• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best way to read nonfiction efficiently

Rational Agnostic

I love reading nonfiction books, but rarely have any time to do so. Yes, of course this is everyone's excuse for not reading, but I think it could be fairly easily demonstrated that I have a considerably more hectic lifestyle and less free time than the average person (full time school and work, etc.). In any case, what strategies would you suggest for absorbing as much material from nonfiction books as possible in the least amount of time? Reading one book at a time like normal, but only for a few minutes per day? Skimming chapters until finding the most relevant information and then slowing down? Finding summaries and reading them? I have a long list of books that I would like to learn something from, and am looking to optimize my efficiency in getting relevant information out of them.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I love reading nonfiction books, but rarely have any time to do so. Yes, of course this is everyone's excuse for not reading, but I think it could be fairly easily demonstrated that I have a considerably more hectic lifestyle and less free time than the average person (full time school and work, etc.). In any case, what strategies would you suggest for absorbing as much material from nonfiction books as possible in the least amount of time? Reading one book at a time like normal, but only for a few minutes per day? Skimming chapters until finding the most relevant information and then slowing down? Finding summaries and reading them? I have a long list of books that I would like to learn something from, and am looking to optimize my efficiency in getting relevant information out of them.
I'm not sure but I'm going to hang around here because I would like to know as well.

Jumi

I used to read a large amount of non-fiction books, I think the key is to start reading whenever you have time even if you're busy. Back in univesity, I would have books tactically placed in spots where I would be in one spot for some time, like in the kitchen or restroom and study some. Of course if you are studying for a degree or course you also need to set aside times for just study, but if you're just busy it's good to make things as conveniently available as possible.

Rational Agnostic

I used to read a large amount of non-fiction books, I think the key is to start reading whenever you have time even if you're busy. Back in univesity, I would have books tactically placed in spots where I would be in one spot for some time, like in the kitchen or restroom and study some. Of course if you are studying for a degree or course you also need to set aside times for just study, but if you're just busy it's good to make things as conveniently available as possible.

Good idea. I think 10 minutes a day consistently is probably enough to read at least a dozen books per year.