• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Better Understanding of the Other Side

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
In general, do you think that atheists have a better understanding of the viewpoint of theists than theists do of atheists? Or vice versa? Neither? Why?

Erebus

In general, do you think that atheists have a better understanding of the viewpoint of theists than theists do of atheists? Or vice versa? Neither? Why?

Depends who is involved.

I've seen many theists present the most ridiculous misconceptions about atheism, while I've noticed many atheists tend to think theism = Abrahamic faith.

On the flipside I know plenty of atheists who are willing to "try out" various faiths to understand why they appeal to people (and indeed whether there might be some truth to them) and I've seen plenty of theists who are willing to critically evaluate their own beliefs.

StevieHummingbird

Singing, Dancing, Living
Depends on the person. It is always that way. I have met some out right really misunderstood, and please forgive me, plain stupid, people who think they got the understanding right. And believe me it is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. And this is from both sides. the knowledge and opinions of this all depend on you.

I would say no, I don't understand at all why or how someone believes in a god. I don't have a problem with them because of it, I just don't get it :shrug:

Humanistheart

It obviously depends on the individual and the theistic religion concerned, but by in large I'd say atheists have a much better understanding of thesists (particularly the abrahamic religions) or at least a better understanding of various religions doctrines, than the theists do about atheists or non-theistic religions. Just look at debates with athiests V theists. You can read all kinds of crap here in defence of creationism that completely misconstrues what evolution is and how it works. Atheists at least now the other side their arguing against.

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I would say no, I don't understand at all why or how someone believes in a god. I don't have a problem with them because of it, I just don't get it :shrug:

But do you actually not get it, or just don't agree with it? Do you not think you have the ability to put yourself in their shoes, and understand why they believe?

But do you actually not get it, or just don't agree with it? Do you not think you have the ability to put yourself in their shoes, and understand why they believe?

Honestly I really don't get it, I never have, when I was younger I thought it was something you were supposed to pretend to believe in like santa claus, I remember the dawning realisation one day at school when I was nearly 5, that the other people in my class actually believed it.

I don't understand why you would, believe that, it is so weird to me, I think it is what you would feel like if you found out everyone believed Buffy The Vampire Slayer was a real person( cue the 'you mean she's not brigade :D ) I am wrecking your hypothesis aren't I ? :sorry1:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Honestly I really don't get it, I never have, when I was younger I thought it was something you were supposed to pretend to believe in like santa claus, I remember the dawning realisation one day at school when I was nearly 5, that the other people in my class actually believed it.

I don't understand why you would, believe that, it is so weird to me, I think it is what you would feel like if you found out everyone believed Buffy The Vampire Slayer was a real person( cue the 'you mean she's not brigade :D ) I am wrecking your hypothesis aren't I ? :sorry1:

Not at all. I don't have a hypothesis - just asking a question.

I totally get what you mean also - just wanted to make sure that you understood I was talking about understanding why they believe it from their view, not understanding it from your view. (if that makes sense)

Now that you mention it though, it's rather funny how people often answer my questions guardedly, as though I have a hidden agenda. I'm generally just trying to come up with seeds for discussion.

Not at all. I don't have a hypothesis - just asking a question.

I totally get what you mean also - just wanted to make sure that you understood I was talking about understanding why they believe it from their view, not understanding it from your view. (if that makes sense)

I get that people believe it because they are exposed to it at an age and at a level of saturation that makes it almost impossible not to believe it. I don't get why I never believed it but it must be something environmental or genetic because most of my many , many (there are six of us) siblings don't believe in a god either while my parents both believe unequivocally. I have 1 sister who is a theist and she is a Muslim.

Now that you mention it though, it's rather funny how people often answer my questions guardedly, as though I have a hidden agenda. I'm generally just trying to come up with seeds for discussion.

It is probably the hood

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Deja vu! I felt exactly the same way until I was in my late 30's.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What happened when you were in your late 30's ?
I saw a Public Broadcast show interviewing a fellow named Joseph Campbell, and shortly after I learned what "myth" is. It sparked an understanding that culminated when I was 46.

(I was a late-bloomer. I was expecting to learn the mysteries of life, the universe and everything when I was 42. ;))