• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best chilli dog!??

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
My requirements for a good chili dog is a sturdy enough bun, a good hotdog (all beef, higher quality), and a chili sauce and cheese sauce that are spicy. It must be spicy! Without heat it's just sloppy mess of a weird meat sauce with no right to exist and cheese sauce better used elsewhere.
I like chilli and shredded cheese. Don't forget the raw onions!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
upload_2023-2-11_13-23-17.png

Look at that! A toasted bun, sausage, chilli, shredded cheese. Needs a bit more in the raw onion department. And the onions could be chopped a bit more coarsely.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Sounds good. But a sausage is only half of a chilli dog at most. You only took one of the two words into account. You could make a chilli dog with a Toulouse sausage. Oooh! Getting hungry.

Post #2 explains my foray into chi!li dogs

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I like chilli and shredded cheese. Don't forget the raw onions!
Onions are the grossest things ever, and I find shredded cheese isn't enough for a good chili dog. It needs to be melted and gooey and with yummy hot peppers (I like making a sauce with medium cheddar and Wisconsin cheddar with some habanero to kick it), with plenty if cheese to get a good taste of it every bite.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Okay so this is clearly more of an American thing
But recipes have been popping up left right and centre here about how to recreate the best chilli dog experience ever

What are your fave recipes?
Places that serve them?
Your own unique twist?
Comment below and let me know! Since I am beyond curious and really want to try this yummy staple lol

For reference this is what my Google showed me
Chili dogs
thoughts?
Spanish Sauce (it's what I've always heard it called, but I've sniffed it out at some Mexican carts and trucks) is also pretty good to use.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Post #2 explains my foray into chi!li dogs
I saw that. But remember, even though we are speaking the same language when it comes to food we could be speaking French and German. Even chilli powder alone are two different things. I would not enjoy it, but I could probably eat a teaspoon of chilli powder. I doubt if you could do the same. Chilli powder her is the basic spice that consists of several different dried and ground chilli peppers. Only one of them is hot. Along with some cumin and other spices. British chilli powder is just a dried ground hot pepper like cayenne. There are easily three or four tablespoons of chilli powder in my chilli and it is not hot. At least not from that. I may add some chopped fresh chillis for heat.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Okay so this is clearly more of an American thing
But recipes have been popping up left right and centre here about how to recreate the best chilli dog experience ever

What are your fave recipes?
Places that serve them?
Your own unique twist?
Comment below and let me know! Since I am beyond curious and really want to try this yummy staple lol

For reference this is what my Google showed me
Chili dogs
thoughts?
That looks like a very worthy effort.

And I like the use of more of a Texas chili, no beans.

I don't think that there is any one right recipe. But there are going to be quite a few failures.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Onions are the grossest things ever, and I find shredded cheese isn't enough for a good chili dog. It needs to be melted and gooey and with yummy hot peppers (I like making a sauce with medium cheddar and Wisconsin cheddar with some habanero to kick it), with plenty if cheese to get a good taste of it every bite.
No onions (and their kin) are God's way of saying that he loves us. I can't imagine a chili without both in it. Some raw ones give just a very little of their own special heat. And I do love habaneros. But I live in a house where I am the only pepper head. I have to often add my own heat in at the end.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
That looks like a very worthy effort.

And I like the use of more of a Texas chili, no beans.

I don't think that there is any one right recipe. But there are going to be quite a few failures.
Huh I didn’t know that Texas chilli lacked beans
When Americans are saying chilli in this context (chilli dog) that’s like chilli con carne, right?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Huh I didn’t know that Texas chilli lacked beans
When Americans are saying chilli in this context (chilli dog) that’s like chilli con carne, right?
It would usually be thicker than that. This would be what you could expect at most places in America serving them.
HomemadeHotDogSaucep.jpg

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Food and personal tastes can be weird. One example would be carrots and cilantro. Both have a chemical in them that can taste soapy to some people. It is a real genetic trait. I am lucky since almost any food can taste good to me.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Food and personal tastes can be weird. One example would be carrots and cilantro. Both have a chemical in them that can taste soapy to some people. It is a real genetic trait. I am lucky since almost any food can taste good to me.
Interesting
I hate cauliflower with a fiery passion. But coat it in various spices and I’ll eat it for days lol