• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bhagavad Gita /discussion, thoughts

atanu

Premium Member
Can we please put ourselves in Arjuna's position and then analyse?

He is already in dire straits and has certain responsibilities, and conflicts thereof are paralysing him.

I was once in a bitter family dilemma. I was stuck between two females. I was in terrific trouble. I disclosed my trouble to a so called religious friend who gave me such a moral cold shoulder that it was worse than the main problem. I say that this kind of idealistic moralising is at best a christian attitude......and certainly not in the spirit of Gita.

This is my view. YMMV.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond

He is already in dire straits and has certain responsibilities, and conflicts thereof are paralysing him.

I was once in a bitter family dilemma. I was stuck between two females. I was in terrific trouble. I disclosed my trouble to a so called religious friend who gave me such a moral cold shoulder that it was worse than the main problem. I say that this kind of idealistic moralising is at best a christian attitude......and certainly not in the spirit of Gita.

This is my view. YMMV.

I think this provides a good perspective.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

This is my view. YMMV.

Fair point indeed. It will be an interesting challenge to consider how best to express it.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
My anti-virus totally wigged out when I clicked that link. It said it blocked a virus, but it's probably just being polite and not saying what it thinks of Prabhupada's interpretation :D

I don't doubt it. I can't get Tapasyananda's version, which I like, on my computer at work. It's blocked by the network's anti-virus/anti-surf software. :rolleyes:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Has anybody read Maharishi's version? My dad has been reading it and absolutely loves it. He has read many versions and this is his favourite (apparently a very balanced approach).

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

This is my view. YMMV.

Yes. The story is about Arjuna.

Moralizing about what lesson the story imparts misses the point if the story.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Has anybody read Maharishi's version? My dad has been reading it and absolutely loves it. He has read many versions and this is his favourite (apparently a very balanced approach).

Maharishi Mahesh Yogi? I'll have to look for it. I have Eknath Easwaran's, but I haven't read that yet either. Paramahansa Yogananda has a version that is selected portions with commentary.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Yes. The story is about Arjuna.

Moralizing about what lesson the story imparts misses the point if the story.

Except that if we are taking the story as scripture the moralizing is the point.

Maharishi Mahesh Yogi? I'll have to look for it. I have Eknath Easwaran's, but I haven't read that yet either. Paramahansa Yogananda has a version that is selected portions with commentary.

And right here we have the true strength of Hinduism. Not so much its scriptures as its approach to them. Questioning and commentary are of paramount importance.

Sometimes I wonder what it must be like for a thriving Hindu community to deal with the Muslim mindset. India must have some very difficult situations.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
And right here we have the true strength of Hinduism. Not so much its scriptures as its approach to them. Questioning and commentary are of paramount importance.

This is a strength of Judaism too, and I daresay Buddhism.

Sometimes I wonder what it must be like for a thriving Hindu community to deal with the Muslim mindset. India must have some very difficult situations.

Indeed, and then we have Christianity in India. This is not meant as a slam against Islam and Christianity, at their hearts they have great beauty, but they are pretty much fossilized. That is, set and not open to mainstream debate or interpretation. Not to mention proselytization, something Hindus, Buddhists, Jains and Sikhs do not do. In fact, out of all the world's religions I can think of, only Islam and Christianity proselytize.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram jainarayan ji

I view Prabhupada's interpretations and purports as very narrow, if not downright odd.

whilst I would agree that Srila Prabhupada inturpretations and purports may not be to everyones liking , but I would hardly conscider them ''narrow'' or ''odd'',....It took me years of reading to fully understand and appreciate his mood , however what prehaps some fail to appreciate is that srila Prabhupada is a true devotees guru not a lay teacher , and like all good gurus he does not spare his punches in other words he is brutaly honest and to the point .

prehaps for some that want a gentler approach his inturpretations and purports are too direct , but for this reason there are different renditions of the gita some treating it ia a poetic work, and others as as does Prabhupada as a divinely revealed treatise on Dharma and Karma .
we may take our pick as to which version we favour and which one suits our level of devotion but it is prehaps unwise to dismiss the service of any servant of the lord.

it is also worth to bear in mind that much of his rendition will depend upon his gurus instructions , his methods of teaching and the mind set srila Prabhupada met within devotees when he first embarked upon giving his purports .

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
That's why I said "I view..." meaning in relation to others I've read, and my understanding of the dharma. Everything in context. :)

raw_thought

Last edited:

raw_thought

I do not care about the mundane literal message. The literal is mere signifier!
Signifier and Signified
Since signifier/signified's connection is arbitrary, I am currently into Zen.
'Zen is the unsymbolization of the world.'
R. H. Blyth

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Prabhupada's interpretation is too literal and misses the metaphorical spiritual message of the BG. The spiritual message of the BG is Atman = Brahman.* The story of Arjuna should be seen philosophically/spiritually and not literally.
See http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/philosophy/164027-norse-roman-philosophy.html#post3796489
* In other words our individuality is an illusion and ultimate reality is the only reality.

Eh..where's the 'message'? What the heck does "ultimate reality" mean?

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Prabhupada's interpretation is too literal and misses the metaphorical spiritual message of the BG. The spiritual message of the BG is Atman = Brahman.* The story of Arjuna should be seen philosophically/spiritually and not literally.
See http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/philosophy/164027-norse-roman-philosophy.html#post3796489
* In other words our individuality is an illusion and ultimate reality is the only reality.

That's not a spiritual message, that's pantheistic reasoning which allows oneself to call oneself a 'god'.

I don't think people are gods.
If, that were the message, then asking for devotion to the gods/demigods makes no sense.

raw_thought

This should answer your questions
Atman & Brahman
And yes, there are less sophisticated Hindus that treat their religion as worshiping an authority figure. However, devotions are honoring the divine within.
The search for God within is spiritual. It is not about ego ( individualism). Realizing that deep down all is God is not about having the ego thrill of throwing thunderbolts. Spirituality is not anthropomorphic.

Last edited:

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |

As per Hindu tradition:

The translation of various scriptures follows differing approaches. For example:

adhyatmika (spiritual interpretation)
adhiyajna (ritualistic interpretation)
aitihasika (specific tradition/sect-related)

In other words, there is no overriding, correct translation of any scripture in
the Hindu conglomeration, including the Bhagavad Gita. To suggest otherwise
is intellectually careless. Plus, even the mere suggestion of one translation
being more correct is unheard of in the Dharmic tradition & its related paradigms.​