• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best ever books?

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
Well, I recently read the following book by Alan W. Watts...

The Book
On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

It is a good read and is available at Amazon in both Kindle or paperback.

I would be surprised if it couldn't be found as a free download.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Well, I recently read the following book by Alan W. Watts...

The Book
On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

It is a good read and is available at Amazon in both Kindle or paperback.

I would be surprised if it couldn't be found as a free download.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I had a quick search and found a few quotes from Alan -

35 of the most mind opening quotes from Alan Watts

“The meaning of life is just to be alive. It is so plain and so obvious and so simple. And yet, everybody rushes around in a great panic as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves.”

“For unless one is able to live fully in the present, the future is a hoax. There is no point whatever in making plans for a future which you will never be able to enjoy. When your plans mature, you will still be living for some other future beyond. You will never, never be able to sit back with full contentment and say, ‘Now, I’ve arrived!’ Your entire education has deprived you of this capacity because it was preparing you for the future, instead of showing you how to be alive now.”

“Advice? I don’t have advice. Stop aspiring and start writing. If you’re writing, you’re a writer. Write like you’re a goddamn death row inmate and the governor is out of the country and there’s no chance for a pardon. Write like you’re clinging to the edge of a cliff, white knuckles, on your last breath, and you’ve got just one last thing to say, like you’re a bird flying over us and you can see everything, and please, for God’s sake, tell us something that will save us from ourselves. Take a deep breath and tell us your deepest, darkest secret, so we can wipe our brow and know that we’re not alone. Write like you have a message from the king. Or don’t. Who knows, maybe you’re one of the lucky ones who doesn’t have to.”

Namaste

:)

brendakshi

Probably the coolest book for me is Story of your life, by Ted Chiang. She's unbelievable just to be honest, one of the best. This science fiction is closely related to human relationships. I first met her on the project https://uk.edubirdie.com/proofreading-services when I needed to write a lot of material on the topic of science, and then I found a description of this book there. It shows how different organisms perceive time, which is linear only in humans, while in others, time flows differently. And the ****ty heroine is a linguist who must find a common language with other creatures. Just an incredibly gorgeous book, 10 out of 10.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Greetings book lovers!

I found this pdf list of 50 books.

It is highly debatable and what appeals to my mind may not do anything for other people ...

Anyway, here is the pdf - about 8 meg in total -

https://whatyouwilllearn.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Top-50-2019-edition.pdf

Feel free to add your own ...

Enjoy your day!

I found the list very heave in 'Self Help,' Behavioral How to,' and Life Strategy' books.'

My favorite books include:

Epic of Giigamesh
If you meet Buddha on the Path Kill Him
by Sheldon Kopp
Chaos Making a New Science by James Gleich
Seven Valleys and Four Valleys by Baha'u'llah

I approve of Joseph Campbell and Stephan Hawken books on the list, but more Joseph Campbell

I may add more . . .

My poetry was accepted in another journal to be published in 2021. A bright spot for the new year.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I tend to go for the classics.

Robinson Crusoe

Heidi

Treasure Island

20000 leagues under the sea

Mutiny on the bounty

Little Women

Dracula

Classics like that.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I read for entertainment and education. Of all the book's i have read there are some i keep returning to.

Most books by Terry Pratchett, all good so i can't pick a best

Most books by Iain M Banks, i was not keen on The Algebraist but consider
Excession to be one of the best books i have read (yes I'm weird like that)

Serious stuff

Offender Profiling, edited by J L Jackson and D A Bekerian

Just about any psychology book by Eysenck
Same for Phil Barnyard

The 12 Caesar's by Suetonius.
The History of Rome, Livy
The Flavian Dynasty: The History of the Roman Empire during the Reigns of Vespasian, Titus, and Domitian

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
The best ever book for me, because of how influential it was to me personally, has to be Why You Don't Need Meat. It was written by Peter Cox, the first Chief Executive of the Vegetarian Society.
At the time of its publication (mid 80s) I ate meat - it was just food on my plate. I was working in a not very busy bookshop and when individual customer orders came in I used to peruse them just to break up the boredom. So that is how this book came into my hands - entirely by accident. I "borrowed" it for the evening and read it all in one go. As a result, I changed my diet permanently and the book opened my eyes as to what the meat industry does to put that "just food on my plate."
I wrote a thank you letter years later to his publisher and got a very nice letter back from Mr Cox.