• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beyond the Pale

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

This is so long that many might give it a miss (nearly 2 hours), and many might also see it as anti-American, but if one skips to 8:30 then it might be more palatable. I missed out on their performances in various clubs but this was pointed out to me by a friend at the time - so pleased to find this. This was perhaps the foundation of so much modern humour (in the UK), so well worth watching. On the other hand, it just might not appeal to many, even given its age (1961).

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Not to derail your post, but do you know where the phrase "beyond the pale..." comes from?

PureX

Veteran Member
Comedy isn't generally "anti-" anything. It just seems that way to some when it's their 'tribe' being poked fun at.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Not to derail your post, but do you know where the phrase "beyond the pale..." comes from?

You can enlighten us if you like - my usage was as in beyond social convention - and of course this kind of humour is a bit dated and not for all - particularly all the religious bits no doubt.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
You can enlighten us if you like - my usage was as in beyond social convention - and of course this kind of humour is a bit dated and not for all - particularly all the religious bits no doubt.

"Beyond the pale" is a phrase used to describe behaviors that are generally deemed unacceptable.

I've also seen reference to contemptuous uses to describe someone of a lower social class, but I haven't been able to verify this.

sooda

Veteran Member

This is so long that many might give it a miss (nearly 2 hours), and many might also see it as anti-American, but if one skips to 8:30 then it might be more palatable. I missed out on their performances in various clubs but this was pointed out to me by a friend at the time - so pleased to find this. This was perhaps the foundation of so much modern humour (in the UK), so well worth watching. On the other hand, it just might not appeal to many, even given its age (1961).

Beyond the pale means beyond the pale of settlement. The pale of settlement was Western imperial Russia where Jews were allowed to live. It was established by Catherine the Great.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Beyond the pale means beyond the pale of settlement. The pale of settlement was Western imperial Russia where Jews were allowed to live. It was established by Catherine the Great.

Close, but in my reading it pre-dates that. It comes from Irish history when the English controlled basically Dublin only, There was a certain area around Dublin called the Pale. Anyone Irishman living outside this area was considered uncouth, unteachable, and uncontrollable.

sooda

Veteran Member
Close, but in my reading it pre-dates that. It comes from Irish history when the English controlled basically Dublin only, There was a certain area around Dublin called the Pale. Anyone Irishman living outside this area was considered uncouth, unteachable, and uncontrollable.

Before Catherine the Great? Before 1796?