• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Bible' believers only: The Covenant of Noah

Shem Ben Noah

INACTIVE
Note: For the purposes of this thread, it is restricted to those who believe in some account of the post-flood covenant God makes with Noah in Genesis 9. It is NOT to be used to debate the historicity of the flood itself, in any way.

What does the Covenant found in Genesis 9 mean to you? Are you in this Covenant and if yes or no why?

For reference:

Source: http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0109.htm#1

Genesis Chapter 9 בְּרֵאשִׁית
א וַיְבָרֶךְ אֱלֹהִים, אֶת-נֹחַ וְאֶת-בָּנָיו; וַיֹּאמֶר לָהֶם פְּרוּ וּרְבוּ, וּמִלְאוּ אֶת-הָאָרֶץ. 1 And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them: 'Be fruitful and multiply, and replenish the earth.
ב וּמוֹרַאֲכֶם וְחִתְּכֶם, יִהְיֶה, עַל כָּל-חַיַּת הָאָרֶץ, וְעַל כָּל-עוֹף הַשָּׁמָיִם; בְּכֹל אֲשֶׁר תִּרְמֹשׂ הָאֲדָמָה וּבְכָל-דְּגֵי הַיָּם, בְּיֶדְכֶם נִתָּנוּ. 2 And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, and upon all wherewith the ground teemeth, and upon all the fishes of the sea: into your hand are they delivered.
ג כָּל-רֶמֶשׂ אֲשֶׁר הוּא-חַי, לָכֶם יִהְיֶה לְאָכְלָה: כְּיֶרֶק עֵשֶׂב, נָתַתִּי לָכֶם אֶת-כֹּל. 3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be for food for you; as the green herb have I given you all.
ד אַךְ-בָּשָׂר, בְּנַפְשׁוֹ דָמוֹ לֹא תֹאכֵלוּ. 4 Only flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.
ה וְאַךְ אֶת-דִּמְכֶם לְנַפְשֹׁתֵיכֶם אֶדְרֹשׁ, מִיַּד כָּל-חַיָּה אֶדְרְשֶׁנּוּ; וּמִיַּד הָאָדָם, מִיַּד אִישׁ אָחִיו--אֶדְרֹשׁ, אֶת-נֶפֶשׁ הָאָדָם. 5 And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it; and at the hand of man, even at the hand of every man's brother, will I require the life of man.
ו שֹׁפֵךְ דַּם הָאָדָם, בָּאָדָם דָּמוֹ יִשָּׁפֵךְ: כִּי בְּצֶלֶם אֱלֹהִים, עָשָׂה אֶת-הָאָדָם. 6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed; for in the image of God made He man.
ז וְאַתֶּם, פְּרוּ וּרְבוּ; שִׁרְצוּ בָאָרֶץ, וּרְבוּ-בָהּ. {ס} 7 And you, be ye fruitful, and multiply; swarm in the earth, and multiply therein.' {S}
ח
וַיֹּאמֶר אֱלֹהִים אֶל-נֹחַ, וְאֶל-בָּנָיו אִתּוֹ לֵאמֹר. 8 And God spoke unto Noah, and to his sons with him, saying:
ט וַאֲנִי, הִנְנִי מֵקִים אֶת-בְּרִיתִי אִתְּכֶם, וְאֶת-זַרְעֲכֶם, אַחֲרֵיכֶם. 9 'As for Me, behold, I establish My covenant with you, and with your seed after you;
י וְאֵת כָּל-נֶפֶשׁ הַחַיָּה אֲשֶׁר אִתְּכֶם, בָּעוֹף בַּבְּהֵמָה וּבְכָל-חַיַּת הָאָרֶץ אִתְּכֶם; מִכֹּל יֹצְאֵי הַתֵּבָה, לְכֹל חַיַּת הָאָרֶץ. 10 and with every living creature that is with you, the fowl, the cattle, and every beast of the earth with you; of all that go out of the ark, even every beast of the earth.
יא וַהֲקִמֹתִי אֶת-בְּרִיתִי אִתְּכֶם, וְלֹא-יִכָּרֵת כָּל-בָּשָׂר עוֹד מִמֵּי הַמַּבּוּל; וְלֹא-יִהְיֶה עוֹד מַבּוּל, לְשַׁחֵת הָאָרֶץ. 11 And I will establish My covenant with you; neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of the flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth.'
יב וַיֹּאמֶר אֱלֹהִים, זֹאת אוֹת-הַבְּרִית אֲשֶׁר-אֲנִי נֹתֵן בֵּינִי וּבֵינֵיכֶם, וּבֵין כָּל-נֶפֶשׁ חַיָּה, אֲשֶׁר אִתְּכֶם--לְדֹרֹת, עוֹלָם. 12 And God said: 'This is the token of the covenant which I make between Me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations:
יג אֶת-קַשְׁתִּי, נָתַתִּי בֶּעָנָן; וְהָיְתָה לְאוֹת בְּרִית, בֵּינִי וּבֵין הָאָרֶץ. 13 I have set My bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between Me and the earth.
יד וְהָיָה, בְּעַנְנִי עָנָן עַל-הָאָרֶץ, וְנִרְאֲתָה הַקֶּשֶׁת, בֶּעָנָן. 14 And it shall come to pass, when I bring clouds over the earth, and the bow is seen in the cloud,
טו וְזָכַרְתִּי אֶת-בְּרִיתִי, אֲשֶׁר בֵּינִי וּבֵינֵיכֶם, וּבֵין כָּל-נֶפֶשׁ חַיָּה, בְּכָל-בָּשָׂר; וְלֹא-יִהְיֶה עוֹד הַמַּיִם לְמַבּוּל, לְשַׁחֵת כָּל-בָּשָׂר. 15 that I will remember My covenant, which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh.
טז וְהָיְתָה הַקֶּשֶׁת, בֶּעָנָן; וּרְאִיתִיהָ, לִזְכֹּר בְּרִית עוֹלָם, בֵּין אֱלֹהִים, וּבֵין כָּל-נֶפֶשׁ חַיָּה בְּכָל-בָּשָׂר אֲשֶׁר עַל-הָאָרֶץ. 16 And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth.'
יז וַיֹּאמֶר אֱלֹהִים, אֶל-נֹחַ: זֹאת אוֹת-הַבְּרִית, אֲשֶׁר הֲקִמֹתִי, בֵּינִי, וּבֵין כָּל-בָּשָׂר אֲשֶׁר עַל-הָאָרֶץ. {פ} 17 And God said unto Noah: 'This is the token of the covenant which I have established between Me and all flesh that is upon the earth.'

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Note: For the purposes of this thread, it is restricted to those who believe in some account of the post-flood covenant God makes with Noah in Genesis 9. It is NOT to be used to debate the historicity of the flood itself, in any way.
What does the Covenant found in Genesis 9 mean to you? Are you in this Covenant and if yes or no why?

Genesis 9:8-10; Genesis 9:11-13; Genesis 9:14-16; Genesis 9:17 means to me that I am in the ' Rainbow Covenant ' or contract which is made ' between God and all flesh ' ( human and animal ) which was represented by Noah and his family at Ararat. The ' rainbow ' is given to us humans as a sign of that covenant contract which endures, or stays in effect, as long as mankind lives on Earth which according to Psalms 37:10-11; Psalms 37:29; Psalms 115:16; Proverbs 2:21-22; Matthew 5:5 is: forever and ever.

12jtartar

Premium Member

For reference:

Source: http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0109.htm#1
The Covenant that God made with Noah is an everlasting Covenant just as is mentioned at Genesis 9:17. As long as we see a Rainbow we should remember the Covenant with Noah, that God will never again destroy all living things.
Now, the term Remnant, mentioned at Romans 9:27, and 11:5, is speaking about the few people of the Jews who would believe in Jesus, as God's Onlybegotten Son, The Christ. God gave the early Christians miraculous powers of the Holy Spirit, so that all the Jews who loved God would understand that God was, from Pentecost 33CE, transferring His blessings from the Jewish Nation, to Christians. Only the Ones who became Christians, of the Jews received any of the great gifts of the Holy Spirit, Acts 2:1-38, 4:10-13. Acts 11:26.
Gad made several other Covenants, but none of them ended the Noah Covenant. The same was the Abrahamic Covenant, as is mentioned at Galatians 3:17,18.

Animore

What does the Covenant found in Genesis 9 mean to you?

I feel this covenant found in Genesis is grace. It means, to me, that we all sin, and through the grace of God (specifically Jesus) that we are forgiven of these transgressions. The Lord in heaven has agreed to give us grace and remain in us, as long as we worship and obey Him. I feel it's showing that God knows the hearts of men, and if we follow Him, seeking Him with our hearts this covenant is revealed to us. However, you've got to keep in mind that God, the Lord in heaven and of heaven is perfectly capable of blessing us before we turn our lives around just as He is capable after. He has a covenant with every living thing on Earth, allows every creature to roam on Earth, blesses them with lungs full of breath.

Are you in this Covenant and if yes or no why?

I would definitely say yes, as I've accepted Christ. However, you've got to keep in mind, a covenant is established within all creatures. However, I think once we accept Christ into our hearts, the covenant evolves into a relationship with God as we turn to seeking God, and running for His heart. God bless.

jtartar

For reference:

Source: Genesis 9 / Hebrew - English Bible / Mechon-Mamre

Shem Ben Noah,
The Conenant stated Genesis 9:8-17, is an Everlasting Covenant between God and all men, just as is stated at Genesis 9:8,12,,16. God up the Rainbow in the heavens as a reminder to God and men. So the Covenant was an Eternal Covenant.
Several other things mentioned by God in the ninth chapter are also meant forever,or until the Lord Jesus comes again, the law on blood, verse 3,4 Law about killing verse 6.
When Jesus comes and judges the earth, we will be given another set of laws we will follow after Armageddon, Revelation 20:12, which we will learn in order to bring ourselves and the earth to the perfect, paradise condition as the Garden of Eden was before the fall of Adam and Eve. We will be helped by the Kings and Priests that are taken to heaven, Revelation 5:9,10, 14:1-5, 20:4-6, 21:1-5.

Shem Ben Noah

INACTIVE
Shem Ben Noah,
The Conenant stated Genesis 9:8-17, is an Everlasting Covenant between God and all men, just as is stated at Genesis 9:8,12,,16. God up the Rainbow in the heavens as a reminder to God and men. So the Covenant was an Eternal Covenant.
Several other things mentioned by God in the ninth chapter are also meant forever,or until the Lord Jesus comes again, the law on blood, verse 3,4 Law about killing verse 6.
When Jesus comes and judges the earth, we will be given another set of laws we will follow after Armageddon, Revelation 20:12, which we will learn in order to bring ourselves and the earth to the perfect, paradise condition as the Garden of Eden was before the fall of Adam and Eve. We will be helped by the Kings and Priests that are taken to heaven, Revelation 5:9,10, 14:1-5, 20:4-6, 21:1-5.

I don't follow Relevation, so let's set aside any new laws, or when such may occur. I take Yeshua at his word when he says heaven & earth will pass away before a dot of an 'i' will change, but I guess how one defines things plays a big part here as usual.

Given that this covenant is eternal, why do you think the prohibition against blood gets so little attention in christianity?

Even Paul warns against eating blood, albeit in an indirect way. (eating things strangled)

rusra02

Premium Member
Yes, I believe the covenant God made with Noah and his sons extends to all mankind. "Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him: “I am now establishing my covenant with you and with your offspring after you, and with every living creature that is with you, the birds, the animals, and all the living creatures of the earth with you, all those that came out of the ark—every living creature of the earth. Yes, I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all flesh be destroyed by the waters of a flood, and never again will a flood bring the earth to ruin.” And God added: “This is the sign of the covenant that I am making between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations. (Genesis 9:8-12)
God thus promised that the earth will never be destroyed by a global flood. I believe God's prohibition on eating blood and murdering fellow humans has likewise never been rescinded.(9:4-6)

pearl

[QUOTE="What does the Covenant found in Genesis 9 mean to you? Are you in this Covenant and if yes or no why?
[/QUOTE]

No obligation is imposed on Noah or on his descendants. God commits himself without reserve, grace. This unconditional commitment on God's part towards creation is the basis of all life.
It is unilateral, without imposing obligations on another, as this promise explicitly includes the animals. It is an everlasting promise.
Interesting is the #40. Catholics will soon enter the 40 days of lent,
40 days of Jesus' being tempted in the wilderness, 40 years of Israel's temptation in the wilderness, Moses is with God on the mountain for 40 days and 40, etc. I think that 40 represents a period grace and mercy.

Electus de Lumine

Magician of Light

For reference:

I am not in this covenant because I deny the authority of Yahweh. His actions where deplorable in this event.

Hawkins

The big picture is that through Adam till Noah the it demonstrates as a witnessing that once humans are put outside God's realm, no one can abide by God's Law to its full. Once humans are put outside God's realm and under the influence of Satan, they have no hope of passing the final judgment to return back to God's realm. Planet earth's sole purpose is thus defeated. Planet earth serves its only purpose of allowing God to openly separate the righteous from the wicked. It's God's field of harvest such that the righteous can be brought to the future heaven legitimately.

If earth's only purpose is defeated and on one can be saved, the only choice left is to destroy it completely instead of allowing sins to grow abundantly. It is thus left as a hell, because hell is the place where salvation ceases to exist.

But not yet, God provided an alternative to avoid the situation (i.e., without leaving earth as hell). Through the to-be-sacrificed Jesus, God can grant His grace to humans by a series of covenants such that earth's purpose revives again. Through His covenants signed by the blood of Jesus, the righteous (such as Noah) can thus be told apart from the wicked. So it is decided that moving forward earth will serve its purpose of allowing the righteous to be identified by a covenant and brought to heaven as God's harvest. That is, with the series of covenants covering the various groups of humans in different eras, everything works again. There's no need to destroy earth as whole as long as it still serves the purpose of soul-saving.

Last edited:

MJFlores

For reference:

The covenant still stands - we see rainbow over the skies after the rain. It is for every living thing on earth.

rainbow.jpg

Genesis 9:11-17 New International Version (NIV)

I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be destroyed by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth.”

And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.”

Everlasting covenant = No more flood waters to destroy all life

fire.jpg

MHz

For reference:

God didn't make a covenant with Noah. The closest that came is when God made the prophecy about the Ark 100 years before it was an event in motion.

God made a covenant with Adam and the law was the one law to do with the trees.
The next covenant was made with Israel when the 10 Commandments became the Law (the old law passed away when the last giant died in the exodus wars) and that follows Ezekiel:37 as far as who is in the whole House of Israel. That covenant included the Passover supper and that was changed during the 'last supper' and the meat offering was changed to bread made from fine barley flour and wine for drinking.

The next covenant that come is the one made with the whole House of Israel on the same day the 7th trump in Re:11 sounds. On that same day the whole group that represents the people that will be alive for the 1,000 years (Re:20:4) will be sinless and immortal and the 10 Commandment that are for believers that sin and believe in God and they die to cover those sins. Starting on day 1 of the 1,000 year reign the Law from Re:21 is the Law that people are under and when the new earth starts after the GWT event at the end of Re:20 it will be the Law that is around for all of the new earth era.

The covenant that Christ makes with the 'small group' is expanded on when God makes the same covenant with all of Adam and Eve's children as the new earth unfolds before them.

The promises to Noah was that God would make sure 5 fingered people were not made extinct by the fallen angels in their vain attempt to stop the 'seed of Eve' from Ge:3:15.

MHz

The covenant was about saving Noah and family to get into the Ark and be saved from the flood waters, nothing more, nothing less. That is a promise made to 5 people. The covenants I mentioned are with a whole people.

It certainly falls short of it being equal to this one?

Heb:8:6-10:
But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant,
which was established upon better promises.
For if that first covenant had been faultless,
then should no place have been sought for the second.
For finding fault with them,
he saith,
Behold,
the days come,
saith the Lord,
when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt;
because they continued not in my covenant,
and I regarded them not,
saith the Lord.
For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days,
saith the Lord;
I will put my laws into their mind,
and write them in their hearts:
and I will be to them a God,
and they shall be to me a people: