• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Berkeley's desired outcome?

Akivah

I just read that Ann Coulter's planned appearance at Berkeley was cancelled due to threats of violence. Assuming that you dislike Ann Coulter, do you consider this to be a victory? Is suppressing dissenting opinions the way that you believe our country should be?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I just read that Ann Coulter's planned appearance at Berkeley was cancelled due to threats of violence. Assuming that you dislike Ann Coulter, do you consider this to be a victory? Is suppressing dissenting opinions the way that you believe our country should be?
I would rather spend the day shoving cow manure than listen to her for 1/2 hour, but the answer is not violence or suppression, the answer is to have everyone involved watch this beer commercial (surprised? I was when I stumbled on this the other day)

Heineken's new ad gets totally political, and it's surprisingly great.

esmith

Veteran Member
If you don't want to hear what she or anyone else has to say then stay away. If you want to react with violence in any manner then you should be willing to accept whatever legal actions are taken against you. Just because you disagree with a persons opinion does not give you the right to attempt them from expressing their freedom of speech.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I do not. Unfortunately professors who live in their mini-worlds develop a culture that can become idealist and somewhat isolated, and then this can somehow translate to students. We also have large campuses that are voluntarily segregated as large groups of students only hang together without mixing. I mean that various clumps of students do not desire to interact with other kinds of students. At all, and so fear and misjudgment are hallmarks of universities. I think tenure is still important, but tenure is partly the cause. The real cause is that university life for students is an expensive, unrealistic yuppy interpretation of the world.

David1967

Premium Member
I think that their desired outcome for one, is the fall of the United States government. Even though the protections it affords them ,they are benefitting from. They hate free speech and act violently to those who practice it. Disgusting.

David1967

Premium Member
I would rather spend the day shoving cow manure than listen to her for 1/2 hour, but the answer is not violence or suppression, the answer is to have everyone involved watch this beer commercial (surprised? I was when I stumbled on this the other day)

Heineken's new ad gets totally political, and it's surprisingly great.

I don't subscribe to many of her views myself, but if I don't want to hear what she has to say, I will just stay home. Don't understand these people who think free speech only applies to their speech.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I think it's natural for children to react strongly against things that make them upset. There seem to be a lot more children of college age than there used to be. I expect this is a side-effect of culture and parenting.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I don't subscribe to many of her views myself, but if I don't want to hear what she has to say, I will just stay home. Don't understand these people who think free speech only applies to their speech.
That I disagree with her about so much is why I would probably go. Who wants to stand around and listen to someone you already agree with?
That's boring.
Tom

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

No. It is not a victory. It is, in my opinion, an instance of fascistic practice. And fascism is neither left nor right. It is burning books and shutting up people because we do not agree.

As much as I despise the ideas of that lady, I can only quote Voltaire: I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

I mean. What are those peope afraid of? Her ideas? Lol. That is the most self defeating thing i can think of.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Akivah

Did everyone see the essay from Pranav Jandhyala? He is the leader of the group at Berkeley that invited her to speak.

I invited Ann Coulter to speak at UC Berkeley. Here’s why.

Our organization (BridgeUSA) hopes to create a future in which our campus and our country are venues for free and fair political discussion and debate from all sides. We stand for the preservation of spaces where political ideas can be shared and challenged without fear of violence.

We also understand that many see her as an inflammatory figure with destructive beliefs that disqualify her from appearing at an institution of higher learning. But we believe the only productive way to fight views one sees as bad or dangerous is with better views.

All is not lost at Berkeley.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
I do not think that silencing people aids in showing how wrong they are. Better to let them speak and make fools of themselves. The format, however, is important, and people with lunatic fringe opinions like Coulter should not be handed a solo platform, they should be provided with a debate.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
All is not lost at Berkeley.

The loud and reactive are never the most rational, reasonable, or effective. Then again, such behavior is little more than a temper tantrum, so its purpose is primarily to serve as an unregulated emotional outlet, not to accomplish anything useful or productive.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The loud and reactive are never the most rational, reasonable, or effective. Then again, such behavior is little more than a temper tantrum, so its purpose is primarily to serve as an unregulated emotional outlet, not to accomplish anything useful or productive.
It seems this way to me too.
Exacerbated by internet communications making it easier to remain in a bubble.

This is a big part of the reason I suspect that social pressures might be more effective than law enforcement or security guards.
Tom

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it's natural for children to react strongly against things that make them upset. There seem to be a lot more children of college age than there used to be. I expect this is a side-effect of culture and parenting.

Or more likely a side-effect of a lack of culture and parenting.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
For some people, yes it does.
On both counts.

Wirey

Fartist
I think threats of violence were completely warranted. After all, if two people in the US with opposing viewpoints engage in rational discourse, the sun might explode.