1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Bible double day is proven by top Science in 1890 by C. Totten

Discussion in 'Science and Religion' started by questfortruth, Jul 30, 2017.

1. questfortruth

questfortruth Active Member

Ratings:
    +120
    Religion:
    Eastern Orthodox Christianity
  2. Labourwave

Ratings:
    +3,444
    Do you have any evidence you can display in your own words?
    Sounds like an extreme claim, and I don't imagine many are going to read 274 pages in order to engage with this thread.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,640
    Religion:
    Non-theist

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. leibowde84

leibowde84 Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,454
    Religion:
    Agnostic Atheist
    Why does proving this long day prove that God, religion and the church are right? It seems like you are saying that proving part of the whole proves the whole is right, but I will assume you aren't doing that, as that is merely a well-known logical fallacy.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care

Ratings:
    +11,640
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    Even the author of the linked book didn't reveal his delusional 'calculations'.

Note the date of the book.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Lucian Hodoboc

Ratings:
    +79
    Religion:
    Christianity
    You're one of those skeptics that could see Jesus walk on water and say that it's only because He can't swim. No amount of evidence will convince you.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. lewisnotmiller

lewisnotmiller Grand Hat

Ratings:
    +7,651
    Religion:
    Atheist
    So you support this then, do you? Or are you skeptical of nothing, and see any skepticism in others as suspicious? Either way would seem to be problematic.

What's your opinion of these articles?
    Reasons To Believe : Joshua's Long Day and the NASA Computers: Is the Story True?
    Has the “Missing Day” in Joshua been proven scientifically?

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Crazy Diamond

Ratings:
    +18,438
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    FYI, you're saying that to someone who identifies as Christian.

• Like Like x 2
  9. It Aint Necessarily So

It Aint Necessarily So Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,401
    Religion:
    None
    I already know without looking at the link that it doesn't prove what it claims to prove.

How? If it were true, I would have learned about it before now. Proof of such a celestial miracle would have made basic science books and be common knowledge among those that read science.

I'm also familiar with the agenda, ethics, and methods of Christian apologetics, none of which I respect enough to trust anything that originates from such a source. I never go to them for information.

Why? Besides the reasons just given, there is nothing that is known to be true that is known only to Christian apologists. They discover nothing. If it's on an apologetics website and its true, it was imported from somewhere else and can be found in places not promoting religion. Link me to such mutually acceptable sources instead. If it's a claim of fact found only on a Christian apologetics site (or book), it's not believable.

Past performance matters. Reputation matters.

#9 It Aint Necessarily So, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 4
  10. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care

Ratings:
    +11,640
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    And you are one of those believers that takes everything said at face value. No amount of evidence against will convince you.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Rival

Rival Noachide

Ratings:
    +13,827
    Religion:
    בת נח
    Even if it were proven, it would not prove Christianity.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. shunyadragon

shunyadragon Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,197
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    No, he knew where the rocks were.

#12 shunyadragon, Jul 30, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,426
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    FYI

Totten, Charles Adiel Lewis:

"Charles Adelle Lewis Totten (February 3, 1851 – April 12, 1908) was an American military officer, a professor of military tactics, a prolific writer, and an influential early advocate of British Israelism.

After a leave of absence [from military service], Totten resigned his commission in August 1893 and settled in Milford, Connecticut with his office in New Haven. He devoted most of his remaining life to writing, chiefly on biblical chronology, biblical prophecy, the Great Pyramid, British Israelism, the symbolism of the Great Seal of the United States and other esoteric subjects.

He was a prolific author, writing over 180 books and articles, including a massive 26 volume series entitled "Our Race" defending British Israelism, and his writings continue to exert influence in some Christian Zionist circles. Totten's works were read and embraced by Mary Baker Eddy, the founder of the Christian Science Church. British Israelism was later embraced by Herbert W. Armstrong, founder of the Worldwide Church of God and the white supremacist Christian Identity movement.
    "
    Source: Wikipedia​

Assessment: OCD fruitcake.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,197
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Unfortunately there is no proof for any religious or miraculous claim of any religion.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Lucian Hodoboc

Ratings:
    +79
    Religion:
    Christianity
    That's a non sequitur. There are many true things that are not popular, and there have always been in the history of mankind. Value of truth and popularity are not necessarily related.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,197
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Though ancient mythology passed off as truth is very popular.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Labourwave

Ratings:
    +3,444
    I think that's a conveinient way of characterizing an ideological oponent in order to invalidate them, but I doubt it has much place in reality.

Why on earth would a Christian demand further evidence if they witnessed a legitimate miracle?
    They wouldn't. Unless it was some sort of shoddy miracle that a charlatan could perform.

Why do you think @leibowde84 would just demand more evidence?
    Being given proof of god is something that anyone would jump at, it's not like scepticism is some intentional attempt to commit heresy. It's a pursuit of truth.

So, unless you are claiming that Leibowde is some sort of solipsist or epistemological nihilist then I don't think your point is anything more than a personal attack.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Bompu Zen Man with a little bit of Bushido.

Ratings:
    +8,792
    Religion:
    Zen Buddhism
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. YmirGF

YmirGF Bodhisattva

Ratings:
    +14,868
    Religion:
    Beyond the Light
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. blü 2

blü 2 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,813
    Religion:
    Skeptical
    You open yourself to the argument that if the long day can be shown not to have happened, God, Religion, Church are refuted, no?

And the short answer to Charlie Totten is: if his explanation were correct in modern scientific terms (although it wasn't correct even according to the science of his say) then it would be orthodoxy and we'd know when and how the earth ceased rotating for 23 hours and a bit. But the physical consequences would have been be utterly catastrophic, utterly unmissable. Picture for example the momentum of the water in the oceans, traveling eastward with the earth's rotation at 1037 mph at the equator, continuing east while the earth's rotation suddenly ceases, and humans, animals and objects all flung eastward at such speeds as the ground under them simply stopped. Even Joshua would have blinked at such a massacre.

I found this summary of Totten's book by Robert C. Newman, a christian and a scientist:

Reading Totten's book brought another surprise: [Totten's earlier] dramatic story of a skeptic convinced does not appear. Instead, Totten himself, a non-skeptic all along, seeks to show that a total of 24 hours is missing from past time, of which 23 hours and 20 minutes were lost in Joshua's day and 40 minutes at the time of Hezekiah. Totten does not actually reproduce the calculations by which he seeks to prove his 'case'; he merely gives the results. On pages 39, 59, and 61 of the third edition, the fact emerges that Totten relies on an assumed date of creation – the autumnal equinox, September 22, 4000 BC (p.61) – as the 'known' fixed point before the long day of Joshua. Taking the first day of creation to be a Sunday, by his understanding of Scripture, and finding that by calculating back from the present, September 22, 4000 BC would fall on a Monday, Totten concludes, "It can come so by no possible mathematics without the interpolation or 'intercalation' of exactly 24 hours" (p.59).
    Not much sign of science in Totten then, you'd have to agree.

#20 blü 2, Jul 30, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1