• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Odyssey translation

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I’m currently reading the Fagles translation of the Odyssey. I have at least 5 translations. But the only other one I read so far is the Butler version. Which threw me for a loop since it opts to use Roman names. And my artsy friends insist it’s their least favourite.
I find myself enjoying the Fagles version better so far.
Which translation do you like the best? Which do you think does justice to the story?
(You can include the Iliad and Aneid if you like.)

David T

Premium Member
I’m currently reading the Fagles translation of the Odyssey. I have at least 5 translations. But the only other one I read so far is the Butler version. Which threw me for a loop since it opts to use Roman names. And my artsy friends insist it’s their least favourite.
Which translation do you like the best? Which do you think does justice to the story?
Isnt it really just an ancient version of superman or captain america except for its hero worship of basically greek culture government etc. ? I know heraclitus thought homer ought to have been beaten.

We call it propaganda today.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Isnt it really just an ancient version of superman or captain america except for its hero worship of basically greek culture government etc. ? I know heraclitus thought homer ought to have been beaten.

We call it propaganda today.
Yes and no. Hercules/Heracles is clearly proto Superman.
Yes The Odyssey exalts Greek culture similar to how Virgil exalted Roman culture in the Aneid and various myths. And his number one fanboy Dante was super dismissive of the Greeks in the Divine Comedy.
But that’s just because of where and when they were written.
Classical myth tells of heroic feats, hardships and justice. They are just basic bones of all the storytelling tropes we utilise today.
With the Odyssey in particular it is literally a sequel to the Illiad and follows Odysseus and his misadventures trying to return to fair Penelope and his son, while trying to escape the wrath of Poseidon/Neptune. In order to restore his righteous place as king of his domain and punish the greedy, rude inhospitable suitors.
I’m surprised at just how differently each translation reads.

David T

Premium Member
Yes and no. Hercules/Heracles is clearly proto Superman.
Yes The Odyssey exalts Greek culture similar to how Virgil exalted Roman culture in the Aneid and various myths. And his number one fanboy Dante was super dismissive of the Greeks in the Divine Comedy.
But that’s just because of where and when they were written.
Classical myth tells of heroic feats, hardships and justice. They are just basic bones of all the storytelling tropes we utilise today.
With the Odyssey in particular it is literally a sequel to the Illiad and follows Odysseus and his misadventures trying to return to fair Penelope and his son, while trying to escape the wrath of Poseidon/Neptune. In order to restore his righteous place as king of his domain and punish the greedy, rude inhospitable suitors.
I’m surprised at just how differently each translation reads.
I appreciate the synopsysis. I was going to say that heraclitus complaint would be how the culture would have been virtually religious about it. Then i realized, oh zero has changed. I mean zero. In that regard. Lol. Thanks again.

von bek

I also like Fagles. I really enjoy Fitzgerald as well. I have their translations for both Iliad and Odyssey, and I have Fitzgerald's version of the Aeneid.