• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bhakti Fest 2013

Maija

They do have one in the MidWest to...if thats closer, if not there's a ton of other events all over like the 24 hour kirtan...

It's not until next year September because of that I'm buying tix EARLY to $ave money and trying to get my husband to go :p

Will keep you updated! lol

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Wow. I took a look at some of the previous event videos. To each his own, but there's no way I could attend something like this. It makes a mockery of any tradition that I'm used to.

Lots of people dressed immodestly, lots of mispronunciation of sacred mantras, a sort of hippy-lovey-smokey mix of east/west something or other. Wow. :(

If that's what you think Hinduism is all about, go for it, I guess, but it sure wouldn't be for me. If I went there and had to listen to all those people tell me how cool my religion is in some huggy touch-feely mishmash, it's just give me the creeps, I'd be headed straight for an Indian style temple to purchase an archana to purify my aura from all those strange vibrations.

But hey, that's just me.

My version of bhakti is so incredibly different than this. More like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8qAcs9DGhc&feature=related

Last edited:

Maija

Wow. I took a look at some of the previous event videos. To each his own, but there's no way I could attend something like this. It makes a mockery of any tradition that I'm used to.

Lots of people dressed immodestly, lots of mispronunciation of sacred mantras, a sort of hippy-lovey-smokey mix of east/west something or other. Wow. :(

If that's what you think Hinduism is all about, go for it, I guess, but it sure wouldn't be for me. If I went there and had to listen to all those people tell me how cool my religion is in some huggy touch-feely mishmash, it's just give me the creeps, I'd be headed straight for an Indian style temple to purchase an archana to purify my aura from all those strange vibrations.

But hey, that's just me.

My version of bhakti is so incredibly different than this. More like this: [youtube]Y8qAcs9DGhc[/youtube]
Thaipusam Piercing - YouTube

I guess I don't know what Hinduism is then.
The truth is I've read the Bhagavad Gita and I'm working on the Upanishads soon and other books recommended to me, Autobiography of a Yogi...I'm not saying this makes me anything close to a Hindu.

All I know is I liked what I've read. Truth be told I would not know what is offensive about Bhakti Fest, I know it's a sampling of many Hindus, a few Sikhs bands and then also a Sufi band. It's not meant to represent 100% Hinduism and I've never been.

I did not mean for this post to be offensive. I certainly would be the last to know if words or mantras were mispronounced.

Those not born into this faith much do their own searching, I don't live close to a temple, all I have in my city are "kirtan" and meditation groups compromised of a bunch of Whole Foods shopping white and non-Indian people.

I don't live in the most diverse place. lol.

I have watched a documentary on the kumbh mela and it looks amazing, I'd love to go one year..

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
All I'm saying is that this isn't traditional Hinduism. There are no Woodstock like dancing concerts in India, or in any version of traditional Hinduism I've seen. People sit comfortably on the floor and do joint bhajans often lead by an individual. People walk to temples and express great joy in their bhajans, interspersed with calls like 'Jai Ganesha.'

It's just different. That's why I always encourage newcomers to my faith to go to a Hindu temple. (I mean one built by long-term Hindus, not the pseudo kind that are in actuality some kind of universalist hall)
Our purpose here on this planet is to change ourselves, inspired by the religion, we get to change ourselves. When this is not possible, we don't go about changing the religion instead. And this is what I see in this kind of stuff: people not liking traditional Hinduism, because it has established guidelines (no promiscuity, no drug use, modest clothing, respect to environment, established priesthood, and more than anything else, discipline. and much much more that a free thinking American may take a disliking to). So instead they pick and choose to take only what suits them, rather than listening to the elders.

Although this may also come across as harsh, my personal feeling is that 'leftover' subconscious racism is also a factor. Anybody but the white race has no clue, Indians included. This was obviously more prevalent in British colonial days, and most likely goes in both directions today. Most people are trying hard to eliminate this, but remnants are still there.

I still recall Rolling Stone magazine giving George Harrison an annual award for 'best alternative instrument' when he played sitar for awhile. What about the 10 000 sitar experts playing in India at the time? Was he better than all of them? If the award was titled, 'Best white guy playing a sitar', then fine.

But it really is to each his own. If that's what makes people happy, go for it.

Reading will only take you so far. Eventually you need to get out of the book, and into a temple, or over to India. That does help.

As far as pronunciation goes, the sound that usually gets westerners is the 'e' letter. In the universal generally used transliteration system, the letter 'e' the ay sound as in make. So I've heard Ganesha (Gu nay shu) mispronounced an annoying number of times. Veda too. Its Vay duh, not ved as in bed.

Enough ranting. Maija, just go enjoy your bhakti fest and ignore me.

Maija

Enough ranting. Maija, just go enjoy your bhakti fest and ignore me.

I don't know if I want to go. Not just because someone else says that it's not the real deal..but more because I wanted some sort of input on this event and I'm glad I was able to get it here.

For the record, I wasn't looking for a "Woodstock" event type thing. I wasn't looking for the drugs and funky atmosphere...call me naive but I didn't see that coming. I missed the video on the people smoking joints or doing whatever you saw them doing.

Now, I feel embarrassed - just to be honest..if there was a *delete* and wipe from memory thread, I'd push that button now.

lol

And this is what I see in this kind of stuff: people not liking traditional Hinduism, because it has established guidelines (no promiscuity, no drug use, modest clothing, respect to environment, established priesthood, and more than anything else, discipline.

I did see some some people doing yoga, not so modest clothes. I am with you, on this -- maybe because I've come from a religious background and actually most of the major religions will have something to say which will sideline very closely to Hinduism on the : -no drugs, no premarital sex, modest clothing etc...I have not met any person yet (not saying they don't exist!) who didn't believe this...

actually, I did have a ton of Hindu (Indian) friends when I lived in Kenya and handful of those families I remember consuming bhang for Holi and other festivals. Of course, I knew they were prob a minority amount how used bhang, but a surprising amount did, esp at Holi more than I'd have thought.

At first I thought she was lying and then when I realized she wasn't I thought that her family would have been outcast by others for using "pot food." However, then other Indian friends chimed in agreeing they knew of the practice and some had funny remarks from their own bhang induced festivities NONE seemed to shocked or in disagreement at least publicly. As a non-Hindu this didnt make me think: "Hinduism is cool with bhang," I just now knew that you for every religion, for whatever has been established or thought to be established there will be those within that religion to disagree and make exception using often religious based examples,

Bhang has been used as a cheap intoxicant for centuries in the sub-continent. Bhang in India is distributed as a religious offering during Shiva festivals like "Mahashivratri". It has now become synonymous with the Holi festival, to the point where consuming bhang at that time is a standard practice. It is also available as Bhang golis (balls) which is just freshly ground cannabis with water. Apart from this, sweetened bhang golis are also widely available. These are not considered a drug, but a traditional sleeping aid and appetizer. Bhang is also part of many ayurvedic medicinal preparations, e.g. bhang powder is available at ayurvedic dispensaries.
Bhang Ki Thandai also known as Sardai is a drink popular in many parts of sub-continent which is made by mixing bhang with thandai, a cold beverage prepared with almonds, spices (mainly black pepper), milk and sugar.

Bhang was first used as part of the Hindu rite in India around 1000 BC[citation needed] and soon became an integral part of Hindu culture. The herb was devoted to Lord Shiva on Shivratri, a Hindu festival.

^ For those confused...I'm not trying to say this is the norm.

Then, I looked into it and found that though controversial...this is not untrue. Wikipedia may of course have a skewed view of this and overestimate the popularity of this, this is not to say that it doesn't happen with Indian Hindus who, I'm sure according to some may have a warped view of their own religion. I just wanted to add that tidbit because I'm sure no one is taking other drugs than marijuana at an event like this and if they are it might be from incorrect knowledge they learned that grants bhang as in another category....end of talking about drugs..

Reading will only take you so far. Eventually you need to get out of the book, and into a temple, or over to India. That does help.

:yes:
And if you knew me in real life you'd see this is my plan :p heh.
I'm trying to save up which is taking a while, since it would not just be me but also me and my husband and baby..Part of this effort for saving for travel is me opening up on a small low start up business, so hopefully this will happen sooner other than later..!

In the mean time I am planning on checking out the Vedanta Society in SF. Vedanta Society of Northern California

The other alternatives for temples in the city are:
BAPS Swaminarayan Sanstha - Home a Swaminarayan temple
and then of course there's a Hare Krishna, ISKCON temple near bye too.

I'd like to check out SF Vedanta, they have a bookstore attached to it to for good reading..

Anyway, know my efforts: Trying to learn your religion, not change it. If my knowledge is incorrect, I'm ready to re-learn I'm most definitely not trying to tell you what your religion is..

Last edited:

Maija

If any of that was all over the place and hard to read, I have not had caffeine yet..

:sarcastic

I am trying to wean myself from coffee, having a toddler this a process.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'd recommend the Livermore or Concord temples. Not sure where you are, though.

Regarding bhang, its much more popular in North India, and amongst North Indians. My tradition is South Indian, and the Hinduism is more traditional in the South. On 2 trips, I never once smelled bhang.

As far as temples in the west go, they vary a ton, and if you want a real feel, best o go to several.
Although I believe in Vedanta as the goal, I'm no true Vedantin, because I'm nopt already at the top of the mountain. Vedantins like to speak as if they are at the top of the mountain. The original teachers like Ramakrishna were, but from experience, not books.

AmyD

Hi There~

My name is Amy. I am one of the producers of Bhakti Fest. An honor I take very seriously, as do all associated with this offering.

Maija, thank you for your enthusiasm and interest. I hope you do decide to join us and experience "The Bhav".

Vinayaka,
I wholly and humbly appreciate your devotion to your religion, and want you to know in absolutely NO WAY is this festival meant to distract from the roots of hinduism or the path of Bhakti. There are no drugs at this festival. In 4 years, over 20,000 attendees have had their lives transformed by diving deeper into these practices and traditions. Yes, sometimes that is a concert-like environment, but also within in the sanctuary, the breath work halls, the kirtans and the silent meditations.

"The Way Bhakti Works You Just Love, Until You And The Beloved Become One" -Ram Das/Be Here Now

I would invite you to come "Try it, before you knock it".

With all due reverence and respect for you, your religious beliefs and this path I am so genuinely blessed to have wandered onto.

Best,
Amy V. Dewhurst

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Amy: Oh, I realise that is never the intent. Its just a by-product of a particular area of subconscious mind entering a new field. There are always cultural gaps.

At least that's how I understand it. An example is a statue of Nataraja. Some see it as art, or a great symbol of the divine, whereas I see it as a religious icon meant for a traditional temple. So a Nataraja in a restaurant or on stage just seems out of place (to me).

Having different viewpoints isn't a problem, at least not to me.

Maija

I was thinking about this all weekend long.

I think that there is much good that can come from singing, dancing, even shouting with joy for your Lord.

If you can get excited about football and run and shout and leap, why not do that for your Lord! our actions should be well suited for our atmosphere, you should not create a disturbance and cause a distracting scene, but providing there is no one there to take offense in your loud clapping and jumping and singing praise...

There are many ways to express our love for God and it may be good for us to come out of our shell, be bold and proud enough to display outward signs of public worship, fellowship.

Thanks, so much for your comments Amy! How appropriate for you to have found this forum..I'm new still but welcome to it :)

Vinayaka, I very much see your points and appreciate your perspective.

I just wanted to add that experiences like these, however powerful, are not a supplement to the personal self education and research of a new faith. I for one, know I need all the tools that I can find, books, meditation classes, time spent part of religious community and in the temple that I can find.

Hum..

One is the path of devotion, what in India is called BHAKTI yoga, the path of love and devotion -- a Meera, a Chaitanya, dancing and singing, losing themselves completely in the act. When Meera is dancing there is only dance, there is no Meera; the dancer is completely merged into the dance. When Chaitanya is singing and dancing there is no Chaitanya; he has become one with the act.
Osho..

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Maija, I think it may be kind of fun exploring. If you have an open mind,and are willing to try out a lot of different stuff, all the power to you, and you will most likely find great joy in all that.

For me, I'm just an old man, and I already found what works for me. I no longer feel the need to experiment. I can avoid a certain restaurant, going to a certain type of Guru's lecture, reading certain books. I can read the name of the restaurant in the phone book. At this point where I'm well established in one particular sampradaya, having found my Guru a long time ago, etc., I don't feel the need to explore at all.

But there was a time, albeit a very short period, when I was an explorer, like you.

Thank you for respecting all sides in a discussion.

Maya3

Vinayaka,
With all due respect I must say I'm surprised by your comments.

Several of the guests on the Bhakti fest have been to my Ashram and temple. One of the Bhakti participants actually started out at the Ashram and lived there for several years.

Kirtan is beautiful and really amazing, people can get moved to tears, and sometimes it leads to dancing and loud singing. I don't see what is wrong with that.

Majja, you have indeed found Hinduism, Hinduism is vast, there is room for everyone.
Traditional temples without kirtan, or traditional temples like mine that also enjoy kirtan.
Traditional Ashrams like mine who are deeply steeped in Sanskrit studies who enjoy kirtan as well.

There is no reason to feel embarrassed.

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Different versions of Hinduism for different folks. Sounds like a kirtan-fest, sort of music festival. Our definitions of bhakti vary, and that's why the 'confusion' on my part. I've never heard of this kind of thing much, I mean the syncretic East-west music stuff. In Tamil Saivism, there is no kirtan, or at least very little, unlike in Vaisnavism, so I'm not familiar with it - at all.

But given the demographic of the Hindus on this forum, it is not surprising that this festival would come up as a point for discussion. So just go and enjoy. I'll go find some pillar at some temple and do my japa.

One really good thing I noticed in my research into Bhakti-fest is the drug and alcohol free bit. That part was good to hear.

Last edited:

Maija

Thanks for all your comments, friends. Maya is right, Hinduism is vast, Vinayaka we will one day all find our roots and what works for us like you have. Guided by our need to feel close to our Beloved. more later, at work now

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Vinayaka,
With all due respect I must say I'm surprised by your comments.

And I'm surprised that you would be surprised. :) I've often had to say that my views are that of traditional Hinduism, in fact to the point of thinking of departing this forum for feeling quite lonely in this regard. My traditional view is underrepresented, and that's one of the reasons I do stay here ... so newcomers understand that there are several viewpoints, one of them being rather staunch traditional. (Read 'Indian' if you like.) Neither your or my views represent the whole of Hinduism. I've tried to make that clear. I have already said that people are welcome to incorporate other traditions and have a more syncretic view. But that's not for me. Just as Christ in Hinduism is not for me.

I think I even remain quite polite about it. But perhaps not. I did go and have an honest look at Bhakti fest and what is happening there. Much of what I saw is quite admirable, but also much didn't fit traditional Hinduism either. I don't want to go into details because it may come across as insulting something I'm sure some people feel very strongly about, and that's not the point.

In my way of encouraging people, I often suggest they go to an Indian run temple, or to carnatic music concerts, or bharata natyam performances, which all have a 5000 year old history behind them. I also would encourage anyone here to travel to India the Mother of Hinduism, and get those traditions, in particular the bhakti of temple worship.

Maija

Vinayaka, you are very much appreciated, you ought to know. There are as many different types of Hindus as there are people, we need not compare ourselves to others, all in the end want the same thing.