• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible Fails

Galateasdream

What bible fail is the most 'oof!' in your opinion?

Imagine you could only point to one issue with the bible to convince someone that it was flawed and not inerrent. What is the most damning biblical mistake that really can't be harmonised, contextualised, or explained away?

It can be a contradiction, moral failing, unhistorical event, scientific error, misquote, or whatever.

sooda

Veteran Member

Imagine you could only point to one issue with the bible to convince someone that it was flawed and not inerrent. What is the most damning biblical mistake that really can't be harmonised, contextualised, or explained away?

It can be a contradiction, moral failing, unhistorical event, scientific error, misquote, or whatever.

In Galatians 6:2, Paul commands us to carry each other's burdens, then in 6:5 says each person should carry his own load ...

sooda

Veteran Member
How many pairs of clean animals did God tell Noah to take into the Ark?

• Two (Genesis 6:19, 20)
  • Seven (Genesis 7:2). But despite this last instruction only two pairs went into the ark (Genesis 7:8-9)

sooda

Veteran Member
Did Joshua and the Israelites capture Jerusalem?

• Yes (Joshua 10:23, 40)
  • No (Joshua 15:63)

Heyo

Veteran Member
According to some Christians reading and following the Bible will make people more moral. Observations don't bear that out. Therefore
The Bible fails at being a source for morality.

Darkforbid

How many pairs of clean animals did God tell Noah to take into the Ark?

• Two (Genesis 6:19, 20)
  • Seven (Genesis 7:2). But despite this last instruction only two pairs went into the ark (Genesis 7:8-9)

That's basically if you're going to eat any take more

Darkforbid

According to some Christians reading and following the Bible will make people more moral. Observations don't bear that out. Therefore
The Bible fails at being a source for morality.

It's claims to be the news of God nothing more

3rdAngel

I would say you making a thread like this and calling yourself a Christian trying to deny the very words of God you claim to believe and follow - shameful

3rdAngel

Christians don't have to be blind.

Many are though. Many call themselves Christian in name only and by their actions deny Gods' Word and teachings and try to lead others to do the same. These are not Christian in my view but wolves in sheeps clothing yet they may not even know it. By their fruit we are told we will know them. What is the fruit of our actions we should be asking ourselves. We are warned about people like this who call themselves christians but are not in the scriptures *ACTS 20:29

Heyo

Veteran Member
It's claims to be the news of God nothing more
Some bibles claim to be "holy scripture" in the subtitle and I can conceive of some to claim to be "the news of God" (though I don't know of any). We could argue if the Bible fails at being "the news of God" (as you claim) but the OP asked about what I think is the biggest failure.
You don't seem to mind and even deny that Christians claim the bible to be a source of morality. I guess we can agree that the Bible is not a tool to teach morality, can't we? The argument would be if we should call it a failure.

sooda

Veteran Member
Many are though. Many call themselves Christian in name only and by their actions deny Gods' Word and teachings and try to lead others to do the same. These are not Christian in my view but wolves in sheeps clothing. We are warned about these people in the scriptures *ACTS 20:29

If the Bible contains contradictions, it contains contradictions. It also containsmany anachronisms and errors of geography. It is what it is.

3rdAngel

If the Bible contains contradictions, it contains contradictions. It also containsmany anachronisms and errors of geography. It is what it is.
I do not see contradictions only misinterpretation and making comparisons to things of today that were different to things of yesterday. Your words are a contradiction to your faith. You have more in common it seems with Athiests IMO. Why call yourself Christian when you do not believe Gods' Word? This in itself is a contradiction. Where are you leading people by what you post to God or away from God? - What is your fruit?

Darkforbid

It really takes a lot of nerve to try and defend marrying your rapist, takes all types I guess!!

Thanks

And your solution would be what? Let the achient Jews social services look after the girl. Maybe not but I await your logical solution

sooda

Veteran Member
I do not see contradictions only misinterpretation and making comparisons to things of today that were different to things of yesterday. Your words are a contradiction to your faith. You have more in common it seems with Athiests IMO. Why call yourself Christian when you do not believe Gods' Word? This in itself is a contradiction. Where are you leading people by what you post to God or away from God? - What is your fruit?

Nothing to do with comparisons today..... contradictions within the Bible. It was redacted and amended many times before the birth of Christ.

Are you superstitious or on the level of a bronze age human?