• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best classics ever?!!!

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Obviously I’m a big fan of classics.
But what about their film adaptations?
What are some of your favourite adaptations of the so called classics?
Anything goes. Whatever genre, religious text adaptations, the ancient myths, fiction in general, whatever. If you consider it a classic work that has been adapted to screen or hell just a cinematic classic in general, have at it.
What makes a good adaption of a classic? Timelessness? A good translation of the original spirit? Something that transcends the original text even? And since there’s often differing adaptations, which is your favourite version and why?

My list.
Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein. Adapted by Universal in the 1930s.
Becoming pretty much the ultimate definitive portrayal of the Frankenstein monster (so much so that the Jake Pierce design has appeared in numerous iterations since) Karloff gives an unbelievably impressive and even nuanced performance as the sympathetic Frankenstein Monster (sometimes nicknamed “Adam” in a somewhat sarcastic reference to his creation.)
Though Bride of Frankenstein is technically a closer adaptation to the original Mary Shelly book, nevertheless both films have stood the test of time and have become pop culture icons in the decades since.
In the same vein, Dracula by Universal starring Bela Legosi is considered a horror staple and iconic in cinema. For good reason imo. A classic of cinema Legosi is one of the cinematic definitive portrayals of the classic literary character.
Speaking of, Bram Stoker’s Dracula from the 90s gets an honorary mention. The film is a bit hyperbolic, but come on. Oldman’s portrayal is equally iconic lol

The 10 Commandments by Cecil B DeMille. A classic epic based on the story of Moses and in fact a remake of the director’s already popular epic from the 20s. Not even kidding, look it up.
The Prince of Egypt, a remake of said popular epic but done through Disney-Esque animation complete with songs. An ambitious project from the then rather new Dreamworks Studio. Proving that they could be a worthy rival to Disney. All in all, it was a rather mature movie showing off the moving making chops of their creators. Not perfect and a little bit cringe here and there, but personally I think it was a solid effort by the studio.
The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad. Adapted from 1001 Arabian Nights, this classic has inspired countless animators and filmmakers alike. Harryhausen is of course considered a legend of stop motion animation to this day, referenced constantly, even in sitcoms. And the film is considered a classic of cinema. For good reason imo
I really dig Disney’s Treasure Planet. It’s not a fantastic film, but I think it was a decent adaption of the classic Treasure Island. Also I really like steampunk lol
Actually my introduction to Treasure Island was actually the muppet version. For better or worse lol
Honourable mention to the War of the Worlds adaptations. I’m only really familiar with the 1953 version and the 2005(?) version with Tom Cruise. Pretty decent adaptations. Both with their own flaws and merits, I think.

What are some of your faves?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Classics:
The Deer Slayer
Huckleberry Finn
Pride & Prejudice
Oliver Twist
A Christmas Carol

Its a Wonderful Life
Doctor Praetorius
Casablanca

Do Not Go Gently Into That Good Night
Oh I haven’t heard of the last one, Do not go gently into that good night before.

What’s it about?

The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad. Adapted from 1001 Arabian Nights, this classic has inspired countless animators and filmmakers alike. Harryhausen is of course considered a legend of stop motion animation to this day, referenced constantly, even in sitcoms. And the film is considered a classic of cinema. For good reason imo

Jason and the Argonauts too :skull:

garxaY.gif

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Anything goes. Whatever genre, religious text adaptations, the ancient myths, fiction in general, whatever. If you consider it a classic work that has been adapted to screen or hell just a cinematic classic in general, have at it.
What makes a good adaption of a classic? Timelessness? A good translation of the original spirit? Something that transcends the original text even? And since there’s often differing adaptations, which is your favourite version and why?

My list.
Becoming pretty much the ultimate definitive portrayal of the Frankenstein monster (so much so that the Jake Pierce design has appeared in numerous iterations since) Karloff gives an unbelievably impressive and even nuanced performance as the sympathetic Frankenstein Monster (sometimes nicknamed “Adam” in a somewhat sarcastic reference to his creation.)
Though Bride of Frankenstein is technically a closer adaptation to the original Mary Shelly book, nevertheless both films have stood the test of time and have become pop culture icons in the decades since.
In the same vein, Dracula by Universal starring Bela Legosi is considered a horror staple and iconic in cinema. For good reason imo. A classic of cinema Legosi is one of the cinematic definitive portrayals of the classic literary character.
Speaking of, Bram Stoker’s Dracula from the 90s gets an honorary mention. The film is a bit hyperbolic, but come on. Oldman’s portrayal is equally iconic lol

The 10 Commandments by Cecil B DeMille. A classic epic based on the story of Moses and in fact a remake of the director’s already popular epic from the 20s. Not even kidding, look it up.
The Prince of Egypt, a remake of said popular epic but done through Disney-Esque animation complete with songs. An ambitious project from the then rather new Dreamworks Studio. Proving that they could be a worthy rival to Disney. All in all, it was a rather mature movie showing off the moving making chops of their creators. Not perfect and a little bit cringe here and there, but personally I think it was a solid effort by the studio.
I really dig Disney’s Treasure Planet. It’s not a fantastic film, but I think it was a decent adaption of the classic Treasure Island. Also I really like steampunk lol
Actually my introduction to Treasure Island was actually the muppet version. For better or worse lol
Honourable mention to the War of the Worlds adaptations. I’m only really familiar with the 1953 version and the 2005(?) version with Tom Cruise. Pretty decent adaptations. Both with their own flaws and merits, I think.

Probably my favourite: O Brother, Where Art Thou?

(Adapted from the Odyssey)

JIMMY12345

My list.

Future classic Documentary film called Vice about Mr Cheney .Search me why they called it Vice
"Beware the silent man. For while others talk he watched. And while others act he plans. And when they finally rest...He strikes"
Quote from film

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Future classic Documentary film called Vice about Mr Cheney .Search me why they called it Vice
"Beware the silent man. For while others talk he watched. And while others act he plans. And when they finally rest...He strikes"
Quote from film

Vice as in Vice President and/or immoral behaviour.
Documentary? Do you mean this? -
(Great film imo)

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Les Miserables
-(1935, Frederick March, Charles Laughton)

Of Mice and Men
-(1933, Burgess Meredith, Lon Chaney Jr.)

To Kill a Mockingbird
-(1962, Gregory Peck)

A Christmas Carol
-(several versions)

The Last of the Mohicans
-(1992, Daniel Day-Lewis, Madeline Stowe)

Mutiny on the bounty
-(1935, Clark Gable, Charles Laughton)

gnomon

Les Miserables
-(1935, Frederick March, Charles Laughton)

Of Mice and Men
-(1933, Burgess Meredith, Lon Chaney Jr.)

To Kill a Mockingbird
-(1962, Gregory Peck)

A Christmas Carol
-(several versions)

The Last of the Mohicans
-(1992, Daniel Day-Lewis, Madeline Stowe)

Mutiny on the bounty
-(1935, Clark Gable, Charles Laughton)

I have not seen Les Miserables with Charles Laughton but loved him in Mutiny on the Bounty.

I would add Stalag 17 to that list.