• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible & Critical Thinking

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
OK... NOW we are talking. Let's look at it critically.

Do animals have a language by which they communicate by?
Ok, so take us on the leap that will bring us home. How does animal communication suddenly jump to a fluency in a human language? There's nothing strange about that. It happens all the time. In fantasy land.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
That's nice, but time for a plot twist: I believe in God. I don't accept the Bible for the most part. Whether my picture of God is very Abrahamic is debatable.
As you don't answer questions. Nice.

InChrist

Free4ever
Numbers 22:28-30 New International Version (NIV)
28 Then the Lord opened the donkey’s mouth, and it said to Balaam, “What have I done to you to make you beat me these three times?”

29 Balaam answered the donkey, “You have made a fool of me! If only I had a sword in my hand, I would kill you right now.”

30 The donkey said to Balaam, “Am I not your own donkey, which you have always ridden, to this day? Have I been in the habit of doing this to you?”

“No,” he said.

----

Genesis 38:9-10 New International Version (NIV)
9 But Onan knew that the child would not be his; so whenever he slept with his brother’s wife, he spilled his [seed] on the ground to keep from providing offspring for his brother.10 What he did was wicked in the Lord’s sight; so the Lord put him to death also.

---

Question: Is Bible fundamentalism compatible with Critical Thinking?

View attachment 29961
Yes.
Often it takes a lot of critical thinking, along with prayer and insight from the Holy Spirit, if one desires to get beyond superficial, surface reading and understand the point God is making in certain passages of the scriptures.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Yes.
Often it takes a lot of critical thinking, along with prayer and insight from the Holy Spirit, if one desires to get beyond superficial, surface reading and understand the point God is making in certain passages of the scriptures.

Alright. If you can critical think, tell me the point.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Guys, Balaam could have been adopted when he was a kid by a tribe of donkeys and because of that he grew up speaking donkey. See it all can be explained rationally.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I don't understand the language of it.
After reading it over a couple of times and knowing that he likes a literal view of things, I guess he is saying that God used Systran translation software so that Donkey could be translated into a language that Balaam spoke.

Now a critical analysis that comes to a conclusion that Donkey can be translated to Balaam's language would have to establish that there is a language of the donkey that is of such a structure that it could be translated to a human language. I do not know of any language that an animal is supposed to use that could remotely be said to be similar to human languages. Maybe gibberish.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Maybe Balaam's dad was a donkey and his mom was human and that's why he can speak donkey. It could've happened, guys. See, simple rational apologetics about a guy and a talking donkey.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Numbers 22:28-30 New International Version (NIV)
28 Then the Lord opened the donkey’s mouth, and it said to Balaam, “What have I done to you to make you beat me these three times?”

29 Balaam answered the donkey, “You have made a fool of me! If only I had a sword in my hand, I would kill you right now.”

30 The donkey said to Balaam, “Am I not your own donkey, which you have always ridden, to this day? Have I been in the habit of doing this to you?”

“No,” he said.

----

Genesis 38:9-10 New International Version (NIV)
9 But Onan knew that the child would not be his; so whenever he slept with his brother’s wife, he spilled his [seed] on the ground to keep from providing offspring for his brother.10 What he did was wicked in the Lord’s sight; so the Lord put him to death also.

---

Question: Is Bible fundamentalism compatible with Critical Thinking?

View attachment 29961

Looks like a hamster wheel in full tilt. I smell something burning.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Yes what?

Critical thinking would lead you to another conclusion and some critical thinking on mythos and story telling. These fundamentalists are dumb as bloody dirt.
When you think you are wealthy because you are a Christian and poor people are poor because their faith is weak or they want to be poor, a person has pretty much pitched critical thinking right out of the window.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member