• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beyond burgers and beyond fried chicken.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
My question is why does anyone want their plant food to look like burgers or fried chicken?

We were discussing this with friends yesterday, two if the group were vegetarian. On British Tv there is recently a spate of ads for "meat free bacon" that looks just like bacon... And a new vegetarian butcher. Yes butcher

Why would a vegetarian want ro eat something that "looks like" meat?

Its was beyond all of us, basically a shrug shoulders WTF moment

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
We were discussing this with friends yesterday, two if the group were vegetarian. On British Tv there is recently a spate of ads for "meat free bacon" that looks just like bacon... And a new vegetarian butcher. Yes butcher

Why would a vegetarian want ro eat something that "looks like" meat?

Its was beyond all of us, basically a shrug shoulders WTF moment
Do you not have a daughter to discuss this with? :)
The spate is because it's Veganuary (and Dry January!)

- Veganuary - the international movement inspiring people to try vegan!

- Dry January | Alcohol Change UK

Last edited:

Suave

Simulated character
What we can see affects our opinions, feelings, and especially our systems like blood pressure and flow, our indigestion systems, levels of salivation.....and a lot more.

So if somebody has developed a veggie-version of chicken, duck, high-plains buffalo or whatever, it will actually make a difference to most people if it looks 'appetising'.

Please let us also not forget to mention, this appealing vegetarian dietary alternative to meat would reduce animal sourced global warming methane gas emissions.

BG.png

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Please let us also not forget to mention, this appealing vegetarian dietary alternative to meat would reduce animal sourced global warming methane gas emissions.

I'm sad to say that I don't think that 'eat veggie-cows and save the planet!' will sell anywhere near as many as 'eat veggie-cows' they taste like heaven and save you money!'

...or something like that. You're selling to humans.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
My question is why does anyone want their plant food to look like burgers or fried chicken?

It has to look like something. My lunch today involves small crunchy proteiny things that just happen to look like dinosaurs.

If a plant based foodstuff is ball-shaped, is that OK? Or is that weirdly mimicking meatballs? What shapes are OK? A burger is simply food in the shape of a patty. The meat/dairy industry owns no word or shape rights. They tried such claims in the EU recently and it got thrown out.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
It's like how folk make turkey burgers. My grandma eats them cuz she's allergic to beef. They are burgers but taste different from cow meat yet no one complains. Plant burger is a burger but it don't taste like a beef burger. I actually prefer turkey burgers over beef burgers. Plant burgers don't know where to rank them only had it once but to me it's a different type of burger rather then not a burger
"Burger" does not identify the content, only the shape.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I personally wouldn't drink imitation beer, but my stepdad enjoyed it just to have a beer with friends once he could no longer drink(for medical reasons). It doesn't confuse me that perhaps some like the taste.

Over the years I've drunk alcoholic beers that are way inferior to some of today's low and no alcoholic beers. The AF sector (beers, wines and spirits) is growing at great pace, with the trads (such as Guinness and Heineken) now getting on to the trend. Younger people (in the UK at least) are turning away from alcohol. 0.0 gin is going nuts in the UK.

"Diageo’s recently launched non-alcoholic versions of its top spirit brands have stolen the lion’s share of sales in the supermarkets"

- https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/supplie...t-in-the-run-up-to-festivities/662758.article

Last edited:

Ella S.

*temp banned*
It has to look like something. My lunch today involves small crunchy proteiny things that just happen to look like dinosaurs.

If a plant based foodstuff is ball-shaped, is that OK? Or is that weirdly mimicking meatballs? What shapes are OK? A burger is simply food in the shape of a patty. The meat/dairy industry owns no word or shape rights. They tried such claims in the EU recently and it got thrown out.

I second this.

I am a vegetarian slowly transitioning to a vegan diet, and there are so many different ways to make "burger" patties. It's essentially a circular sandwich to me, like what you could get on a bagel or English muffin.

I didn't stop using tortillas, sliced bread, subs, or buns to hold my foodstuffs in when I went vegetarian.

The thought never occurred to me that I should until I started going vegan, but that's only because some breads are made with animal products and not because it resembled meat too much.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
What we can see affects our opinions, feelings, and especially our systems like blood pressure and flow, our indigestion systems, levels of salivation.....and a lot more.

So if somebody has developed a veggie-version of chicken, duck, high-plains buffalo or whatever, it will actually make a difference to most people if it looks 'appetising'.
Hence the expression "eat with your eyes."

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
If somebody has produced a veggie-whopper then I would definitely try it.

I wish somebody would produce a veggie-salmon, poached (that's simmered in hot water, not nicked) then that would make my day. :D
I've not seen it yet but I should think it's only a matter of time. I've had tofu fish n chips in a pub and it was lovely. (And no bones!)

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

But why eat dinosaur shaped when you can eat the real...

Oh yeah. Right. Nevermind....

o_O;)

(I should probably be in bed.)

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I've not seen it yet but I should think it's only a matter of time. I've had tofu fish n chips in a pub and it was lovely. (And no bones!)

I wish I could find veggi seafood around here. We've got breaded fish, but it would be nice to have some without(and shrimp, prawns, or scallops) to cook with.