• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best book(s) to try on each of the Buddhist schools

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
In the Buddha's Words - An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon.

ed. Bhikkhu Bodhi.
I think I would recommend this as a first, even if it turns out to be "just" a starting point. It's quite long but well structured. Presumably to aid memorisation the discourses are tediously repetitive so you just have to grit your teeth. If you dive into other trads/schools (Mahayana / Vajrayana) before this it might be rather confusing (given these post-date the Pali canon).

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I think at this point I have the basics down and that is why I feel comfortable learning about the specifics of each school. Thank you!
Ok then crazy cat lady. Regarding Zen, I can't speak for anything that's come out in recent years, but you may wish to take a look at Opening the Hand of Thought by Kosho Uchyama. He was a Soto Zen priest and abbot. It is a book that has survived my occasional culls, although it is a little dusty. :rolleyes:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Ok then crazy cat lady. Regarding Zen, I can't speak for anything that's come out in recent years, but you may wish to take a look at Opening the Hand of Thought by Kosho Uchyama. He was a Soto Zen priest and abbot. It is a book that has survived my occasional culls, although it is a little dusty. :rolleyes:

Crazy cat lady thanks you.:catface:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Crazy cat lady thanks you.:catface:
Quiet please. Meditation in progress.

8EC1B4C7-6EAB-4FC2-81AE-9F1F3CDD6E62.jpeg