• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible encourages drunkenness

djewleu

Well. Did you know that?
This is a godly recommendation in times of POVERTY, stress, bitterness, terminal illness, and whatever else worries you to death.
It is inspired scripture from God, is it not?
[God looked at the extremely poor, and instead of resolving the social ill, inspired the holy writer to suggest DRUNKENNESS!]

“Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, And wine unto the bitter in soul: Let him drink, and forget his poverty, And remember his misery no more.” Proverbs 31:6-7 [ASV].

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Well. Did you know that?
This is a godly recommendation in times of POVERTY, stress, bitterness, terminal illness, and whatever else worries you to death.
It is inspired scripture from God, is it not?
[God looked at the extremely poor, and instead of resolving the social ill, inspired the holy writer to suggest DRUNKENNESS!]

“Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, And wine unto the bitter in soul: Let him drink, and forget his poverty, And remember his misery no more.” Proverbs 31:6-7 [ASV].

Don't ask me why but I'm answering your thread once again....
Sweetie your taking it out of context.....God wasn't promoting being drunk ....He was saying this in the terms as the wine was to be used as medicine....remember you couldn't run to the drug store on the corner

But you know I'm so happy that your spending all this time reading the Bible in order to come up with all these misconceptions....Keep up the good work....:D

djewleu

Don't ask me why but I'm answering your thread once again....
Sweetie your taking it out of context.....God wasn't promoting being drunk ....He was saying this in the terms as the wine was to be used as medicine....remember you couldn't run to the drug store on the corner

But you know I'm so happy that your spending all this time reading the Bible in order to come up with all these misconceptions....Keep up the good work....:D

Oh, oh!...
No drug store around, but plenty of STRONG DRINK to sell!
God's kingdom of Israel, and his "Chosen People"!
Oh, oh!...
No better solution, no.
God of Israel, who saw the first miserable arrive in his special kingdom, but unable to help.
Nice Jehovah god, that one of Israel!
YOU are misquoting the scriptures of Israel!!
You ADDED your addendum.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Oh, oh!...
No drug store around, but plenty of STRONG DRINK to sell!
God's kingdom of Israel, and his "Chosen People"!
Oh, oh!...
No better solution, no.
God of Israel, who saw the first miserable arrive in his special kingdom, but unable to help.
Nice Jehovah god, that one of Israel!
YOU are misquoting the scriptures of Israel!!
You ADDED your addendum.
Me thinks you are rambling again.....;)
YOU are misquoting and misinterpreting the scriptures Kind Sir....:yes:

You are quite the challenge, never know what you'll come up with next...

Northern Papist

Grand Inquisitor
Here, when speaking to kings who make laws, God advises against a complete prohibition of alcoholic drink, because strong drink is appropriate for someone near death and wine is appropriate for someone in great sorrow. No doubt, considering their effects, the intended beverages are alcoholic.

The occasion for strong drink pictures someone in great pain caused by a fatal wound or illness. The writer recommends strong drink to relieve pain that would otherwise be unbearable.

The occasion for wine should not be misunderstood. The passage is not talking about a sorrow linked to either a recurring depression or a chronic state of poverty, for drinking aggravates both conditions. Rather, it is talking about a grief caused by sudden overwhelming loss, either of loved ones or possessions. Today, a victim of such loss might be given a sedative. Yet a believer need not rely on the help of drugs to endure great sorrow. Following David's example when the Amalekites stole his family and wealth, he can encourage himself in the Lord (1 Sam. 30:6).

I cannot post links to sources right now sadly. The above stands true. The Bible does not encourage drunkenness. It allows for moderation and appreciation of alcohol.

Christ's blessings, Mary's prayers,
Northern Papist

Deukal

As entire political and religious groups have interpreted biblical scripture to their cause just like this, i would say the phrase has many interpretations and has hypocrisy on both sides.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Going to have to side with djewleu on this one.

God sends His only begotten son, whose talent just happens to be turning water into wine.

Wake up people!

The apostles didn't follow him because of his sermons.

djewleu

Then we have Jesus supplying an extra SIX HUNDRED liters of wine to the already intoxicated guests.
If there were 100 of them, here comes six more liters of excellent wine per drinker! John 2.
Mary asked for the extra wine!
She was young, 46, and still very attractive when she danced in weddings [showing her gorgeous legs and firm breasts].
The disciples were amazed [and drunk; for it was in that stupor that they agreed Jesus could only be the Messiah].
The crudest part of this weirdest fable is verse 11:
“This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him.”
See?
Promoting alcohol abuse in weddings was Jesus’ way to manifest his glory to lead his disciples to believe!
Nice gospel!…

Archer

Take it in context!!!! I could reply all day but why? To save someone you are misleading? Perhaps.

The Bible is one, to be taken as a whole. There are many places where it clarifies points, and there is no need to co into that.

Find all scripture pertaining to alcohol and you will find balance.

djewleu

Take it in context!!!! I could reply all day but why? To save someone you are misleading? Perhaps.

The Bible is one, to be taken as a whole. There are many places where it clarifies points, and there is no need to co into that.

Intelligent folk would immediately understand that the Bible is no God's holy book.
Why would God "balance out" its teaching, instead of going directly to the bloody point!!!
We would understand CLEAR LANGUAGE, for Pete's sake!!!!
Why worship a god with so much sophism and reticence...?!
It is the wrong choreography.
The Bible will be outlawed and burned in heaven.
PS: This sick planet deserved a better god, I tell you!

Pacificus

The bible is one? The bible wasn't written in the same time or place or by the same person. It is anything but one. It is anything but balanced.

Archer

Intelligent folk would immediately understand that the Bible is no God's holy book.
Why would God "balance out" its teaching, instead of going directly to the bloody point!!!
We would understand CLEAR LANGUAGE, for Pete's sake!!!!
Why worship a god with so much sophism and reticence...?!
It is the wrong choreography.
The Bible will be outlawed and burned in heaven.
PS: This sick planet deserved a better god, I tell you!

It is the people that are the problem not the God. The bible is clear to me, and yes it does in places condone drinking but it does set limits. It is not what goes into the mouth!!!! But the crap that comes out that defiles. Hint!!!!

The bible is one? The bible wasn't written in the same time or place or by the same person. It is anything but one. It is anything but balanced.

Have you read it in it's entirety? Cross referenced with a concordance? Studied with a Greek, Arabic, Hebrew dictionary? Used a dictionary of word origins? If you had you would understand my statement.

Yes there seem to be contradictions but one must be intelligent enough to understand the audience that the particular text is addressing. When you figure out how to think for yourself without being influenced by others you will come to an understanding one way or another.

I have some legitimate stances against religion but most here are just trolling to see if they can stir up trouble and shake someones faith.

djewleu

Correct.
The Bible is a WEAPON to injure innocent people with all sorts of hurt.
Millions of souls were disturbed by its horrors.
The Bible & cousin Koran will be banned and burned in heaven; I have no doubts!

Mr Cheese

holy spirit:

hendricks-bottle-290107.jpg