1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beto wants to tax any church if...

Discussion in 'North American Politics' started by Regiomontanus, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Thirza Fallen

Thirza Fallen Crazy Cat Lady

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Religion:
    Seeker
    Isn't birth control wrong in the church's eyes too? Doesn't mean the majority adhere to it. Only half of Catholics are conservative. Same with Protestants.

2. Thirza Fallen

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Religion:
    Seeker
    Same with Protestantism. There is no "official" Catholic or Protestant view. Good thing...

3. sealchan

sealchan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,062
    Religion:
    Christian
    Meh. Marginal once you achieve something over the poverty level. Greater factors are self-knowledge and a meaningful role in society.

4. Shiranui117

Shiranui117 Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,265
    Religion:
    Eastern Orthodox Christian
    A religious wedding ceremony is not a civil right, nor is it a human right. You can get a same-sex wedding done at a courthouse, outside, in a park, on a boat, etc. Nobody has a right to a religious space or to a religious ceremony if usage of said space or ceremony would contradict the teachings of the hosting religious institution. I don't have to host you in my house, and a parish does not have to host your event in their church, or in their synagogue, mosque, etc.

Churches and other religious organizations never have provided equal service to all, nor should they. Sure, with soup kitchens and food drives there's equal service, but nobody, and I mean nobody, has an intrinsic human right to participate in the rituals and ceremonies of a given religious tradition. Should a Native American tribe be forced to open their religious rites to white people? Should a synagogue be forced to perform a Jewish wedding ceremony for a non-Jewish couple? Should a Catholic or an Orthodox church be forced to provide same-sex weddings? The answer to all of these cases is a clear and resounding no. Anything to the contrary is a violation of the First Amendment.

Either all religious institutions are tax-exempt, or none of them are. We will not be punishing one set of religious beliefs and rewarding another just because their religious beliefs contradict the political sensibilities of the day.

This is a point that we could definitely have a good discussion about, and I think to a large extent you're right. However, I do think it safe to say that there are Catholics who advocate for social justice (AKA lean more Democrat) yet who also respect the teachings of the Church. I don't think many of these Catholics (especially immigrant Catholics) would appreciate Beto punishing their Church for believing what she believes.

There is most certainly an official Catholic view. The only question is to what extent your lay Catholic actually adheres to their church's official teachings.

5. sealchan

sealchan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,062
    Religion:
    Christian
    When an organization wants to be free of its duty to pay taxes on income earned to the government, it should be willing to follow the basic principles of human decency established by the laws of that government. It can always voluntarily withdraw its claim to tax exempt status if it wishes to promote a specific moral agenda at odds with that of the people as a whole.

6. Shiranui117

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,265
    Religion:
    A religious organization refusing to perform a religious ceremony for anybody is in no way a violation of anyone's "basic principles of decency established by the laws of that government". Nobody has a right to a given religious ceremony. I don't have a right to a bar mitzvah, or a navjote, or a confirmation, or to participation in a ghost dance. Why people think they have a right to participation in rituals belonging to religions that they don't follow is beyond me.

7. Guitar's Cry

Guitar's Cry Verisimilitudinous

Ratings:
    +3,072
    Religion:
    Panreligious mystical paganism
    It's more than the religious ceremony. How long have we been without DOMA? I distinctly remember the lobbying that has gone into anti-lgbt policies and likely still does.

8. Thirza Fallen

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Religion:
    Seeker
    So whatever the Pope says? Ugh.

9. Shiranui117

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,265
    Religion:
    Whatever is written in the Catechism of the Catholic Church and the decrees of the Catholic councils.

10. Shad

Shad Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,005
    Religion:
    Theological noncognitivist
    Wealth is not the same as income. A lot of wealth is already invested in something thus not a liquid asset. Your house for example

11. Thirza Fallen

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Religion:
    Seeker
    How convenient that men dictate everything. Ugh.

12. Guitar's Cry

Guitar's Cry Verisimilitudinous

Ratings:
    +3,072
    Religion:
    Panreligious mystical paganism
    Right, but how does this change the situation?