• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible Alone.. For Catholic's

Dogknox20

Hi @Dogknox20 and @URAVIP2ME

Dogknox20 said to @URAVIP2ME : " URAVIP2ME I must point out there was only ONE (1) Christian congregation until 1054 A.D.! That ONE Congregation was the ONLY Church Jesus established, it is the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church none other!" (POST #11)

Clear responded : “This is false historically.

Firstly, the “One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church” of Roman claim did not exist in this early period but came into being in later centuries and it was a different church with different aims and procedures, and goals than the original simple roman congregation of the Church of Jesus Christ which was started there centuries before.

Secondly, The first Christian church was the church in Jerusalem and Rome would have been subject to Jerusalem and it’s authority if one is to claim apostolic origins and leadership.

Thirdly, there were many other Churches of Jesus Christ that were older and of higher priority of size and pre-eminence than that of the simple roman congregation. For example, there were churches in Antioch, Alexandria, Ephesus, Thessalonia, Phillipi, Corinth, etc.

Similar points can be made for the many canons that existed and now exist. While the Roman Catholic Church of later centuries certainly had a right to determine the canon it would hold to, it creates no responsibility for other churches to adopt the same canon and they were left free to adopt their own canons, such as the eastern Orthodox/Ethiopian, or the smaller canon of the churches of the Reformation. “ (post #29)

Dogknox20 claimed : “Clear your information is mixed up! Jesus established ONE Church on rock... The (Other) Churches in the scriptures answered to it. “ (post #43)

You claim is irrelevant in that it does not give the congregation in ROME, nor it’s later corrupted organization any additional authority.

1) The Authority upon which the Ancient Church was founded and directed (Eph 2:20)

Of course ancient ecclesiastical authority did NOT center on any single congregation and it’s bishop.
The congregation or Bishop of Antioch did not tell the congregation or bishop of Jerusalem what they were to do.

Rather, the authority which all original christian churches or congregations answered to was the "foundation of apostles and prophets" (Eph 2:20).
Originally, an apostle held the authority to ordain a bishop of a congregation and the bishop was directed by the Apostles. The original Bishop was part a brotherhood of equals and the later office of "bishop" created by the organization in rome had the same name, but was a different type of office and he did not have ecclesiatical authority.

There is no historical evidence that the roman congregation ever gained apostolic authority (despite their claim to have had it). For example, there is no evidence that Peter was ever a standing bishop in Rome and he never transferred his apostolic authority to Linus, who was, historically, the first bishop of rome.

2) The claim that there was “only one Christian Congregation” is historically false

Dogknox20 claimed : “URAVIP2ME I must point out there was only ONE (1) Christian congregation until 1054 A.D.! (post #11)
This is an irrational and historically ignorant claim since there were churches in Antioch, Alexandria, Ephesus, Thessalonia, Phillipi, Corinth, etc.

3) The meaning and use of εκλεσσια or “church” in ancient greek

Ignatius was NOT the first usage of the term Καθολικος (Catholic), but the word was ancient and he was using a common greek word and a common usage.

The word “Church” / εκκλεσια in it’s early form as any “gathering”, any “meeting”, any calling or invitation of a group of people.
In this case, it was a gathering toward principles of true religion and the Roman congregation wis only part of the larger εκλεσσια or gathering that has always gone on.

The organization of later centuries that became a political / religious organization in Rome that adopted the title of “Catholic” was not the same as the original congregation but it had evolved into a different organization with different aims and procedures, and goals than the original simple roman congregation of the Church of Jesus Christ.

The original Church was not bent on gaining riches and political power and did not engage in slavery and oppression of the masses as did the roman congregation.

4) The meaning and usage of the Greek term καθολικ “Catholic” in antiquity

I very much agree with Ignatius at Antioch “Where there is Christ Jesus, there is the Catholic (i.e. universal) Church.” where he describes the “universal gathering” of Christians to Christ. The word “καθολικος” (“Catholic”) in greek usage was not a specific application to the congregation in rome any more than it applied to any other congregation, but instead, the word was used to described the gathering of any and all individuals who gathered to Christ, i.e. the ecclesia.

The Christian concept was “where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” (Matt 18:20). If Christ was in their midst, then THAT gathering was part of the universal (or “catholic) gathering to Christ. It had nothing to do with Antioch, or Jerusalem or rome.

5) The Concept of the gathering in Early Christianity

In the ancient church, 2nd Clement referred to this concept when telling the earliest judeo-christians, that “the Books and the Apostles declare that the church not only exists now, but has been in existence from the beginning. For she was spiritual, as was also our Jesus, but was revealed in the last days in order that she might save us. …” (This gathering toward true principles had been going on long before the roman congregation was in existence (2nd Clement 14:3)

Hermas in his early New Testament (sinaiticus) epistle spoke of the church in describing the gathering as existing from the beginning. He relates :Who do you think the elderly woman from whom you received the little book was?” I said : “The Sibyl.” “You are wrong,” he said. “She is not.” “Then who is she?” I said. “The Church” he replied. I said to him “Why, then, is she elderly?” “Because,” he said, “she was created before all things; therefore she is elderly, and for her sake the world was formed.” (Hermas 8:1)

While I think it was good advertising for the roman organization to adopt this word as part of their title, Ignatius was not describing their congregation nor their later organization that had not yet adopted that term and did not yet exist in the later form it evolved into.

Clear
φυσιακω
Clear your information is mixed up! Jesus established ONE Church on rock... The (Other) Churches in the scriptures answered to it. Paul went around to all (most) teaching the same things!
The Church was built on ROCK.. This means it will always stand it also means it is "Apostolic"!

Ignatius at AntiochWhere there is Christ Jesus, there is the Catholic Church.” This is the earliest known written record of the term “Catholic Church” (written around A.D. 107)

I add; you have lots of information all of it seems come from your head... No facts you wanting things to be true does not make your words facts!

The word "ROMAN" was added to the Catholic Church by English Protestants! Thinking if... The word Roman was added it would thus imply there was other Catholic Churches! The word stuck!
The earliest form was the noun “Romanist” (one belonging to the Catholic Church), which appeared in England about 1515-1525.

Ignatius at AntiochWhere there is Christ Jesus, there is the Catholic Church.” A.D. 107

Clear All other Christian churches reject the ONLY Church Jesus established ON ROCK! Every other church is started by a man that rejects the scriptures they HAVE TO reject the scriptures otherwise there is NO need for their church!
Jesus built on ROCK not on sand this mean the ONLY Church Jesus established did not fall! To say it fell is to say God failed it is believing God lied!
Clear To say the Church failed is to call Jesus a FOOL!
Matthew 7:26
But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.

You are forced to reject the scriptures Matthew 7:26 to say the Church failed!
Matthew 28:20
and teach them to do everything I have told you. I will be with you always, even until the end of the world.

Jesus is ALWAYS with his Church for 2000 years he has REMAINED with his One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church!
You are forced to reject the scriptures to reject the Catholic Church!

YES... there were churches in Antioch, Alexandria, Ephesus, Thessalonia, Phillipi, Corinth, etc. (most) ALL were taught by Paul; all accepted the teaching of the ONLY Church Jesus established! NOT ONE reject the Catholic Church Jesus established! NOT ONE taught do not baptize babies> NOT ONE rejected the flesh of Jesus in the form of bread! All taught the Bishop/Elder had AUTHORITY to remove sins! All had teachers all had AUTHORITY to teach and preach, NOT ONE taught "The scriptures are the ONLY AUTHORITY!" NOT one taught "Faith ALONE" NOT ONE taught "Can't lose salvation!" Not one taught "The flesh of Jesus is symbolic"! Not one taught "Jesus is NOT God"!

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Wildswanderer if you looked at history you will see.... The Church burnt bibles because they were full of errors!
The Quakers burnt little old ladies as witches!
The Protestants in England and France murdered Catholics stole their property! Point fingers..... It comes right back at you!
FACT:
The Catholic Church is built on ROCK not on sand, it Holy and without blame! She is full to the rafters with sinners over 2.2 Billion sinners!

Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— 30 for we are members of his body.

Wildswanderer Jesus loves the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church she is Holy, Jesus died for his bride! He gave himself up for her!
The Catholics killed people for distribution of the scripture.
They made Wycliffe a heretic for speaking the truth.

"England belongs to no pope. The pope is but a man, subject to sin, but Christ is the Lord of Lords and this kingdom is to be held directly and solely of Christ alone."

Dogknox20

The Church needs believers to hold in into account, or the building collapses. We saw that happen with Trinity where the unity of God was abandoned.

It's same with Shiite Scholars now. They have corrupted the religion as well, because, we Shiites blindly follow.

Link Christians have always believed Jesus is God! The topic was brought to a head 400 years after Jesus and it was settled then! Jesus is God/Man!
Satan rejects Jesus he rejects the teaching of Christians! Satan is Anti-Christian much like Muhamad was!
There is ONLY ONE TRUTH 2+2=4 There is One God Jesus!
Jesus died and rose again from death never to die again all United to the risen Jesus will also live forever! Jesus cannot die a second time no one can die twice AS LONG...

Link as long as I am united to the risen Jesus I will also live with him forever!

Dogknox20

Apparently, you are not familiar with what took place with the Protestant Reformation and the periods afterwards. However, I in no way am trying to absolve the Catholic Church of the atrocities done within.
You got it right.. atrocities done within The Church remains Holy and without blame! Full with sinners all in need of salvation!

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Link Christians have always believed Jesus is God! The topic was brought to a head 400 years after Jesus and it was settled then! Jesus is God/Man!
Satan rejects Jesus he rejects the teaching of Christians! Satan is Anti-Christian much like Muhamad was!
There is ONLY ONE TRUTH 2+2=4 There is One God Jesus!
Jesus died and rose again from death never to die again all United to the risen Jesus will also live forever! Jesus cannot die a second time no one can die twice AS LONG...

Link as long as I am united to the risen Jesus I will also live with him forever!

You love your scholars more then God because they are from your people and culture, and use Jesus (a) to justify your culture of rejecting Mohammad (S) and his successors (a).

Nothing new of polytheism and it's people. You needed trinity to make holy ghost something mysterious beyond understanding as to reject the clear Prophecies for Mohammad (S) in the gospels.

Dogknox20

The Catholics killed people for distribution of the scripture.
They made Wycliffe a heretic for speaking the truth.

"England belongs to no pope. The pope is but a man, subject to sin, but Christ is the Lord of Lords and this kingdom is to be held directly and solely of Christ alone."

Wildswanderer good to meet you...
Scriptures are clear.. "The Church Jesus established is built on ROCK not on sand!" The ONLY Church with a 2000 years history is the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church!
You have placed the salvation of your soul on the teachings of a man who rejected the Body of Jesus!

Sure you have concerns, history proves there were many sinners on both sides of the argument! Men are sinners, the Catholic Church is filled with 2.2 Billion sinners all in need of salvation!
Wildswanderer To be OUTSIDE of the Body of Jesus means you cannot at the same time be INSIDE! The Pope is also a sinner! Peter was a sinner, that did not stop Jesus from proclaiming Peter the Shepherd of God' holy flock! It did not stop Jesus from handing the KEYS with the Authority of heaven to Peter; the sinner!

Jesus established only ONE Church before he ascended into heaven it can only be the ONLY Church with roots going back to Peter! None other!

Dogknox20

You love your scholars more then God because they are from your people and culture, and use Jesus (a) to justify your culture of rejecting Mohammad (S) and his successors (a).

Nothing new of polytheism and it's people. You needed trinity to make holy ghost something mysterious beyond understanding as to reject the clear Prophecies for Mohammad (S) in the gospels.
Link you are mistaken... "God is LOVE!" No one can have PERFECT love if they only love themselves! Love means you Give of yourself to another person!
God is PERFECT!
God also cannot love himself if he did he would not be PERFECT he would NOT be God! If there is PERFECT Love you need at the least "TWO" two people have perfect love! BUT.....

Link but love creates love produces it creates! The Word created all things!
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.

The Love of God created; the love of God and Word means the Holy Spirit is the fruit of this PERFECT LOVE!
Logic alone proves this true...
Muhmad and Islam reject a loving god! Satan rejects LOVE also! Islam is the hands and voice of Satan the Anti-Christ is Anti-Christian because Christians teach LOVE saves!

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.

A better translation:

In the beginning was the Word, the word was with his exalted ones, and the word was the exalted ones. It was with the exalted ones in the beginning. Through it all things were made, without it nothing was made that has been made. In it was life and that life was the light of all humanity.

This about the tree of life who were the tree of knowledge, the exalted ones Adam (a) wanted to be of. And God's Name/word was with them and they were God's Name from another sense.

And he created everything from this light, all beings are created from the light.

This is about Mohammad (s) and his family (a), and that reality of God's light was then vested in all his chosen ones, from Adam (a) to Jesus (a), they were entrusted with the word of God, the light of God in Mohammad (s) and his family (a).

Jesus (a) was instance of God's Name like Samuel (a), and hence the word of God brought to life in him, but he is not the only one.

Last edited:

Clear

Premium Member
Hi @Dogknox20 , @URAVIP2ME , and @Wildswanderer

Dogknox20 repeated the talking point : "Clear your information is mixed up! Jesus established ONE Church on rock..."

1) The Church in Rome which engaged in oppression and slavery and sought for political power and riches was not the "ONE Church"
Of course there is ONE global, universal gathering / ecclesia to Jesus.
This is irrelevant since it is not the roman Church that is being referenced.

The organization later known as the Roman (i.e. rome based) "Catholic Church" of later centuries which engaged in slavery and oppression and sought for political power over other churches did not exist in this early period.

Your church is not it.

2) The Church in Rome which engaged in oppression and slavery and sought for political power and riches never had ecclesiastical power from Jesus over other churches
The Roman "Catholic Church" never had any authority over other churches since it lacked any superior ecclesiatical authority over them.

While both of your talking points are advertising, they are not, historically, correct.

For example, you said to @Wildswanderer "Jesus established only ONE Church before he ascended into heaven it can only be the ONLY Church with roots going back to Peter! None other!"

There were multiple churches whose bishops were ordained by Peter (for example, Theodorus tells us that Ignatius was ordained by Peter). The problem is that the Roman Catholic Church never had the authority of Peter since Peter never gave Linus, (the first Bishop of Rome), his own apostolic authority.

Clear
σεακδρω

Last edited:

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Link you are mistaken... "God is LOVE!" No one can have PERFECT love if they only love themselves! Love means you Give of yourself to another person!
God is PERFECT!
God also cannot love himself if he did he would not be PERFECT he would NOT be God! If there is PERFECT Love you need at the least "TWO" two people have perfect love! BUT.....

The Love of God created; the love of God and Word means the Holy Spirit is the fruit of this PERFECT LOVE!
Logic alone proves this true...
Muhmad and Islam reject a loving god! Satan rejects LOVE also! Islam is the hands and voice of Satan the Anti-Christ is Anti-Christian because Christians teach LOVE saves!

Was God not loving to humans with sending Abraham (a) to them? God can't kill himself sorry, he can't.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Wildswanderer good to meet you...
Scriptures are clear.. "The Church Jesus established is built on ROCK not on sand!" The ONLY Church with a 2000 years history is the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church!
You have placed the salvation of your soul on the teachings of a man who rejected the Body of Jesus!

Sure you have concerns, history proves there were many sinners on both sides of the argument! Men are sinners, the Catholic Church is filled with 2.2 Billion sinners all in need of salvation!
Wildswanderer To be OUTSIDE of the Body of Jesus means you cannot at the same time be INSIDE! The Pope is also a sinner! Peter was a sinner, that did not stop Jesus from proclaiming Peter the Shepherd of God' holy flock! It did not stop Jesus from handing the KEYS with the Authority of heaven to Peter; the sinner!

Jesus established only ONE Church before he ascended into heaven it can only be the ONLY Church with roots going back to Peter! None other!
None of that's in scripture. Peter isn't that rock, his confession of faith is the rock and cornerstone.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You are right.. once you move away from the bible (or whichever written texts you're accustomed to relying on), you're in the realms of opinion,

blü 2 Jesus established ONE Church!
Just what Jesus established is not at all clear. The success of the early Christian church is down to Paul in particular, but Paul (like the rest of the NT authors) never met an historical Jesus and states frankly in Galatians 1:11-12 that everything he tells you about Jesus comes out of his own head. In particular, he had very little interest in what the earthly Jesus did (given an historical Jesus at all), and accordingly you can fit his bio of Jesus into a couple of lines.
Christians have always believed "Jesus is God"!
The original purported bio of Jesus is the one by Mark. The authors of Matthew and of Luke, and more remotely of John, use it as a template but alter, delete from or add to it as each thinks best suits the story.
All of these other tens of thousands of versions of Christianity, are man made churches with the opinion that Jesus failed!
I take it you say that having carefully studied the doctrines of each of them?

… You should trust the One Church that put your bible together! You should trust that the Church got it right when she put the truly inspired words of God…

Ok, so, when I trust to the Bible, I do right thing and Bible is correct? Then there shouldn’t be any problem. But this leads to the question…

1213 don't you think the same Holy Spirit would not stick around and help her interpret the same letters!?

…why should it be interpreted? Is there any other reason that the reader doesn’t like the truthful message?

The One Church Jesus established on ROCK will always stand it was not built on sand!

I think interpretations are the sand.

Luke 10:16
“Whoever listens to you listens to me; whoever rejects you rejects me; but whoever rejects me rejects him who sent me.”

1213 Do you see it? Rejecting the Church is rejecting God!

Only if “the church” is sent by God and speaks words of God. I think that is unfortunately not always true.

I think the biggest mistake is that Christians have been taught to idolise and worship the name and personality of Jesus instead of God. They have become so fanatical in name and personality worship that I no longer believe they worship God anymore.

I agree with that. All though, it is in some way contradictory, because they call Jesus God, but don't believe what he said.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Link Christians have ALWAYS taught Jesus is God. 600 years later Muhamad comes along and said "Jesus is not God"!
Link Islam is a violent religion.. "An eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth"! They cut off heads, hands and stone people! They reject a loving God; they reject Jesus is God!
THINK: The Anti-Christ is Anti-Christian; Satan also rejects LOVE, he also rejects Jesus just as Muhamad did! There is NO such a thing as an "Anti-Islam" or "Anti-Muslim" because Islam is doing the work of Satan the "Anti-Christ"! Islam is teaching God is not a loving God but a violent god!

No, 1st-century Christians did not teach Jesus is God. No triad god was taught by Christians.
Christians believed Psalms 90:2 that God had No beginning
Christians believed that pre-human Jesus was "IN" the beginning but Not ' before ' the beginning as his God was.
Dead Jesus did Not even resurrect himself but his God resurrected Jesus - Acts of the Apostles 3:15
Resurrected Jesus believed he had a God over him according to John 20:17
Even the resurrected ascended-to-heaven Jesus still now thinks he has a God over him as per Revelation 3:12

Under the temporary Constitution of the Mosaic law it was an 'eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth'-Exodus 21:24-25
That stood for equal justice and Not a literal eye or tooth. Not revenge - Leviticus 19:18
Equal justice meaning punishment should Not go beyond/exceed what is sufficient ( correspond to the crime ).
Judges, Not individuals, were to weigh the circumstances - Deuteronomy 19:15-21

There is No capital letter "A" for anti-Christ.
Anyone who is against Christ is anti-Christ.
False clergy seat themselves in the 'temple' (Houses of worship) as if they are God when in reality they are anti-God.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I agree with that. All though, it is in some way contradictory, because they call Jesus God, but don't believe what he said.
Christians should believe the answer Jesus (who never lied) gave at John 10:36 that he is God's Son.

Brian2

Veteran Member

Where are the clear prophecies for Muhammad in the gospels?

Brian2

Veteran Member
Christians should believe the answer Jesus (who never lied) gave at John 10:36 that he is God's Son.

We believe that. Jesus is the Son of His Father, both have the same nature.
For a JW Jesus is just another creation.
The Bible teaches that the pre existing Jesus, the Word, was not created.
John 1: 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

DNB

Christian
DNB Jesus established ONE Church.. The Holy Catholic Apostolic Church!
He gave all of his authority to his church to; Teach All Nations!
Jesus promised to be ALWAYS With his church to the very end of time! This means he is still with his One Church to this day!

The Catholic Church is Holy Blameless.. She is full to the rafters with sinners! You are without sin then you do not need to be Catholic!
25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— 30 for we are members of his body.
No, there is no one monolithic and over-arching entity called the Church. The Church is global and is invisible to man, for salvation is on a personal basis, not congregational nor denominational. We do not know who the true believers are, they come in all shapes and sizes and are not overtly recognized.

The holy catholic church is neither holy, nor Christian. The crimes and heresies that it has committed and endorsed throughout the centuries, incriminates it for perpetuity. If i appear to be rather outspoken or audacious in my comments, it is because the anti-christian dogmas of the catholic church should be apparent to all. Mary's perpetual virginity and immaculate conception, defies Biblical teaching. As does the intercession of the saints, and the infallibility and autocracy of the papacy, etc...