye shall surely die."

Esaias7:14 "Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; behold, a virgin shall conceive in the womb, and shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call His name Emmanuel. 15 Butter and honey shall he eat, before he knows either to prefer evil or choose the good."

Now, God tells us to make our choice.

Light
Jon.1:5 "And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not."
Peace
Jon.14:27 "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

Mat.10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. ... 10:36 And a man's foes they of his own household.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
This is a parallelism:

"I am He that prepared light, and formed darkness;
... ... ... ... ... who make peace, and create evil" (LXX)

Strong's Concordance
kakos: bad, evil
Original Word: κακός, ή, όν
Part of Speech: Adjective
Transliteration: kakos
Phonetic Spelling: (kak-os')
Definition: bad, evil
Usage: bad, evil, in the widest sense.

God created both trees of the Garden of Eden.

Genesis 2:17 "but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil—of it ye shall not eat, but in whatsoever day ye eat of it, ye shall surely die."

Esaias7:14 "Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; behold, a virgin shall conceive in the womb, and shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call His name Emmanuel. 15 Butter and honey shall he eat, before he knows either to prefer evil or choose the good."

Now, God tells us to make our choice.

Light
Jon.1:5 "And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not."
Peace
Jon.14:27 "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

Mat.10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. ... 10:36 And a man's foes they of his own household.

SO WHAT?

Obviously you refuse to understand the point, so there's no use in going on.

Have a nice day.

Milton Platt

Same evidence that you "may" hold to:

1. Universe started on its own?
2. Humans don't have a spirit and don't live forever?
Same evidence that you "may" hold to:

1. Universe started on its own?
I do believe that the evidence we currently have supports what is colloquially called the "Big Bang Theory". There are other models as well. I do not know which one will ultimately prove to be correct. I'm no a physicist or cosmologist, so ultimately, I would have to answer "I don't really know" to that question. But you dodged the question. Evidence for your claim please?

2. Humans don't have a spirit and don't live forever?
I have seen no sound scientific evidence for a soul or for living forever. I have asked you for the evidence that such a thing is true. You declined to provide that, as well.

OtherSheep

<--@ Titangel
Obviously you refuse to understand the point, so there's no use in going on.

God created Οὐρανός as well as Ζεύς... so that you would have to choose.

And with every anti Ἰησοῦς thread, you make that choice.

Οὐρανός = dark sky
Ζεύς = bright sky... and the sky itself, according to what is termed mythology.

Last edited: