• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible double day is proven by top Science in 1890 by C. Totten

questfortruth

You open yourself to the argument that if the long day can be shown not to have happened, God, Religion, Church are refuted, no?

And the short answer to Charlie Totten is: if his explanation were correct in modern scientific terms (although it wasn't correct even according to the science of his say) then it would be orthodoxy and we'd know when and how the earth ceased rotating for 23 hours and a bit. But the physical consequences would have been be utterly catastrophic, utterly unmissable. Picture for example the momentum of the water in the oceans, traveling eastward with the earth's rotation at 1037 mph at the equator, continuing east while the earth's rotation suddenly ceases, and humans, animals and objects all flung eastward at such speeds as the ground under them simply stopped. Even Joshua would have blinked at such a massacre.

I found this summary of Totten's book by Robert C. Newman, a christian and a scientist:

Reading Totten's book brought another surprise: [Totten's earlier] dramatic story of a skeptic convinced does not appear. Instead, Totten himself, a non-skeptic all along, seeks to show that a total of 24 hours is missing from past time, of which 23 hours and 20 minutes were lost in Joshua's day and 40 minutes at the time of Hezekiah. Totten does not actually reproduce the calculations by which he seeks to prove his 'case'; he merely gives the results. On pages 39, 59, and 61 of the third edition, the fact emerges that Totten relies on an assumed date of creation – the autumnal equinox, September 22, 4000 BC (p.61) – as the 'known' fixed point before the long day of Joshua. Taking the first day of creation to be a Sunday, by his understanding of Scripture, and finding that by calculating back from the present, September 22, 4000 BC would fall on a Monday, Totten concludes, "It can come so by no possible mathematics without the interpolation or 'intercalation' of exactly 24 hours" (p.59).
Not much sign of science in Totten then, you'd have to agree.
All this must be rechecked, because I do not trust a skeptic. And I do not trust the Trump.

questfortruth

If you can't provide a strong reason in less than a few paragraphs why this book is worth my time, then why would I bother reading it? I may as well go read about how astrology is totally real or how 9/11 was cgi if I am expected to study every absurd notion presented to me without being given reason to.
This book proves it all, so dedicate the time.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Do they refer to C.Totten? Do they mention the Totten contribution? If not, then Nihilism nihilated the Totten.

Totten is indeed referred to. It's pretty amazing/indicative that you expect people to read a 274 page book but can't be bothered checking summarised rebuttals.

Why bother posting at all? You're just looking for an echo chamber.

Socratic Berean

Occasional thinker, perpetual seeker
Quest,

This bit of work has been heavily criticized and rejected by serious Christian apologists for quite some time. A similar retread of the story involving alleged NASA calculations surfaced some years later; it, too, has been put out to pasture by believers.
Here's a link to an article, by Christian researchers, that puts the issue to bed.

Reasons To Believe : Joshua's Long Day and the NASA Computers: Is the Story True?

SB

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
All this must be rechecked, because I do not trust a skeptic. And I do not trust the Trump.
I'm the skeptic here.

The author of the passage I quoted is, as I mentioned, a Christian and a scientist.

To the best of my knowledge and understanding, neither he nor I is Donald Trump.

But if you still want to allege that the earth stopped rotating for most of a day within human records, then you'll need to point us to evidence of the kinds of catastrophic result I mentioned. And If you're right, there must be literally billions of examples of such evidence, though I can't say I've noticed any.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Prove it.

I don't have to - Socratic Berean gave a CHRISTIAN link debunking the book in his post # 49.

The book is full of bull.

But what is funny - is that no miracle took place here, and the shadow going backward on the shadow stairs - was probably a solar eclipse.

They were well aware of when these took place, = thus Isaiah just had use the eclipse info to look like a prophet/seer.

2Ki 20:8 And Hezekiah said unto Isaiah, What shall be the sign that the LORD will heal me, and that I shall go up into the house of the LORD the third day?

I have info on the other verse saved somewhere, but I will have to look for it.

Last edited:

Socratic Berean

Occasional thinker, perpetual seeker
I don't have to - Socratic Berean gave a CHRISTIAN link debunking the book in his post # 49.

The book is full of bull.

But what is funny - is that no miracle took place here, and the shadow going backward on the shadow stairs - was probably a solar eclipse.

They were well aware of when these took place, = thus Isaiah just had use the eclipse info to look like a prophet/seer.

2Ki 20:8 And Hezekiah said unto Isaiah, What shall be the sign that the LORD will heal me, and that I shall go up into the house of the LORD the third day?

I have info on the other verse saved somewhere, but I will have to look for it.

Allow me to clarify. I do not argue that the Biblical account is incorrect, from the perspective of the author and audience (no writer composes in a vacuum, after all, and we must apply principles of sound exegesis to correctly understand the account), but recent efforts to explain what happened (scientifically) have fallen short...so far.

jonathan180iq

This book proves it all, so dedicate the time.
Please quote your favorite supporting paragraph from the book... Copy and paste - summarize - dowhatever you want to do.

I think all of the readers here would be very interested in finding out what you thought was the most convincing part of the book that you obviously read so diligently.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Allow me to clarify. I do not argue that the Biblical account is incorrect, from the perspective of the author and audience (no writer composes in a vacuum, after all, and we must apply principles of sound exegesis to correctly understand the account), but recent efforts to explain what happened (scientifically) have fallen short...so far.

Actually a solar eclipses make perfect sense for the shadow going backward and then back again.

As I said, I have info for the other one saved somewhere as well. I just have to find it. I think it had something to do with the way the Jewish day is split and the added fanciful language.

In other words something like the day was so wondrous it seemed to stand still. And defeating such an army in that amount of time is a wonder.